Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo clutch lifespan?

Mikes1992u

13 hours ago, Garethbr said:

My 2013 Aygo is just coming up to 146000 miles and I'm still on the original clutch (much motorway driving in its first five years- I've only just replaced its first set of brake pads!). However, now there is a 'chirping' noise when the clutch pedal is fully up. The noise stops when you rest your foot on the clutch pedal. Could this be the thrust bearing (clutch release bearing)?

Gareth - you've started your own thread on this subject, posting in more than one place splits replies and can cause confusion ☺️

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/202578-chirping-clutch/

Could we conclude (and could i feel safe) by saying the times when a clutch on an Aygo passed away at 30k miles is gone ..

And nowadays a normal lifespan can be expected ?

For those who drive many different vehicles the high bite could be a problem and cause extra wear.
For the others who only drive their Aygo, one should get used to it in a few days or max a month or so ?

31 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

From late 2008 the 190mm (Yaris) clutch has been the standard fit.

I know, that’s why I said “early” models, but some memories still hurt (the wallet). It didn’t seem right that a design error put so many customers to a disadvantage.

2 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

From late 2008 the 190mm (Yaris) clutch has been the standard fit.

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

I know, that’s why I said “early” models, but some memories still hurt (the wallet). It didn’t seem right that a design error put so many customers to a disadvantage.

I felt the same when the 180mm clutch in my previous 2008 model failed suddenly on my way to work one morning (I was able to limp to work and then back home the following weekend) and I had to pay the full cost of fitting a 190mm replacement.

Topics merged

5 hours ago, haelewyn said:

Could we conclude (and could i feel safe) by saying the times when a clutch on an Aygo passed away at 30k miles is gone ..

And nowadays a normal lifespan can be expected ?

For those who drive many different vehicles the high bite could be a problem and cause extra wear.
For the others who only drive their Aygo, one should get used to it in a few days or max a month or so ?

Not exactly.  Clutch wear greatly dependent on:

1. City driving vs Motorway driving - You can travel 10 - 30 miles on the motorway without having to touch the clutch pedal once, whereas in the city, you could engage the clutch 10 times or more in just one mile.

2. Personal Driving style - Do you use the hand brake on a hill or do you hold it with the clutch?

3. Mountainous terrain vs Mostly flat city.

I mean, I can make a clutch last 100K miles.  But I can also burn one up in less than 1000 miles by launching, downshifting with the clutch semi engage and holding on a hill just with the clutch.

Those are often an example of how to drive your car right or wrong.
Waiting for the light to go green is an other moment when you can abuse the clutch or putting ones foot on the pedal while driving (also on the highway).

Just meant to say :  the new version is ok, I guess. No premature failures reported (?). If you drive it right, it will last a normal lifespan now.
For me that is around minimum 60k miles when doing mainly city trafic and for ever if driving mainly on the highway.

I do more city driving because of age and changed life style.. Which makes me do a lot less distance per year.  I guess I will never have to replace a clutch on the thing or at least that is what I hope for. Maybe I will never put more than 30.000 miles on the counter. Then it becomes less important if the clutch can do 100.000 or 150.000.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links