Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ipod Adapter Frustrations

dolce vita

Ciao everyone,

I've talked to Toyota and a car stereo autfit and it seems my options are very limited in regards to adio in my D-4D. It has the CD player installed. I want to hook up my iPod and the Toyota VTYX001 adapter seems like the best bet.

It seems like the best bet is to find the Toyota auxiliary interface adapter VTYX001, but the Toyota dealers here have never heard of it and can't find the model number that is used in the UK. I've found two UK websites that seem to carry it and I've tried emailing and calling to no avail, I suspect the sites are closed.

Can anyone tell me where I can find one of these adapters? It seems remarkable that they designed this car to exclude optional audio choices. They all tell me I can't install a different CD player even if I wanted to.

Any thoughts?

thanks

dave

oh also I have tried several FM transmitters and they all stink.

They all tell me I can't install a different CD player even if I wanted to.

Lies. Here is mine:

Headunit.jpg

I wos told u couldn't but then quite easily found out u could!

Sorry can't help u with the rest!

Cheers :thumbsup:

just get a MP3 headunit

Like mine! :hokus-pokus: Btw mine only costs £120 which ain't 2 bad tbh!

thats not bad, I paid 254 for mine, it was the first MP3 headunit(other people had to pay 350)

I think there are some aftermarket headunit that you can plug in ipods

Hey gang,

http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_detail...&type=0&cat=311

Is this what I need to connect an iPod through the factory installed (Fujitsu 10) radio? I have the RCA connector cord already and it looks like the right plugs...

My other question I suppose would be how to switch it over to the iPod from the CD or radio or whatever...

Thanks for advice

dave

actually i think not. I think it's back to the same Connect2 VTYX001 adaptor. The latter was just for Sony CD changer.

Well, just have to keep searching. Have found a site in the UK but they won't ship to Italy. I might have a lead though in Italy, will try tomorrow.

the iPod can use a wireless RF modulator off the OE headunit

speak to GIDDLEPIN about it

hi guys, i just got my ipod ice-link installed in my yts

5-picture2.gif

it cost £100 in total from www.ihavetohave.it and it is sooooooo easy to install. u just plug into into the changer controller on the back of the head unit. they also do a connector for the factory fit unit as well but it is another £30

OK... The end of my saga. I found a place here in Milan, a little sh*thole car audio garage that had a Toyota auxiliary interface made by a company called Pie (www.pie.net).

I installed it with the help of the photographic guide from a former post here, and plugged it in as described (though the end going into the head unit was very very tight).

With the Belkin lighter adaptor for the iPod (which charges it AND has an auxiliary out port with volume--very important because the headphone jack is not a good line out for this type of thing), it works GREAT. You have to toggle to CD-1 using the audio button beside the clock. Just as good as CD quality. far far better than any FM adaptor I tried.

I'm going iriver instead : Superior sound quality et al. and going to plug the line out into the cd changer adapter. Will also get a swticthable toggle so that I can either use the cd changer or the iriver.....

I am soooooooooo fed up with buring cds :eek:

n :eek: b

Superior sound quality from an iRiver?

Ummm, methinks you might not understand the many different compression options for the iPod. Actually since the iPod can also play at its lossless compression, it is technically impossible for iRiver to offer "better" sound quality (it's the same as CD quality at that setting).

Nothing comes close to the iPod.

it is technically impossible for iRiver to offer "better" sound quality (it's the same as CD quality at that setting).

Nothing comes close to the iPod.

-- it is technically impossible for iRiver to offer "better" sound quality (it's the same as CD quality at that setting).

iriver can play uncompressed audio too like the majority of other players. Its the delivery of the sound (the final result) which is important and where the iriver excels. codec uncompression of an mp3 file or similar will be the same no matter what the player expensive or cheap.

-- Nothing comes close to the iPod.

Read the reviews and most importantly listen to one plugged into an audio stack makes the ipod sound like a kids toy.

I got an iTrip and a Belkin TuneDok - the pod sits in the front cup holder and you cant even tell its over the radio the signal is great.

having a dock connector would be nice though, hmm - for the future I think

• 2 weeks later...

chris im a bit confused

do I need all these parts

Dension ice>Link:iPod

Toyota

ice>Link:iPod v1.1 with Unilink cable set 1 £46.81

Toyota installation adaptor for Yaris, Corolla, Avensis, Picnic and RAV4 1 £42.55

ProClip Toyota Starlet 96-98 Centre mount £12.76

PS its for a Starlet

yes u do mate.

the ice link is the ipod cradle, the adapter is the thing that converts the signals from the head unit into ipod remote signals and then there is the thing that u mount the ice>link onto which attaches to your dash.

hope this helps

chris

why does the headunit have to talk to the headunit?

can I just have a

3.5mm jack to RCA (cheap from local shop)

then RCA to changer cable (15 quid from alpine)

and the mount thing (as above)

that would be a lot cheaper

the cradle has everythin built in. it has a dock connector in it. so all the sound goes through it directly into ur head unit via the dock connector socket, plus it charges ur ipod at the same time.

so to keep the cost down, would my metod work, but the ipod would have to be charged up at home?

the adaptor isnt for the Starlet , i dont think they sell one

what are the output calbles like on the adapter?

they are the standard phono connections. there are 3 cables comin from the cradle the other one is the one that goes into the adapter which goes into the changer socket. i presume it would work. but i dont know if u can buy them seperatly from the website.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am testing a FM transmitter to connect my mini ipod but the yaris radio autosearch is keeping on tuning out of the band/signal that i require after 5-10 seconds as it identifies it as weak.

I have looked at the radio manual but did not find how to switch of the AS (autosearch) feature, does anyone have any idea how this can be done please?

Cheers :)

T

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links