Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bought a new Aygo and having some questions

haelewyn

Hi guys.

I am driving a Renault now, used to be a Toyota fan before..
Renault is 'crap' in the 'everything breaks on it' department as to be expected, altough I am sorry to see it go as IMHO it drove a lot nicer than my Auris I had before.
Aygo (new one) is in stock but still asked to add some things.. Will be delivered to me end of this month.

I was wondering about several things but mainly the radio / multimedia.
Did a testdrive but switched the radio off to hear other engine sounds.

I was wondering : are you guys happy with the onboard radio system ? Good sound quality ?
I read it has built in wifi ??
Does it connect to the phone by wifi too then ?
Is there a difference between BT connected or USB (cable) connected in what you can  use it for ?
Can wireless (BT or Wifi) control all things, especially maps / GPS ?

Thanks for your opinions.
I was able to buy a bigger car but considering higher fuel prices and only doing less than 4000 miles a year in city driving conditions, made me choose this cheap car that seems to hold it's value well. Altough now, i must confess, I am kind of crapping my pants about how it will be to drive it in the long run.
I had parking sensors added and heated seats in the front just to make me feel more comfortable and help me love the new car, smallest one I ever bought in my entire life. 😁

There is no in-car WiFi on UK models, not sure where you are from.

UK models do not have GPS.

You can connect your phone by bluetooth for calls.

If you wish to use Android Auto or Apple Car Play, you need to connect via USB cable and then APPs can be controlled via the touchscreen.

The sound system in my top of the range UK model is adequate

Parking sensors are not needed, it is so small.

• Thanks 1

I agree with you on the car being tiny and actually not needing parking sensors.

My past experiences play a role in my choice too..
I have been used to parking in some places and going close to a wall,also in the dark. I am used to listening how far away I am instead of looking.
In a stress situation, it happened to me once that on a car with no sensors, i hit a light pole, broke the car window and dented the trunk. Was a 2000 euro thing.
If I had sensors there, maybe the damage would have been smaller.
I want to avoid that in future.

Sound system : i think they make them with 2, 4 and 6 Speakers.
I will have 4..  I think on a top range AYGO you will have 6.
Would be a probability I could just add 2 Speakers and end up with the top spec sound too. I will have the same sound system with the android auto / Apple Car Play possibility. I think they are the same one in every trim.
Adding an amplifier and new Speakers would improve sound too but that's maybe a step too far.

is it true that the multimedia system does not allow treble, bass, mid to be adjusted ?
Or that you can not charge the phone Battery by connecting it by USB cable to the car ?

I use a wireless adaptor for the Apple car play which allows me to control maps and everything without the cable having to be connected. You can charge the phone Battery by connecting it via USB cable to the car. As far as adjusting treble and bass etc. I've never bothered with adjusting those things. However, I'm pleased with the sound quality.

11 hours ago, haelewyn said:

I agree with you on the car being tiny and actually not needing parking sensors.

is it true that the multimedia system does not allow treble, bass, mid to be adjusted ?
Or that you can not charge the phone battery by connecting it by USB cable to the car ?

I ordered the parking sensors, in the UK at least even though you factory order them they are a dealer fit.

On my x-clusiv you CAN adjust bass, middle & treble.

The phone DOES charge, albeit slowly, when connected using the USB that also enables CarPlay & Android Auto.

Ever since the 3 button radio was fitted you cannot have built-in sat nav, but with CarPlay & Android Auto only someone who doesn't own a smart phone would need it.

I envy you the heated seats as they are not even an option in the UK.

Parking sensors are (original) a strange fit as for the Aygo they come in a set of TWO sensors.
No idea if that is a negative thing and if four would be better. I kind of trust on Toyota ...  I guess they have made the right choice and anyway, i hope so.
Also factory ordered, but dealer fit here.

Slow charging of the phone : had that in my Renault too..

Mine will have a 3 button radio.
Sound quality worries me a bit as the radio in my Megane had a really great sound. So I hope this one will at least be ok.
Hearing you guys : good chance it will.
If not, I will look for a replacement or improvement of the current system.

