Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sons 1st car - 2010 Aygo - issues with really high pitch noise

DarthSimpson

Hi all,

My son has just got in 1st car a few months ago. A 10 year old Aygo, 1litre VVTi engine. Bought from a dealer but 3 month warranty has expired.

He went to start his car tonight, and when in nuertal the engine didnt sound right. There was like a humming / buzzing sound, and then after 30 s or so, an extremely high pitch noise. Immediately turned the engine off... tried once more, the same issue.

I have no ideas about cars, but curious to know if anyone else has had similar issues and what the problem might be. Just dont want to be ripped off by someone...

Could it be clutch? flywheel?

Look forward to hearing you opinion.

Thanks 

Iain and Son Daniel

My gut feeling is it's the auxiliary belt slipping, as that is a common cause of screeching cat-trapped-in-engine types of sound, especially at this time of year when it starts getting cold and damp!

My Mk1 Yaris had that issue, and I used to just tighten the tension bar to shut it up, before I got annoyed enough by it to get the belts replaced. (And the water pump while I was at it!)

• Thanks 1

I would guess its the auxiliary belt as well.  Or it could be pulleys on the Alternator or the Water Pump.

First thing I would try is to tighten the auxiliary belt which uses the Alternator as tension-er. 

• Thanks 1

Do make sure that anything that is supposed to rotated by the drive belt is actually turning and not seized.

• Like 1

As peeps have said, strong chance it's the auxillary belt. My wife's Micra has a high pitched sound for the first minute or so, until the engine compartment has warmed a little. Only happens when damp and/or cold, as Cyker mentioned.

I would start it and let it idle until warm, just to see if it is this. Have the bonnet up and listen, whilst peering into the engine bay, just in case it's something else. You can usually tell if it's coming from the belt/pulley area.

• Like 1

Thanks all, re-tensioning the belt did the job. Belt needs replaced though... 

• Like 2

Thanks for the update. It's always nice to get a bit of closure on how people get on!

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links