Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Best Oil for 2006 Aygo 1.0 Petrol

flembot

My Aygo has got about 120 odd thousand miles on it. I suppose it is a bit old at this stage but I am trying to keep it going as long as possible whilst I keep saving for a decent deposit for a house. So whilst I'd like to change the car, I think I'll keep it for now. 

Question is - in terms of oil I've been keeping it topped up to the max mark with 5w 30 oil - is there any particular brand or type of oil that is more optimally suited to this motor?

Thanks

5W-30 will be Toyota's preferred oil for this car. Oil should be to API SL, SM, SN or the latest standard SP. No stipulation as to whether it should be semi or fully synthetic. Toyota don't recommend any brand, so that is a personal choice.

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

5W-30 will be Toyota's preferred oil for this car. Oil should be to API SL, SM, SN or the latest standard SP. Toyota don't recommend any brand.

Is there much advantage going for the SP standard?

Here's what is said about SP oil

Introduced in May 2020, designed to provide protection against low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI), timing chain wear protection, improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons and turbochargers, and more stringent sludge and varnish control. API SP with Resource Conserving matches ILSAC GF-6A by combining API SP performance with improved fuel economy, emission control system protection and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85.

API Oil Gategories

Wouldn't pay extra to go to SP. 

Just go for the highest standard within your budget. 

For example Amazon have API SM and SN oils from around £15 for 5 litres - eg RS Mannol Energy Synthetic 5W-30 5 litres £14.99.

Should be able to get a reasonable oil for between £15-£35 for 4 to 5 litres.

id put 10/40 in a high milage engine, slows up usage , still an approved grade

I agree with Frostballs and I'd use whatever grade is recommended in your handbook.  

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I don't think oil brand matters that much.  I mean, I've seen people made a big fuss over Mobil 1 / Castrol and completely trash Triple Q / Mannol / DriveTec etc.  Rather than using expensive oil, I would much more prefer to use Cheap oil but replace on a slightly more frequent bases (5000-6000 miles is my standard).

My previous car is a 2005 Renault Clio.  I owned it since July 2016 (64 K miles), June 2021 (122 k) is when it dies.  Not because of engine failure, but electronic faults one after an other.  (Oct 2020 Immobiliser ECU, Dec 2020 Ignition Coil, May 2021 Engine temperature light at COLD start, June 2021 Limp mode with Glow plug warning light on Petrol car...)

Also, I've seen a few cars starting to consume oil once the oil have done 5-6K.  I suspect that's when the oil Viscosity starts to break down.  So might just well.

As for using thicker oil (10w40)... I've seen argument both FOR and AGAINST.  Personally, I would stay on 5w30, my past experience told me if you change the oil regularly, it would be other stuff dies before the engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links