Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wiper woes

jahel

First I would like to say a big thank you to all those wonderful members that helped me out last month, I really appreciate the support & incredible knowledge freely given on this forum. The new Battery works well.

Now just before previous Battery died I bought a wiper blade from eBay. It was listed as suitable for my 2010 Aygo. Last Friday I took an old friend for a run & on the way back the wiper blade flew off, my quick thinking friend helped me retrieve it. She noticed it fell off just outside a garage & insisted we drive into the garage where a mechanic was working crying "damsels in distress! damsels in distress!" 

The mechanic was very kind & helpful & found some tape & sellotape to fix it on with, turns out he is the owner of the garage, he gave me his card & after a lecture on the 12 different types of aygo 2010 wipers & the evils of eBay he advised me to go to the Toyota garage & show them the business card & buy a £50 wiper blade. I didn't go - as £50 seemed a bit steep? but it's been raining all weekend & I need to visit builders merchant. 

Would a phone call to Toyota & a namedrop be a good plan, or phone a local spare parts supplier, or should I look on eBay again, (cheaper option)? ebay seem to be the only suppliers that ship to the islands... 

Go for the phone call. 

Even if they don't fit it I am sure you will get plenty of advice. 

Different car but I had a speedo cable break.  I rang the nearest franchise garage some 15 miles away ;they had one on stock. When I arrived it was sitting on the counter. 

It was necessary to undo a particular nut under the dash. It needed a socket wrench with 450 mm extension.  He said it was so awkward they had one with it all welded together. Once removed it wasn't necessary to replace it. 

Thanks to the advice received the job was easy, saved me agro and money, and I got it done the same day.  They got a bucket of goodwill. 

Toyota wiper part number 85212-YZZAY £12.18 from your local Toyota parts department

• Like 3

I get my blades from Halfords , a local car parts place , they fit them as well ...

my sister lives near the Toyota dealer , and goes there for hers , same price as I pay , so my advice , go wherever is local  to you ....buy a decent branded blade and ask them to fit it 

Note Janet is not in UK and lives on an island. Could be a Scottish Island or Channel Isles. 

I haven't changed my Wiper Blades in decades with my last two cars changed at the 15 year point.  Previously though I have had to just replace the rubber alone as I could not get the right fittings.  The rubber I got in Turkey fitted but the thin blade portion was wider than the original and gave too much friction. 

Devon's suggestion but try and get them posted out and possibly local garage to fit if your Toyota dealer really is £50.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:
12 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Toyota wiper part number 85212-YZZAY £12.18 from your local Toyota parts department

Thank you, I have quoted this part number in an email to the dealership 1 mile down the road, ( there is no parts dept here). However I recently carried a very heavy Battery home from them! so you never know.  Hopefully they will reply...

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Janet is not in UK and lives on an island

Think Janet may be in Jersey.

Note Janet is not in UK and lives on an island. Could be a Scottish Island or Channel Isles. 

I haven't changed my wiper blades in decades with my last two cars changed at the 15 year point.  Previously though I have had to just replace the rubber alone as I could not get the right fittings.  The rubber I got in Turkey fitted but the thin blade portion was wider than the original and gave too much friction. 

Devon's suggestion but try and get them posted out and possibly local garage to fit if your Toyota dealer really is £50.

I live in the island that civilisation forgot, (Jersey C I) I wish I could obtain a rubber, the original blade is in good nick, I can't see a new blade costing £50 either, but the mechanic that temporarily reattached the eBay blade that fell off outside his garage may have an agenda, or maybe he was making a point... who knows...

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Think Janet may be in Jersey.

Yes Jersey, the Potemkin village hiding in plain sight, where any kind of repair or maintenance on cars or property is an impossibility unless you are in the trade, and have the right contacts as well.

I haven't changed my wiper blades in decades with my last two cars changed at the 15 year point.  Previously though I have had to just replace the rubber alone as I could not get the right fittings.  The rubber I got in Turkey fitted but the thin blade portion was wider than the original and gave too much friction. 

I have tried to find a rubber before. If eBay don't sell them then they are extinct.

13 minutes ago, jahel said:

I have just heard back from someone outside the organisation (according to the email warning) 

"We do have this wiper blade in stock if you would like to pop in"

I will pop in - but I won't pay more than £13 though.

Janet, take the one from eBay, just to make sure it is different and they might even take it off your hands for a consideration. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bitch1001 said:

I get my blades from Halfords , a local car parts place , they fit them as well ...

my sister lives near the Toyota dealer , and goes there for hers , same price as I pay , so my advice , go wherever is local  to you ....buy a decent branded blade and ask them to fit it 

Thanks, no Halfords in Jersey, but wil pop into toyota dealership today as there is one in stock 😌

6 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Janet, take the one from Ebay, just to make sure it is different and they might even take it off your hands for a consideration. 

I will take the original valeo, the eBay non valeo  blade is in situ - taped on with sellotape!

14 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Go for the phone call. 

Even if they don't fit it I am sure you will get plenty of advice. 

Different car but I had a speedo cable break.  I rang the nearest franchise garage some 15 miles away ;they had one on stock. When I arrived it was sitting on the counter. 

It was necessary to undo a particular nut under the dash. It needed a socket wrench with 450 mm extension.  He said it was so awkward they had one with it all welded together. Once removed it wasn't necessary to replace it. 

Thanks to the advice received the job was easy, saved me agro and money, and I got it done the same day.  They got a bucket of goodwill. 

So pleased you had a good experience there. The Toyota spare parts & mechanical guys are wonderful. It's the car salesmen that are diabolically possessed!

19 minutes ago, jahel said:

It's the car salesmen that are diabolically possessed!

So it's the same in Jersey .......

• Sad 1

If its just the blade, go for a Bosch one...they are the best. Dont go for a bigger one as they are awful and found they squeel. If its the actual arm you need, I used one from eBay which was fine. Can be tricky to get off the spindle though as splined bit gets stuck and you may need to carefully cut off with a hacksaw (not that difficult).

9 hours ago, jahel said:

I have just heard back from someone outside the organisation (according to the email warning) 

"We do have this wiper blade in stock if you would like to pop in"

I will pop in - but I won't pay more than £13 though.

Another big thank you to all for the advice regarding the wiper blade. I went to Toyota,  the part number I quoted left the spare parts salesmen mystified as did the name of the e-mailer that responded to my query & assured me they had one in stock, I had to show Toyota chap the email, quite bizarre.

The men confirmed that the old wiper is the original one, ( which I suspected) it was broken too. When I asked what a new wiper would cost he said £20 - £30. I said no way I would pay that. After a while he came back with a new wiper, how much £? I asked, it was under £11. They were glad to be shot of me!  I think I did really well there.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links