Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noise from rear off-side passenger area

FiestaRed

A few weeks ago my MY21 Corolla TS started making a tapping sort of noise that sounds as though it comes from the rear off-side passenger area. At first I thought it was the metal seat belt fastener tapping against the plastic trim near the door but it still does it when the belt's buckled up and being used but it's that kind of a noise.

I've moved anything that's loose in the boot area but that's not helped. The tapping only happens on an uneven or bumpy road surface.

Anyone any ideas or thoughts please before I pay a visit to the dealership?

Is the rear seat back properly fastened?

• Like 1

Mine does that. I think it's the tonneau cover. There's quite a lot of play in the slots where the lugs sit while it's extended and it can flap around in there causing some tapping. I'm experimenting with ways to quieten it. As you say, it's only an issue in town going over the bumps & potholes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

Mine does that. I think it's the tonneau cover. There's quite a lot of play in the slots where the lugs sit while it's extended and it can flap around in there causing some tapping. I'm experimenting with ways to quieten it. As you say, it's only an issue in town going over the bumps & potholes.

That’s something I’ve not taken out yet. I’ll try and remove it and do a test.

Thanks for the help.

8 hours ago, FiestaRed said:

That’s something I’ve not taken out yet. I’ll try and remove it and do a test.

Thanks for the help.

No problem, let me know how you get on, maybe we can help each other out.

Generally, I try to avoid tormenting myself over minor noises just because I've bought a new car and expect everything perfect, but persistent problems need to be solved. The first thing to establish is that it's actually the car that's responsible - I've found that things as innocuous as a bottle of water can cause noises that drive you mad when you lay them in the door pocket or cup holder a certain way.

• Like 4

Also check the plastic panel which is covering the rear of the high level brake light. It's a simple to remove panel but seems a loose fit. I hear it on some road surfaces and keep meaning to add some thin foam strips

• Like 1

Just as an update, I've now removed the tonneau cover, moved the seat belt height adjuster to different positions and emptied the boot area, all with no result, I've still got the same knocking/tapping noise.

I'll keep on trying but I'm not really sure where else I can look. I think the main problem is that noises transmit through the car body and although it sound in the rear offside, I guess it could be anywhere.

Hi!

I had the EXACT same problem.

I took my car to the dealership, tried to replicate the noise (no success) and asked if they can do something about it. They took the car in, re-torqued the apropriate bolts&nuts, nothing changed.

Later, I took my family on a trip, loaded the trunk with stuff, and the noise stopped. How?

I suppose that the additional load took some slack off the suspension or other components, and the noise stopped.

These are my two cents, hope it helps!

BR

Thanks for the reply Kristijan, really appreciated.

Not being able to replicate the noise at the dealership is the worst possible outcome. The mechanics look at you as though you're making things up. The noise didn't start until a few weeks after I took delivery of the TS and I hadn't added anything to the boot area that could have caused it to start happening.

No problem Mike.

Yeah, I felt slightly embarassed while talking to the tech, but everything was handled in an adult manner, so no worries.

Just like you said, the noise became apparent a few weeks into ownership, I tried locating the source like all of the members suggested, but didn't find anything loose. After the trip, I drove the car and was expecting the noise, but nothing happened, so I came to the conclusion that the extra load helped things to "settle" iin their place.

I hope you will find the same outcome.

BR

• Like 1

Glad I found this thread. 

Mine does the tapping noise, generally when the chassis flexes over uneven roads. I think it is the boot flexing and moving, as I’ve experienced it on other cars. There doesn’t appear to be any adjustment in the mechanism to tighten the boot against the body. 

I'm tempted to put some rubber pads against where the boot lid bungs sit against the bodywork to keep everything taught. 

I mentioned it at my first years service a couple of weeks ago - all they did was grease the struts (which did nothing). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gray, I didn't get anywhere with dampening the tonneau cover and my tailgate latches very easily under its own weight, so you may well have hit the nail on the head! I will investigate.

• Like 2

Still not got to the bottom of this one yet. Nothing at all for the first two months and then the tapping noise started.

Reading Stuart's post above about the tailgate latching under its own weight, this is the same with my TS. In other cars I've had such as the Astra ST you did need to put a bit of pressure on the tailgate to get the latch to fasten. Might try Graeme's suggestion and add a couple of pads to the rubber bungs.

23 minutes ago, FiestaRed said:

Still not got to the bottom of this one yet. Nothing at all for the first two months and then the tapping noise started.

Reading Stuart's post above about the tailgate latching under its own weight, this is the same with my TS. In other cars I've had such as the Astra ST you did need to put a bit of pressure on the tailgate to get the latch to fasten. Might try Graeme's suggestion and add a couple of pads to the rubber bungs.

I had a look at mine but couldn't feel any play in it once it's closed. The noise doesn't sound metallic to my ear, it's more dull like a plastic or fabric.

More focused on the front of the car at the moment. What I thought was the seat belt adjuster making noise is actually the seat itself, I think. Possibly from the plastics on the side that house the airbag. Could be a tricky one to sort, might be a trip back to the dealer if it becomes persistent and annoying enough.

• Like 1

It would be great to hear of any progress you make Stuart.

