Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

help with clutch/throttle "bite" adjustment possible- stop the kangaroo?

Electronic Battle

Hello

I have had my 65 Plate Yaris Icon 1.33 petrol (25k miles) for several weeks and I just cannot get the clutch/throttle balance just right - the "bite" point -  pulling off in first still causes me to kangaroo like a learner!

Is the clutch or the drive-by-wire throttle adjustable?

The problem seems to me to be (1) the clutch doesn't bite until the very top of travel and (2) the throttle is very very sensitive such that a small number of millimetres of travel revs to 2k/3k rpm.  It's OK if I want to launch off the spot at flat out but not so clever for economical driving or traffic or caution etc.

It might be my incompetence but then again I do habitually drive two other cars without difficulty and I usually find I get the swing of things within a few starts (when first driving e.g. a hire car or recently when going for test drives for buying a new car) or within (say) ten minutes of town driving.  I'll ask my wife to drive the Yaris to see if she also struggles.

What is feasible to ask for adjustment when the car goes for a service - anything?

My wife's now driven the car and she also found her driving experience to be the same as mine. We both think the car suffers from an over-sensitive throttle which makes it difficult to get the clutch to bite at (say) 1000 or 1500 rpm rather than the 2 or 3k it revs to as soon as the throttle pedal begins to move. 

We also realise that we're both used to driving diesel cars, or old (20+ years old) petrol cars, rather than new petrol cars.  Perhaps modern petrol cars have rev / throttle position profiles like this Yaris to balance out rpm vs gearing vs economy. Perhaps I shall need to learn to avoid  throttle movement when engaging the initial first gear "pulling off".  

(I might still speak to the main dealer though; perhaps it is a common observation made by owners new to Yaris).

I also found the move over from a Peugeot 307 diesel hard work. I would frequently stall the car and found it hard to get the bite point correct. My wife's experience  was much the same and it took us a good 6 month to get used to it. I still seem to over rev the car so it does not stall.

That's useful - and encouraging - to know.  It's early days for me, having only bought it three or so weeks ago, so perhaps I am being impatient. Old dogs and new tricks and so on!

Had a similar issue going from a Mk1 D4D to a Mk2 VVTi - Getting used to how gutless petrol engines are after driving a diesel for so long was tough!!

I found I had to get used to feeding in more revs as I operated the clutch. I also had to go back to rolling the clutch pedal back on my heel rather than using my leg, for the finer control, if I wanted to move off smoothly, while at the same time feeding in the power. It gave me bad memories of my learner days driving the world's most gutless Corsa :laugh:

• 2 years later...

I’m glad it’s not just me. I’ve driven all sorts of cars (new and very old) over the last twenty years and I’m really struggling to get to grips with the bite point of the Auris. I’m a month in and still kangaroo it unless I give it some welly. Stop/starting smoothly within low speed areas like car parks etc is really difficult! My 1935 Austin 7 clutch was easier to master!!!

I’m hoping I’ll get used to it, otherwise I won’t be keeping the Auris long. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links