Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ae92 Gti Induction Kit

vanillaice

Hi,

I'm quite new to the forums, so please go gentle on me.

I have 1992 AE92 Gti and I am considering fitting an induction kit. I'm looking for an all-in-one solution (fittings incl. etc) as I'm no engineer. The rest of the car is completely standard, but may fit a better rear section on the exhaust in time. I see that there are some leads going into the standard air filter (temp sensors? :unsure: ), I'm guessing the induction kit will include new sensors or something?

What are peoples recommendations please?

Cheers,

ICE

to be honest i was advised on the non t-vis model to just get a replacement panel filter and open up the bottom of the airbox. seemed to work ok.

have done the same.take bottom of box off,and where the filter sits on the bottom,and where the clips fit,keep this bit,and cut off anything below that.get a good panel filter,and re-fit.they sound awesome with this!

have done the same.take bottom of box off,and where the filter sits on the bottom,and where the clips fit,keep this bit,and cut off anything below that.get a good panel filter,and re-fit.they sound awesome with this!

How can I make sure whether I have the t-vis or non t-vis model?

Do either of you have any pictures of what you have done?

What sort of performance increase should I see? Will it screw up my fuel economy?

Does it really sound good? :D

Cheers,

ICE

hasnt messed up my fuel economy,and makes it a bit more free revving.

here is a pic,havent used any part of the bottom box,as im gonna do it properly with a good panel filter soon.have literally stuck the original filter to top of box (sounds dodgy i know!)

me061.jpg

and if yours is a t-vis (dont think they are after 1990) it will have it on the inlet manifold here:

me100.jpg

hope this helps.

and yes,they really do sound good!not to loud on normal driving,but open it up,and it roars!

K&N 57i induction kit,

Still the best, tried tested, all fittings, easily cleaned, totally reliable, not too noisy, totally complements a slightly larger (48mm max for normally aspirated) exhaust system, even better with Genie free flow headers. Oh, and a million mile guarantee. :thumbsup:

I've never looked back since fitting mine, thoroughly recommended.

When it comes to filters there's a lot of jap names floating about, none of them are really any good, you just pay for the name, if it dont come with all the fittings or isnt able to be cleaned and re-oiled with the same brand cleaning products then dont bother, its junk.

Cheers for the pictures sussex_ae92... 10/10 for effort! Looks a bit heath robinson to me though... no offence, I'm sure it works great.

K&N 57i induction kit,

Still the best, tried tested, all fittings, easily cleaned, totally reliable, not too noisy, totally complements a slightly larger (48mm max for normally aspirated) exhaust system, even better with Genie free flow headers. Oh, and a million mile guarantee. :thumbsup:

I've never looked back since fitting mine,  thoroughly recommended.

When it comes to filters there's a lot of jap names floating about, none of them are really any good, you just pay for the name, if it dont come with all the fittings or isnt able to be cleaned and re-oiled with the same brand cleaning products then dont bother, its junk.

OK,

This sounds like what I'm after. I have used the 'where to buy' link from the K&N website and mailed what i think is the UK supplier for a quote for the part number: 57-0115 (i beleive this is the correct part). Where else could i look to buy the kit?

I currently have a totally standard aftermarket exhaust system, how does that compare to a 48mm N/A? :wacko:

What are headers? :wacko:

Does it require much maintainence in terms of re-oiling and cleaning?

From what you have said I'm guessing it comes with all fittings, just what I'm after! Is it easy enough to fit?

Cheers,

ICE

wouldnt agree with all jap filters being all over rated.there is a blitz sus kit for the ae92 from fensport,£125.ive fitted a few of these in the past,and come with all fitting brackets etc.also,unlike the k&n, these are a dry type stainless filter,requiring no oiling,which tends to clog up the air flow meter wire.also comes with holes for air temp sensors.

wouldnt agree with all jap filters being all over rated.there is a blitz sus kit for the ae92 from fensport,£125.ive fitted a few of these in the past,and come with all fitting brackets etc.also,unlike the k&n, these are a dry type stainless filter,requiring no oiling,which tends to clog up the air flow meter wire.also comes with holes for air temp sensors.

Is the clogging a common problem with k&n, the lower the maintainence the better! :D

What about the RAMAIR at fensport? Thats probably more my price range.

Cheers,

ICE

had this one myself. worked well seemed to improve responce. i was impressed especialy by the price

cheers

lee

you only get oil on stuff if you dont follow the instructions and end up saturating the filter in oil, it will take ags to drain off and will appear to be clogged, not the filters fault, more the mechanics. if the filter looks soaking wet and 'clogged' with oil then dont fit it as the motor will suck all that excess oil into and over the VSV's and throttle body.

I bought mine ages ago from millenium motorsport online.

how often do you oil and clean ? well that depends on where you drive your car and how partial it is to kicking dust up into the engine bay, i do mine pretty much when i feel like it which works out to be about every 2000-3000 miles at a rough guess, when i'm doing the rest of the cleaning and tuning stuff.

A note about dry filters, they're great at stopping big bits of dirt etc but crap at the small particles, its these tiny particles that get into and score the living hell out of your intake system, throttle body and so on, if the filter is not boxed from the elements (like the original) you'd better make sure its oiled or you're just introducing grit and dirt, like it or not.

think he has the non tvis model jon thats why i would recomend a panel filter. from what ive read and heard inductin kit on the non-tvis can cause running probs. just my 2c's

So you would recommend using a panel filter like how sussex_ae92 has, over any induction kit for a non tvis? Would the "Blitz SUS Power LM filter Element" from fensport be a wise bet? I presume this needs no maintainence?

Although, i wasn't keen on the looks at first, if it works well and is safe, why not! Especially as its the cheapest way!

