Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo x shift problem

WillWadd

11 minutes ago, WillWadd said:

First one was done at Toyota and second one was an independent garage using genuine Toyota parts.

OK. Goodwill works both ways. The manufacturer shows goodwill by helping with expensive or out of warranty repairs. Goodwill may be the full cost or a contribution. The owner shows goodwill by having servicing, etc done within the manufacturer's dealer network. 

Goodwill is separate to any warranty.

If an owner doesn't support the dealer network by going outside the dealer network for servicing, etc, the manufacturer will usually not offer any goodwill contribution if approached for help. This is the same for most vehicle manufacturers. 

Don't see how not using Toyota dealer would make any difference to a clutch failing ? 

If I stop going to the dealer for maintenance, I know I will have 2 year warranty instead of 5 and no eurocare assistance.

It's part of the conditions.

If something happens that is not, not completely, not clearly covered by warranty I know my dealer will try his best to defend my case to Toyota.

If I choose to not maintenance in their garage, why would he bother.

Got a complete new engine for a Renault last year on 20.000 miles, 5 years old.

Didn't have to pay anything.

If I didn't do all maintenance even at a dealer : they would have offered part of the coverage.

If I went to an independent garage from year 2, probably no coverage or little.

Every car manufacturer excludes wearing parts from warranty here.

And for that reason there is no warranty on the clutch. There is no extra in it for you probably because there is no need to give extras and you had maintenance done in an other garage. 

I think you see the point and also know you have to convince Toyota and not us.

You tried to save money and it will cost you money. Pity..

Ask your independent garage if they will repair your car cheaper. It's likely they can / will.

I am still surprised your clutch got killed in 10.000 km.

Even I can imagine some ways to drive a car badly and to kill a less strong designed clutch system, I wouldn't think it would go out so fast.  Seems I am wrong about that..

15 minutes ago, WillWadd said:

Don't see how not using Toyota dealer would make any difference to a clutch failing ? 

Doesn't make any difference to a part failing.

The difference is that you have tried to save XX amount of money by not supporting the dealer network and going elsewhere for servicing. So you cannot expect the manufacturer to provide a goodwill contribution of potentially XXXX money when they have no record of what has been done during the independent's service, you haven't shown goodwill to them, and the component that has failed is no longer covered by warranty.

Goodwill is provided at the manufacturer's discretion, and if you don't meet whatever criteria they have for a goodwill contribution, end of.

Your choice presumably is to have the work done elsewhere, possibly cheaper, but at your cost

Think we are going round the houses on this. I believe the first question I asked was if anyone had experienced any issues with the X shift gearbox. It has now turned in to individuals asking how the car was driven, how I have it serviced, making out I'm trying to save money by not using Toyota. Think it has gone off topic from original question ? 

During the topic you went on to describe how your dealer had said the clutch needed replacing at a given cost, that Toyota went on to say the clutch was a wear and tear item, was not covered under warranty, and you mentioned about the possibility of a goodwill payment. 

So rather than going off topic, members have, instead, answered your later queries, and how the car is driven, service history, etc, etc are relevant.

This topic has gone as far as it can do.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links