Built in sat nav : won't go for that as I only use the nav function maybe 2 times a year.
I believe the Android auto connection can give a better GPS function and I already downloaded 3 different apps, just to be ready for it all.
I think I will prefer one that warns me if I exceed the speed limit. That makes up a bit for not having Traffic sign recognition.

Heated seats : I had it in a few cars and altough I know I can live without it, it makes me happy if I have it in winter and it gives me a feeling of luxury.
It is not an original Toyota part though. It's an aftermarket and other brand thing. But the Toyota dealer will install it .

Does anybody have an idea about the sound system quality of the 2021 model ? Any better than the mark I ??

10 hours ago, haelewyn said:

Does anybody have an idea about the sound system quality of the 2021 model ? Any better than the mark I ??

The sound quality on my 2020 Mk2 is much better than it was on my 2008 Mk1 - on my Mk1 I changed the head unit changed the dash Speakers, fitted front door Speakers, rear Speakers and a sub but haven't felt the need to do any of this on my Mk2.

That's a relief, .. then i don't need to think too hard about changing the entire MM stuff probably.

I read a lot of complaints about the stereo in the Mk1, ... nothing really yet about the Mk2.

On 10/17/2021 at 9:33 AM, PetrolDave said:

I envy you the heated seats as they are not even an option in the UK.

If your handy with the spanners they can be retrofitted - removing front seat covers isn't for the faint hearted by I've retrofitted kits to 3 different cars over the years.

Finding a good 12 AMP power source + installing cables to switches, relay, installing it all neatly was something I wanted to leave to the dealer for a brand new car..
If the fuses blow when i use two heaters at the same time, it's their problem to solve  🙂

I used to think it's a bit crazy to want heated seats but a few winters using it made me an addict myself.

A lot of things that are not on the Aygo but were present on the Renault, I won't miss, though.
Maybe one thing I am going to miss is engine power. Maybe going on the highway on a climbing road will be hard (?)

19 minutes ago, haelewyn said:

Maybe one thing I am going to miss is engine power. Maybe going on the highway on a climbing road will be hard (?)

It's like driving any smaller engined car, conservation of momentum is key so changing down early on hills is the trick. There's quite a long hill on the A361 going West out of Tiverton but I could pass many cars going up there simply by changing down to 4th gear before the hill and making sure I got to the bottom doing 60mph.

How much do you usually rev the car if you want it to really go ?

I still have a obd tool here which can warn me on 6000 revs although I am used to shifting gear up rather early now.

5 hours ago, haelewyn said:

How much do you usually rev the car if you want it to really go ?

I've got x-shift on my Mk2 so the question doesn't arise!

On my Mk1 which was a manual I found that going beyond 5500rpm was pointless as it got breathless so changing up was better.

On 10/16/2021 at 6:33 PM, haelewyn said:

Hi guys.

I am driving a Renault now, used to be a Toyota fan before..
Renault is 'crap' in the 'everything breaks on it' department as to be expected, altough I am sorry to see it go as IMHO it drove a lot nicer than my Auris I had before.
Aygo (new one) is in stock but still asked to add some things.. Will be delivered to me end of this month.

I was wondering about several things but mainly the radio / multimedia.
Did a testdrive but switched the radio off to hear other engine sounds.

I was wondering : are you guys happy with the onboard radio system ? Good sound quality ?
I read it has built in wifi ??
Does it connect to the phone by wifi too then ?
Is there a difference between BT connected or USB (cable) connected in what you can  use it for ?
Can wireless (BT or Wifi) control all things, especially maps / GPS ?

Thanks for your opinions.
I was able to buy a bigger car but considering higher fuel prices and only doing less than 4000 miles a year in city driving conditions, made me choose this cheap car that seems to hold it's value well. Altough now, i must confess, I am kind of crapping my pants about how it will be to drive it in the long run.
I had parking sensors added and heated seats in the front just to make me feel more comfortable and help me love the new car, smallest one I ever bought in my entire life. 😁

We collected a new Aygo for my wife several weeks ago.  She seems very happy with it.  I certainly like driving it- even if it is small compared to my car.  

