Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squeak at low speed

Peep

I have a 66 aygo 13k on the clock and it has started to squeak at low speeds (under 10mph) when slowing down for lights etc.

Ive taken it to my local Toyota garage and they have said they have road tested it and put it up in a ramp and can’t hear or see anything .

So on my way home (2miles)it’s squeaked 3 times and the following day 5 times (5 miles).

This only happens at low speeds and not any other time.

Any ideas ?

13 hours ago, Peep said:

I have a 66 aygo 13k on the clock and it has started to squeak at low speeds (under 10mph) when slowing down for lights etc.

Ive taken it to my local Toyota garage and they have said they have road tested it and put it up in a ramp and can’t hear or see anything .

So on my way home (2miles)it’s squeaked 3 times and the following day 5 times (5 miles).

This only happens at low speeds and not any other time.

Any ideas ?

Squeaky brakes?

Lose Auxiliary belt?

I would guess it's the brakes.

Thanks for your reply ,I don’t think it’s the brakes as this happens when I’m not using them but it might happen after I have used them ,the belt looks good (tight and going around evenly)and surly the garage would of checked this!

I’m going to document it every time it happens and see if there’s a pattern and will repost .

Thanks

I had the same problem this year with an other brand of car ...   The dealer thought it was the shock absorbers making noise ... they greased them and the sound was gone until the next day.
Several brands also seem to have trouble with noisy springs (had that before / replaced them / Problem solved) or with the stabiliser bar that needs greesing on the joints.

Try to stand on  the frame near to your own seat or the passenger seat and wobble the car from left to right that way. See if you can reproduce the sound...
Then try to find the cause with a second person helping you either wiggling the car or walking around to find the noise.

What is typical for Aygo : No idea, I must confess.

jack up each corner of car at a time and spin the wheel and see it makes the same noise I have seen believe it or not small stones trapped between the brake calipers and the disc causing a squeaking scraping noise but as you said I would have expected the mechanic to have checked this.

I have on previous cars had success with spraying the suspension rubbers and joints with silicone spray to eliminate squeaking noises.

• 4 months later...

I had a very annoying squeak that would come and go at various speeds / road conditions and after much testing found that it was the tailgate latch  needing a small amount of grease. 

I hope this is helpful.

I have had a similar problem in the past although some time ago so I can't even remember which car had the problem.  In my case it was brake dust being caught between the pad and the disc so it only happen at very slow speed and not while braking.   A quick jet of compressed air and a lubrication of the caliper cleared it for me. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MarcBu said:

Mice living under the seats

I hate those mice’s to pieces 🤣

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, MarcBu said:

Mice living under the seats

Must hate travelling at speed which is why they go quiet at anything over 5 MPH.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links