Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing Belt Change Rav4

kenWils

Hi,

Anyone changed the belt on a RAV 4 (1998) If so any items to watch for / special tools?

Also, on other cars its recommended to change the water pump out at the same time! would this apply to me good ole RAV?? :unsure:

Appreciate any advise.

Kenny

:D My brother in law has just changed our timing belt as the water pump broke and smashed the timing belt. I will ask him if he used any special tools etc.

Could you tell me where the two hose type pipes go on the engine please?

Many thanks.

According to the dealer's service brochure, all RAVs 1998-up employ a maintenance-free timing chain which is kept in check via a tensioner.

I am guessing that the belt in question that broke may have been caused by a seized water pump pulley driven from the serpentine belt. If a timing chain replacement is warranted and the vehicle has less than 150,000 miles on it I'd look into getting a used replacement imported from Japan. By Japanese law all cars have to replace their engines at 35,000 miles to meet their ridiculously strict environmental mandates. Save yourself the grief of worrying about what will break next and replace the whole thing.

A rule of thumb for maintenance regarding the serpentine belt is to check it every six months or so, and replace if the "ribs" are cracked. It's inexpensive and fairly simple to change - I buy two and keep the extra as a spare.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 2001 toyota sequoia limited 4wd i have 50k on it do you think i have to change it

i have a 2001 toyota sequoia limited 4wd i have 50k on it do you think i have to change it

The new iFORCE V8 (and V6 engines) found in the Sequoia, 4Runner and Land Cruiser employ the rubber timing belt which does require maintenance, at 50K miles if I'm not mistaken. Check your owner's manual or obtain a service brochure found at your nearest dealer service department. Don't delay getting it changed if it's due or past due, as the damage it will cause when it fails will be costly.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links