It has a good range of  features for a 'basic car' - collision mitigation, lane warning, reversing camera ...  The stereo has DAB and seems more than adequate.  True no Sat Nav but built in ones can be a pain. I have one on my  Outlander and updating it is expensive.  Conversely, we can use either Google Maps or, as my Wife prefers, a Garmin which we had for her previous car and has lifetime updates. 

It lacks  heated seats but we have those on our Outlander and not only don't use them but don't like them. Each to their own. 

A boot light would be nice.   I added a delay to the interior light door switch as she found the lack of delay a pain.  

I like the fact it has a spare wheel- a real bug bear of mine. 

Try Carwow- I've used them twice, including for the Aygo. Good deals both times. 

I am outside UK... We don't have Carwow here, but thanks for the advice.

Satnav built in is something I won't need. Would have liked to have collision mitigation and lane warning, but I bought a stock model and it doesn't have these features.
I don't think it can be added afterwards easily so that will be one thing for my next car, I'm afraid.
I will collect it from the garage in a few weeks..  So I need to still wait a while.

On 10/18/2021 at 11:26 AM, haelewyn said:

... heated seats but a few winters using it made me an addict

Just Google for a "heated 12V car seat cover".

I have one for years and I find it totally acceptable. Came with a cigaret lighter plug and I leave the cover on the seat until the end of the winter. Warms up quickly and feels ... comfy 😊, even when I switch it off after a couple of minutes it keeps the temperature. Was only a few €€.

I thought about it but wanted it on two seats... And don't know if that one cigarette lighter can pull 12 amps. It's 6 amps for one seat.

So I had the crazy idea to have it built in.

But I did consider the more portable one. Good to hear you have good experiences with it.

Did anybody hear about them not installing a Start Stop system into this model any more ?

Probably they get the numbers they should get without it and it only costs money to install an extra system.
I guess in customer happyness research not many people were asking for it ...

I didn't even know it had it! :laugh: 

They tried it in the facelift Mk2 Yaris but dropped it again in the Mk3. It's a neat idea but basically only seems to work when the car's new. I think it kicked in maybe 20 times in the time I owned the Mk2... Only really makes any sense when there's a hybrid system attached too IMHO, otherwise it's just another thing to go wrong that gives minimal, if any benefit.

No idea about the wltp run and how many times the car comes to a complete stop there.

Probably less than in the Nedc cycle.

The new Aygo I bought doesn't have a start stop system by the way.

My previous car, before Aygo, had to run 50 km first to charge the Battery so much that it would activate.

In the cars I had before that, I always pushed the 'disable SS' button.

I saw 2014 versions did have start stop but they must have decided it was not worth installing it any more.. Was it because of wltp rules being different ?

If anybody knows more about that, I would be happy to hear it.

Stop start puts extra stress on an engine and the starting system - it was a bad idea, technology has moved on engines are more efficient now

WLTP is no longer used, NEDC is the standard they are only LAB results done under set condition and in no way have any bearing on real life figures

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's a neat idea but basically only seems to work when the car's new. I think it kicked in maybe 20 times in the time I owned the Mk2... Only really makes any sense when there's a hybrid system attached too IMHO, otherwise it's just another thing to go wrong that gives minimal, if any benefit.

I think it's a decent idea for in city (not) driving, less belching of car fumes on pedestrians. OTOH, when traffic is barely moving stopping and starting every two seconds, if that, is not brilliant. As a pedestrian, I hate seeing and hearing engines turning over for nothing.

I, too, think it only really works on new cars. I had the Battery changed on my near 6 year old car, because stop and start barely functioned. I wonder they put the right type of Battery in the car, because I was unaware, at the time, of the AGM batteries required for S&S functioning. (In any case I know I should have either done it myself, or have somewhere else other than the P****T dealer do it.)

1 hour ago, haelewyn said:

Did anybody hear about them not installing a Start Stop system into this model any more ?

It was only ever fitted to the manual Aygos not those with MMT (x-shift).

But now, where I live, not fitted on manual any more either.

Park gear was not fitted on MMT too, so I've read.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links