Sorry if it seems like I'm going round in circles! :wacko:

Cheers,

ICE

think he has the non tvis model jon thats why i would recomend a panel filter. from what ive read and heard inductin kit on the non-tvis can cause running probs. just my 2c's

mines non-tvis and at 140,000miles, with only service work and still runs a 15sec 1/4 and will drive all day with out a murmour.... ;)

i can however only comment on what i have.

i do know that 'dry' cone filters have larger holes in the material to be less restrictive, this also lets more dirt in, i've seen the effects of a few diff filters including blitz and hks and its not a pretty sight, but then dusty country lanes etc dont help either....

mines non-tvis and at 140,000miles, with only service work and still runs a 15sec 1/4 and will drive all day with out a murmour.... ;)

i can however only comment on what i have.

i do know that 'dry' cone filters have larger holes in the material to be less restrictive, this also lets more dirt in, i've seen the effects of a few diff filters including blitz and hks and its not a pretty sight, but then dusty country lanes etc dont help either....

Filters, as in induction kit filters and replacement panel filters which use origonal housing like sussex_ae92?

ICE

When I bought mine (non-T-Vis) the previous owner had done something really dodgy by fitting a PiperX cone filter on the existing air intake pipes and left the sensors dangling loose in the engine bay :wacko:

Fortunately he gave me the original filter box and relatively unused OEM panel filter. All of which when straight back in as soon as I got the car home.

Personally I would recomend the K&N as I have only ever used them before on other cars and my Rev3 MR2. Sounded awesome :thumbsup:

But I am worried about what Dawesy says with regards to the non-T-Vis not liking induction kits. I am tempted to drill a number of medium sized holes in the bottom of my panel filter box now though... :rolleyes:

I am tempted to drill a number of medium sized holes in the bottom of my panel filter box now though... :rolleyes:

How long until you try? Let me know how you get on!

Cheers,

ICE

I was too busy doing non-car stuff this weekend to have tried... :(

Hopefuly I'll get a moment one evening this week (work permitting) :rolleyes:

Drilling holes in the bottom of the filter box only lets the induction noise out and the dirt in, it does very little to aid airflow as the engine is still the same size and sucking the same amount, i think that most people feel because its making a deeper throaty noise its going faster - not true, your just clogging up your panel filter with more crud more quickly, plus the air in the engine compartment is warmer than that outside of it. thats why the small air intake tube is positioned in positive air pressure area behind the headlight.

an airfilter is just that, it filters muck out of the air so it doesnt contaminate the air/fuel mix creating odd burning or uncombustionable (?good word eh :blink: ) stuff damaging the internals.

the restriction (if any) is caused when your engine requires more air to mix with more fuel than it can suck through the realtively small, but very free flowing air intake.

A 'induction kit' Is merely a sales marketing ploy to sound posh, its just a filter, their only better than an OEM filter for a couple of reasons, 1) they are made from a better type of material. 2) they generally have a larger surface area to allow better airflow when it starts to get dirty (i.e. it doesnt clog up so quick)

Fitting is also important, because most induction kits are just a 'cone' filter you end up removing the airbox, this then allows the filter to suck the air from the engine bay rather than from the small intake at the front of the car, so just fitting a cone filter on its own isnt that good, if you take the time to seal that cone filter off from the engine bay then your onto something better. Clean cool air through less restriction means the engine has to work less to get its full complement of cool clean air resulting in longer cleaner burn in the combustion chamber making (arguably) more power.

hope this helps a little.

To get the most from a 'good' filter you need to

1) make sure its in a cool air environment

2) make sure your car can maximise the situation by adding enough fuel for the correct air/fuel mix

3) be able to get rid of this extra gas by having a slightly less restrictive exhaust or longer valve opening times.

Only then will you get full benefit fo a different bit of sponge on the intake ;)

Dawesy, the damage caused to T-vis models is because the air/fuel mixture is too lean after fitting a good aftermarket filter creating damage, to stop this and for anyone fitting an aftermarket filter, get your car tuned. On the non-tvis model there is a small screw on the passenger inner arch with L - R on the casing this means "lean to rich" and you can adjust the mixture by that to compensate for increased airflow.

id go for the blitz lm panel filter,with the original air box,and get a good piece of ducting hose,and run that up to about 6 inches away from bottom of the filter.seems that most cone filters,unless properly shielded,just loose power instead of gaining any!

I am not expecting any performance increases by drilling holes or cutting the bottom of my air box :rolleyes: I was going to do it purely for the sound. If I was going performance route, I would make a sealed compartment for the filter to sit in with direct access to airflow. Although I am a bit worried about the "Botch" elament of it all :P

I'll let you know how I get on.

On a similar note, I have to add that I had (still do have) dyno proof of porformance increases by installing a K&N kit to my Rev3 N/A MR2 - 171.5bhp before 180.5 after. Altho there are a lot of myth and false claim over dyno results, I was happy with the proof received.

• 4 months later...
K&N 57i induction kit,

I've never looked back since fitting mine,  thoroughly recommended.

Hi Jon,

Been a while since I looked at this thread. I have mananged to find a cheap source for a K&N 57i induction kit.

However, I was reading the instructions and got a little confused : http://www.filterpower.co.uk/kn_induction/files/57-0115.pdf

Do I need to make a hole in the front bumper to allow in clean, cold air?

Do you have any photos of your induction kit? I'd like to know whether I'm up to the challenge of fitting it, or whether it needs my friendly mechanics expertese :D

Any help/tips for installation would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

ICE

the kit comes with a bit of corregated air tube that you position in the engine bay pointing at the filter and the other end you tuck down behind the front grill infront of the radiator (mines to the side of it) and tie it in place with some long cable ties or similar, this then directs cooler air from out side the engine bay at speed onto the filter providing 'cool air feed'

not essential, can be over looked, but may help a little :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links