Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Android Auto experiences

haelewyn

Hi guys...
Got the car I have been waiting for, for a while now.

Must say the multimedia in the car is rather slow to update everything from the phone to the car.
Went faster with the previous car (Renault).

I was wondering if we could help each other out a bit on Android Auto.
Sorry, I am more on the asking side for the moment. Just learning how to deal with it.

I installed three navigation apps and started them up one after an other to see the difference.
What i can't find : how do I close one or two of them ? It seems they all stay active after I open them.
Tried voice commands but Google didn't seem to understand what i wanted.

I did find a way to kill the apps on the phone, not sure if they are closed on the multimedia in the car then.

Any good recommendations for really useful apps ?
For example : lot of radio stations on one app or a tool that really takes care of my maximum speed, so it is not over what is allowed ?

The apps are phone based, so you close them on the phone the usual way you do on your phone of choice (manufacturer/model and android version)

• Like 2

I just hold down the power button on my phone and press "restart" after using it in the car. Reboots in 40 seconds and the nav apps are closed when it restarts

Just when you go to areas where speed limits are changing up and down all the time and where you don't know by heart how much the speed limit is.
Here they have a habbit of, on one road, doing 50 for 300 meters, then 70 for 700 meters, then again 50 for 1 km.
And so on.

My Corolla had the infotainment system upgrade last service, but try as I may I can't even get my Android 11 (with Android Auto built in) to connect. 
The phone tells me "plug in usb lead" which I do but nothing happens!
Any ideas to tell Ol' !Removed! what he's doing wrong?

Did you try to use an other USB cable perhaps ?

Power off your phone, wait for a while and then restart it.

If not ok yet, try >>>>>> Settings > Apps > Android Auto > Storage > Clear Cache

I had some 'device not recognised' etc stuff during the weekend while I was testing everything out.
Also my phone blocked one time.

I am using TOMTOM Amigo now .. Seems to work fine. Don't know if I want to change to Google Maps or Waze afterwards.

Lot of speed alerts though... You can change settings but I like to stay perfectly under the speed limit.
Radio worked well. Good sound. Same for phone connection. I am happy with that.

Didn't try any other apps yet.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks haelewyn,

The USB lead I was using is fairly new, looks fine & indeed charges the phone okay. But it wouldn't connect Android Auto to the car. A change to the cable that came with the mobile, and hey! cookin' with gas. Thanks again, much appreciated.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ol'Fart said:

Many thanks haelewyn,

The USB lead I was using is fairly new, looks fine & indeed charges the phone okay. But it wouldn't connect Android Auto to the car. A change to the cable that came with the mobile, and hey! cookin' with gas. Thanks again, much appreciated.

This seems to be a common problem with AA and several different car makes, it seems AA is very cable sensitive.

As far as I'm aware, needs to be a USB data cable to connect to Android Auto. The cables that are supplied with phones are usually data cables, as opposed to USB charging cables.

I always buy rather cheap eBay cables ... Last one said too that it's a charger cable, but it works rather ok on the Aygo radio.
Try it out and see what works best.

When using USB there is a big difference between a cheap usb cable and a half decent one, especially when using something that is data heavy like AA or AC

I have had great results with Anker cables over USB - USB C and USB - Lightning (Anker make Apple Mfi Certified cables)

29 minutes ago, flash22 said:

When using USB a difference between a cheap usb cable and a half decent one, especially when using something that is data heavy like AA or AC

I have had great results with Anker cables over USB - USB C and USB - Lightning (Anker make Apple Mfi Certified cables)

I use mostly the Amazon Basics USB-A to Lightning cables and never had any problems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links