Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loose USB port?

baxuz

The USB port on my new 2021 Yaris is horribly loose. Seems to be the same on 1 other vehicle at the dealer (2020), although to a lesser degree.

Basically if the connector tilts vertically, the connection is broken. Tilting it horizontally is fine. You can see it here:

The service center (Toyota Croatia) spent a while trying to tell me that it's because I'm not using original (LOL) cables. Tested with 3 different data cables. Had to spend a while explaining differences between data and charging cables. 

It feels like it's a widespread issue since I could reproduce it on a 2020 model, and the dealer said that if it's the same on other USB port modules that there's nothing they can do since the issue will persist?!

Basically, I'd love to hear if anyone else has been seeing similar symptoms since this is unacceptable in my opinion.

Hi, have you try that with at least two other cables? It looks really like broken cable to me. 👍

Yep, tried with 2 other cables. Tried the same cable on my desktop, on multiple ports, connecting both the PS5 gamepad and my Android phone streaming via scrcpy. Wiggling the cable VIGOROUSLY does not break the connection.

9 minutes ago, baxuz said:

Yep, tried with 2 other cables. Tried the same cable on my desktop, on multiple ports, connecting both the PS5 gamepad and my Android phone streaming via scrcpy. Wiggling the cable VIGOROUSLY does not break the connection.

Well that’s enough to believe the problem is with the usb port of the car then. It may need better soldering or a new port but it’s a new car so you as owner should not have that problem. If the dealer not interested to help best is to complain directly to Toyota head office in your country and they should take care of it. 
Good luck 👍

That 'box' the holds the USB plug is very easy to remove so you could check to see if maybe the connector is loose, but TBH if it's a brand new car the dealer should be looking at it as you don't want to risk voiding the warranty!

Yeah, was actually thinking that since the infotainment system actually supports up to two devices that I might just add a USB hub to it. I wonder what the original part number is.

• Like 2

I was thinking similar, since the rest of that panel is empty and just begging for stuff to be added to it! :naughty: 

GR and other countries get the USB 2.1 amp/USB type C charge port

it does have 2 usb, 1 is the port and the other is connected to the DCM

hub wise the system will only see one device at a time unless powered it has a limit of 500ma, It's still based on QNX and is very secure

im sure i have looked the dash parts up before.........................

If you have the 2 blanks 1 either side they for the seat heater buttons, some cars just get the airbag display on the GR below it you get the 12v socket and the Sport - Track button

MS350-52001-1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1602143704

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

Not sure I understood you. Some countries get two 2.1A USB-C chargers on the Yaris Hybrid  (XP210)? Which ones? Could these be retrofitted to the current one?

hub wise the system will only see one device at a time unless powered it has a limit of 500ma, It's still based on QNX and is very secure

Unless the car is powered? You mean with the car in accessory mode?

image.thumb.png.2dfbca7bbf59e42aa5da92f5de77dd1c.png

No, I meant USB hubs you get 2 types, passive and active/powered (uses an external power source)

the 2.1 amp sockets are charge only

The saga continues! The official response from Toyota Croatia was that I should — wait for it... buy an Anker cable.

I'll keep you updated.

i would pull the port apart iirc there is a small pcb inside, its more than likely a dry or cracked solder joint on the USB socket

usb port - 86190-12070

5 hours ago, baxuz said:

The saga continues! The official response from Toyota Croatia was that I should — wait for it... buy an Anker cable.

I'll keep you updated.

Anker cable? Are Anker cables officially certified by Toyota ? :confused1:

Their Lightning cables are Apple MFI certified, the others they do are decent quality, as i said above more than likely a dodgy solder joint

• Like 2

I'd rather not touch it since it might void the warranty on the part, unless it's a last resort.

Also  86190-12070 doesn't look like the right part.

86190-F4040 superseded by 86190-F4041

Yaris, Corolla and C-HR

As @Cyker said above, the panel is easy to remove, then check the part number on the port its self

Part numbers for the mk4 aren't freely available yet, most sites only go up to 2018, i only have listings up to late 2020

It's 2 red clips the rest of the tabs a for locating

Pic. Courtesy of the GR Forum

K0020

img_20210205_162013-jpg.3088

K0030

img_0208-jpeg.2882

• Like 2

This video https://youtu.be/wk0aHhWV5fk?t=450  shows how to remove the central panel. 

The audio is in Italian but I think it's sufficient to see the images.  

As you can see the USB connector is monted tho console with a pair of plastic clips.

• Thanks 1

Thanks! I'm wondering what kind of headers are they using for the USB module.

If it's just 4 pins, I can maybe take an extra PC case front USB module I have lying around and connect them with breadboard wires for demonstration purposes.

Tho @flash22 mentioned QNX (a realtime OS often used on embedded devices), in which case plugging in a different USB controller might trigger a security warning.

IIRC they are Hirose GT (gt17 ?) hybrid connectors

you can get a cable that fits the touch2 the ones on eBay aren't always wired correctly

QNX is secure, it runs Lua hardware white list what is very limited - I went through 4, usb network adapter before I got one that had the correct chipset - it's been a year or so but IIRC the USB allows 1 client on its host what is limited by Lua descriptors

I did pen test the system, only finding 2 weak points, I was unable to keep the port(s) open long enough to probe them fully - there was very little interest, so I didn't take it any further

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2021 at 9:34 PM, flash22 said:

it does have 2 usb, 1 is the port and the other is connected to the DCM

im sure i have looked the dash parts up before.........................

If you have the 2 blanks 1 either side they for the seat heater buttons, some cars just get the airbag display on the GR below it you get the 12v socket and the Sport - Track button

MS350-52001-1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1602143704

Sorry but I've not understood exactly your post.  Are you saying that there are 2 USB ports on multimedia system but only one is connected ? 

In any case if you connect an USB hub to USB port you can connect two mass memory devices.  I've successfully connected two usb keys with a not powered hub  and they are shown as USB1 and USB2.  Obviously you can play music from a device a time.

The double logical USB becomes unavailable if you connect a  smartphone with AA because it takes the control of USB interface.

I was wondering if there's a second not cabled physical USB port so you can have both AA and USB multimedia.

• Like 1

The 2.1a ports are charge only, the mm17 and mm19 have 2 usb Ports, 1 is used by the DCM

Hardware is the limiting factor as it has borderline processing power, indexing takes a lot of system resources

AA and AC pull a lot of data almost to the point of saturation, at times

• Like 1

So, an update. Bought the dealer-recommended Anker PowerLine Select+ cable and...

The USB port works properly now. Not sure what to think. I'm still of the opinion that the USB port should be less picky about the cable.

• Like 1

It's possibly the socket, it has fingers that mechanically secures the plug to the socket, the Anker cables are a fraction tighter

337452979_smdusbasoc.thumb.jpg.15b8e97870d5b4a9ecf92db1d20e608b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmm, it could just be the other cable was a cheap one with crap tolerances - I find a lot of USB stuff isn't actually certified so the tolerances are all over the place!

Yeah, the trouble is I went through three different cables, one of them being the IKEA one which is honestly surprisingly good. The OnePlus DASH Charge cables aren't USB spec compliant so they didn't work at all.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links