Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV.... winter EV range?

Nick72

Started out for a return trip of 48 miles with an initial estimate of 51 miles. Very hilly but the trip back was the reverse of the trip out so some cancellation. Temperature around 8/9oC managed it with water range of 1 mile.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Normally we see 52/54 miles EV, now the temperature are dropping to 8 degrees C we are seeing 46 miles, still pleased, our previous 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 2.4 dropped from 28 to 15/16 miles.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Oscarmax said:

Normally we see 52/54 miles EV, now the temperature are dropping to 8 degrees C we are seeing 46 miles, still pleased, our previous 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 2.4 dropped from 28 to 15/16 miles.

I get, for my driving profile, 53 to 58 miles in summer and 42 to 47 miles mid Winter.

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

I get, for my driving profile, 53 to 58 miles in summer and 42 to 47 miles mid Winter.

Similar to my numbers.

• Like 1

General rule of thumb for all EVs is a reduction of about 20% of range from summer to winter. So about 10 miles in our PHEVs.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

I am am more than happy with the reduction in EV range for the past 3 years in the colder weather we have been driving around with big coats and gloves, even with the heating off the range dropped from 28 to the very low 20's, with the heating on the lowest 12 /13 miles.

Over the last weeks with the aircon and heating on we have been seeing 52/53, it is only as the temperatures are dropping off have we seen a bigger drop.

No big coats and gloves this winter.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

4 degrees today heating on 20 degrees C we are still seeing 47 miles range visiting the grandchildren most days 13.5 miles each way the car is displaying between 3.5 mile/kWh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

4 degrees today heating on 20 degrees C we are still seeing 47 miles range visiting the grandchildren most days 13.5 miles each way the car is displaying between 3.5 mile/kWh

Similar 

Have you reset the reading? If not, it will still be showing the long term average, including the summer.

• Like 1

I live in Sweden and have an 2020 RAV 4 PHEV and in summer (about 20-25 C) the cars computer says it consume 14kWh / 100km (dont know how to translate/convert that to miles)at the best, but in winter (about -5 to 0 C ) it says 30kWh / 100 km at the worst. All in quite mixed driving styles.

but... even when the car says it consume about 14 kWh/ 100km in summer we have manage to drive about 85 km/ 52.8165... miles in EV mode (gentle driving) at the best and in winter when car says 30 kWh/ 100 km we managed to drive about 48 km/ 29.8258... miles at quite medium (60km/h) to high (105km/h) speed.

Today we had 3 C outside temp and the car said we should be able to drive 54 km / 33.5540... miles in EV mode but we just came 35 km / 21.7479... miles, and that was in very moderate speed (40 - 70 km/h).

We always has the AC set on 21 C both in summer and winter.

Sorry about my confusing km / miles thing

• Like 2

I get 2.7 miles per Kw currently on local runs - 3.4 at best in summer. Still a perfectly reasonable range to do local runs electric only. As for heating/AC it's always on as life without comfort is too miserable a prospect just to save a little money and such efforts to 'Save' are knocked into a cocked hat by depreciation.

• Like 4

359 miles all local low speed journeys so far this month 119.4 kWh actually drawn from the grid average 3.007 miles/kWh

• Like 2

Over the moon with the miles per kwh on my 2021 phev, seems to do 3 miles per khw no matter what I do with it, ie. round town or runs on the motorway at 70 on the motorway with heat/cooling and heated seats running. Still getting a consistent 45 to 48 miles on ev even now the weathers dropped. I do preheat the cabin whilst plugged in for 20 mins before leaving every morning which must help rather than drawing from the traction Battery from stone cold on the move.