If I knock the metal tongue part of the rear passenger seat belt against the plastic at the side of the seat, that's the 'tapping' noise I'm getting. Unfortunately the noise is still there when I either plug the belts in or someone sits in the back seat and uses the belts.

On 11/26/2021 at 2:00 PM, Gray86 said:

Glad I found this thread. 

Mine does the tapping noise, generally when the chassis flexes over uneven roads. I think it is the boot flexing and moving, as I’ve experienced it on other cars. There doesn’t appear to be any adjustment in the mechanism to tighten the boot against the body. 

I'm tempted to put some rubber pads against where the boot lid bungs sit against the bodywork to keep everything taught. 

I mentioned it at my first years service a couple of weeks ago - all they did was grease the struts (which did nothing). 

I noticed a slight tapping/knocking in similar circumstances - speed humps being the most noticeable at low speed...above 25 MPH its silent even on crap roads. Happened to be super cold at the weekend, tyre pressure warning came on, pumped up tyres (they were all quite low, even allowing for cold) tapping noise is much reduced. I wonder if its just how the suspension gets loaded up either by road undulation or load. Mine too was silent to start with so maybe worth checking the tyre pressures?

Mind you, I notice now the plastic cover on the high level brake rattles a bit more so still need to get the foam out for that...or just keep the stereo turned up 🙂 

• Like 1

Off for a ride on a steam train with Santa this morning and before setting off to Peak Rail, I sprayed the rubber bumpers on the tailgate with silicone.

No tapping, knocking or any noises at all on the short 10 mile journey but I’ll keep listening on the way back to see if that’s done the trick.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FiestaRed said:

Off for a ride on a steam train with Santa this morning and before setting off to Peak Rail, I sprayed the rubber bumpers on the tailgate with silicone.

No tapping, knocking or any noises at all on the short 10 mile journey but I’ll keep listening on the way back to see if that’s done the trick.

Nice one Mike. To add my own good news, I think I might have unravelled the mystery of the seat creaking I've been experiencing lately. I did lots of experiments while shuffling my backside and legs around as I  waited for the wife in Tesco car park today. I eventually silenced it by moving the seat back on the rails a notch. I've since put it back where it was and it seems fine, so I'm thinking it just wasn't properly engaged, but should be easy to sort by lubrication if it's just the latches that were doing the creaking.

Ive got some silicone spray, so I'll try doing my tailgate rubbers like you. I've experienced similar issues before with my F30 BMW and the rubber strips along the tops of the doors making noises as they moved against the plastic trim above. It could be intensely annoying when going over speed bumps and used to get worse as the weather warmed up. I tried various things including lubricanting the rubber and applying teflon tape to the plastic, but never fully solved it.

• Like 1

My journey to visit Santa on the steam train took me over the Derbyshire moors on some uneven roads, roads that would normally make the noise worse. So far, squirting the silicone is the only thing I've done that's had any effect on the noise at all and quite a simple job to do too.

Hopefully it's a quick squirt and goodbye to the noises.

Peak Rail Santa.jpg

• Like 3

Regarding the seats it’s not from the rails but from the springs inside. A member has posted really nice posts with pictures from Auris inside the seats , not sure this can be fixed but I am sure that all Japanese cars does it pretty well, my one even when I just seat on and breathe I can hear bit creaking noise 🤭😄

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Regarding the seats it’s not from the rails but from the springs inside. A member has posted really nice posts with pictures from Auris inside the seats , not sure this can be fixed but I am sure that all Japanese cars does it pretty well, my one even when I just seat on and breathe I can hear bit creaking noise 🤭😄

That's the impression I was getting, but moving the adjuster really seemed to make a difference. Perhaps it caused the springs to shift a bit? I'll have to see how it goes, hopefully it doesn't settle into a position where it starts up again. These cars make so little mechanical noise that your hearing tends to zone in on everything!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

That's the impression I was getting, but moving the adjuster really seemed to make a difference. Perhaps it caused the springs to shift a bit? I'll have to see how it goes, hopefully it doesn't settle into a position where it starts up again. These cars make so little mechanical noise that your hearing tends to zone in on everything!

I know, and I usually drive without any music at night when everything so quiet and the seats are just insane over rough roads, creaking is all you hear. I have used to it so much as I almost pay no attention to it, and when my colleagues travel with me sometimes they ask me and got my answer straight away: it’s an old Toyota, what do you expect an S-Class quietness.? 🤣, but at least still drives fine other than that no any strange noises, for now 👌🏁

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I think I'm having the same problem (Hatchback 1.8 MY21). Hey @FiestaRed could you please elaborate on which plastic bumps did you apply silicone? Or all 4 of them?

5 minutes ago, Sam Ekkert said:

I think I'm having the same problem (Hatchback 1.8 MY21). Hey @FiestaRed could you please elaborate on which plastic bumps did you apply silicone? Or all 4 of them?

Also see 

FYI - the noise I had coming form the rear is still absent after my somewhat crude solution.

32 minutes ago, Sam Ekkert said:

All 4 of them but unfortunately hasn't stopped the rattling noise. For me, it still sounds in the area of the driver's side door pillar.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links