Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Work

corrolaSR1998

As my user name would suggest, i have a 98 Corrolla SR. the engine is bog standard 1.6. im in two minds weither to modify it. would love a forced air induction kit and straight thru exhaust with some sort of ECU upgrade. what sort of BHP could i get without huge engine work? is it worth it? any info / advice welcomed!!!

Change the engine mate :lol::lol:

The 4afe is a bit weak the make bhp would be 125-130 you could get out of it :( Thats exhaust airfilter superchip even then you might not get the above bhp figure :( :(

But then you have to change your suspension, brakes, wheels & tyres......

Depends how much money you want to spend I guess.

Change the engine mate :lol::lol:

The 4afe is a bit weak the make bhp would be 125-130 you could get out of it :( Thats exhaust airfilter superchip even then you might not get the above bhp figure :( :(

What engine are you running in yours Knowleson? I thought the G6R etc all had the same engine as the GS/SR?

Ad

It's a supercharged 1600cc 4a-gze from a Toyota Levin GT-Z - Iknow this -I have one as well :thumbsup: :P :yes: :P

or if you win the lottery you could swap in a 3S-GTE :)

engine change really not gona happen, im 19, live in northern ireland. insurance is a joke and my bank balance aint high (student) i would be happy with 140/150 bhp!

140-150 bhp is going to be problematic & expensive. There's polishing and porting the engine and I've read a little about a turbo kit but have never heard of anyone who's done it.

125 - 129 bhp should be easy and I've been told all you need to do is lower it and uprate the breakpads at that level of performance. For 125-129 bhp (fensport figures) you need a chip, an inducyion kit and a 'zorst.

140-150 bhp is going to be problematic & expensive. There's polishing and porting the engine and I've read a little about a turbo kit but have never heard of anyone who's done it.

125 - 129 bhp should be easy and I've been told all you need to do is lower it and uprate the breakpads at that level of performance. For 125-129 bhp (fensport figures) you need a chip, an inducyion kit and a 'zorst.

Yep that's right. I had the standard 4a-fe engine with supechip induction and exhaust and I'm sure it wasn't even 120bhp.

Really? Not even an 11bhp gain for £600??? Jesus! :censor: Hmmmm, that's made me consider a few things.

I emailed fensport and asked what bhp I'd get with the chip. zorst and induction kit and they reckoned on 125-129bhp.

They reckoned that my 4a-gze should get 190bhp with induction exhaust and bigger pulley. Wheel I've got all that and I can only get 165bhp so who do want to believe?? I haven't beem able to 190 even with a Unichip on top of that lot :crybaby:

I dare say that it's in Fensports best interests to claim more power than is actually delivered. Before I blame Fensport it may well be the case that manufacturers such as Ramair, Superchips, Mongoose et al claim higher increases than are actually delivered.

I'm surprised at the 4a-fe being so untunable. The Pug/Citroen 1.6 16v produces 120bhp as standard and LAD motorsport can get 165bhp fairly easily out of it. I almost bought a Saxo VTS too..........

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links