Much better than previous experiences with plug in hybrids!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last few weeks our EV range has averaged around 46 miles, today -6 degrees C EV range has now dropped to 37 miles heating, aircon and seats on, we are seeing about 2.1 miles @ kWh

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

Over the last few weeks our EV range has averaged around 46 miles, today -6 degrees C EV range has now dropped to 37 miles heating, aircon and seats on, we are seeing about 2.1 miles @ kWh

My Podpoint app is recording 12 kWh charge for the 27 mile journey works out 2.25 mile/kWh at the current Octopus Agile hours rates i.e. 20 pence @ kWh £2.40 = 8.9 pence per mile still cheaper than petrol

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Oscarmax said:

My Podpoint app is recording 12 kWh charge for the 27 mile journey works out 2.25 mile/kWh at the current Octopus Agile hours rates i.e. 20 pence @ kWh £2.40 = 8.9 pence per mile still cheaper than petrol

Only just. A litre of fuel near me is £1.30 something. And I'm getting about 50 to 55mpg. So probably 11p ish per mile?

• Like 1

Well we have just driven 1480 miles in 4 days from Greece to Yorkshire (plus two ferries). All in daylight apart from 300 miles one evening with torrential rain and only one charge before we set off the hybrid coaching is showing 54.3 mpg?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GBgraham said:

Well we have just driven 1480 miles in 4 days from Greece to Yorkshire (plus two ferries). All in daylight apart from 300 miles one evening with torrential rain and only one charge before we set off the hybrid coaching is showing 54.3 mpg?

In a C-HR?

Or do you need to update your profile?

• Like 2

Just done it as you posted

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

Only just. A litre of fuel near me is £1.30 something. And I'm getting about 50 to 55mpg. So probably 11p ish per mile?

Unleaded E10 Sainsburys cheapest in our area £1.409 litre @ 50 mpg 12.9 pence and @ 55 mpg 11.6 pence, over the last few days Octopus Agile prices are high approximately 20 pence kWh, hopefully they will drop back next week.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GBgraham said:

That's good going.🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

Unleaded E10 Sainsburys cheapest in our area £1.409 litre @ 50 mpg 12.9 pence and @ 55 mpg 11.6 pence, over the last few days Octopus Agile prices are high approximately 20 pence kWh, hopefully they will drop back next week.

It's a shame really. I know my neighbour is not impressed. When he got his Tesla it was less than half the cost per mile. To add insult, now he makes a slight loss on his company expense claims for each business trip given the figure they use for electricity reimbursement costs.

Most of my miles are short trips so EV mode works great. Long distance business trips after that. Nice smooth quiet ride and costs less (just about). It would be better if it could back to being 3 times cheaper.

• Like 1

It'll only do that if we can reduce gas use, as that's supposedly what's driving up electricity prices. If we'd got more nuclear plants up and running earlier, and not with the insane stipulations the only one we are building have, we'd be in a better place, but the only way we could bring down energy costs in the short term is more renewables, as traditional power plants take decades to build.

Unfortunately the grid operators have really dropped the ball on connecting up new sites - Supposedly there are loads of wind farms and solar plants that are built, but not feeding the grid, because the grid operators just can't keep up! Apparently because their procedures are based around connecting a few large sites, connecting lots of small-sites is seemingly beyond their ability...!

If you can stick solar panels on your roof and install a decent-sized Battery, EV ownership can be extremely cheap per-mile.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

It'll only do that if we can reduce gas use, as that's supposedly what's driving up electricity prices. If we'd got more nuclear plants up and running earlier, and not with the insane stipulations the only one we are building have, we'd be in a better place, but the only way we could bring down energy costs in the short term is more renewables, as traditional power plants take decades to build.

Unfortunately the grid operators have really dropped the ball on connecting up new sites - Supposedly there are loads of wind farms and solar plants that are built, but not feeding the grid, because the grid operators just can't keep up! Apparently because their procedures are based around connecting a few large sites, connecting lots of small-sites is seemingly beyond their ability...!

That'll definitely be a barrier to EV adoption.  

• Like 2

Well, one optimistic side effect is these plants could be turned into charging hubs if the grid operators don't pull their collective fingers out - If they add parking spaces and some buffer batteries, they could directly power the charge units without going through the grid, and since a lot of these sites are in land not far off motorways it would just require some road works on top of the endless amount of road works we already have :laugh: 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links