Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why I like Toyota

Yugguy1970

This is why I like Toyota.  None of this "Hey Guy buy a car"  I dont know you son, so it's Mr Heaton to you. 🤣

Screenshot_20211124-184321_Gmail.thumb.jpg.c07bb0bc1f28d74adf8cdc1c36ff06ff.jpg

• Like 1

Sign of the times I'm afraid....over familiarity and first name terms seem to be the norm now...and I'm of a vintage that still finds that a bit uncomfortable too.

I was walking round an outdoor showroom next to my work one day when I heard a voice saying, “alright pal”?  I turned round to see who it was and saw it was a young salesman who looked to be in his early twenties.  He then greeted me with, “So, have you been in here before, mate?. 
If I was going to buy a car, it wouldn’t be from anyone who referred to me as pal, mate, buddy or any kind of familiarity along those lines.

• Like 2

It's funny as I'm the total opposite - I really hate being addressed in an overly formal way, esp. as the way half the staff in my dealer say 'sir' comes across as really sarcastic or condescending.

I suppose that is part of the art of being a good sales person, gauging your clientele...

• Like 1

I like the sales person to be polite helpful knowledgeable but not pushy. However, it’s the numbers that count when I’m buying a car local dealership was excellent, but I have had no problems in changing the dealership when they didn’t talk the right numbers and took my loyalty for granted.

21 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

... but I have had no problems in changing the dealership when they didn’t talk the right numbers and took my loyalty for granted.

I like my local garage, it's a family business, with at least three family members on the staff. They are polite and they have been very good with courtesy cars when I needed them, generally no charge, or about 10€. Unfortunately for them they don't sell a car that suited me, that's why I switched to Toyota. The old garage even made me a respectable offer to buy my car! 

Mate and Pal is too informal for me. If a sales person introduced him her self like “Good morning, my name is John, can I help you today”, I would ok in replying “yes please, my name is Joe and I am interested in…”.  I don’t stand out for formalities, I like a handshake, a nice smile and a friendly greeting. Then I take it from there.          

• Like 3

Mate and pal, or rather the equivalent, would never fly here in France. It just wouldn't happen. The language is naturally more formal, and you just can't start speaking "informally" to people in a professional situation.

• Like 2

Well I'm no salesman, but if I was ,the very least that I would do would be to learn a bit about approaching people and a lot about the product/car that I was trying to sell.

Instead of thinking of commission, selling paint and upholstery "protection" and gap insurance,high interest loans ,and all the other nonsense that current car salesmen are indoctrinated with.

The most soul destroying tactic I think is the clueless junior salesman who when given an offer for the car disappears to "ask the sales manager if they can do anything " and leave you waiting while pratting about on the internet, giggling about last night's sales meeting/drinks party, and having a leisurely coffee.

Yes this happens, I caught them at it after enough waiting and walked into the office to cancel my offer and let them know I was leaving, more courtesy than they showed to me.

The other tactic that immediately turns me in the direction of away is having a look round on the lot, and the first words are "what's your monthly budget ?"

Not which car I like, not an introduction, not a friendly hello , no idea if I require finance or cash buyer, just the hackneyed old nonsense that suits thier agenda rather than the buyer that keeps them in a job.

Having said that, I have encountered the other kind who know what they are selling, the price and the specs and service history and previous use of the car.

These get my custom,of course when I am not buying privately, when a whole lot of other criteria apply.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links