Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diy Oil Change....

TheNissanMan

I know there's no swearing on the forums but what a !Removed! PITA.....

Yesterday I decided as the sun was shining and I had a drive to use I would have a go at changing the oil myself as it was about time as it was about 4k since last change, plus I fancied doing something easy to the car...

After popping down to Octagon Toyota (bit of a wait but very helpful guy called Dave on parts) I got a new Oil Filter, sump washer and rear twin tail light bulb. A quick question as to whether or not they gave the owners club discount got the bill for £9.17 (well £9 something I think it was that).

Nice easy start (or so I though..) I jacked the car up and let the sump plug drop right into the collection can (DOH!!!)...

I let the car down and changed the rear plug, giving it a while before jacking up the other side to get as much oil out as possible, and then the fun started.....

I found the Oil Filter (rev1/NA engine) hidden nicely under the Heat Sink which also has a dead bolt too make life so much more interesting to try and get off, at least it was easier to get back on.

Once on topped up with Magnatex 5w-30 and she sounds lovely, so much quiter and smoother sound.

Other job to the day was to clean the HKS Filter, I bought a JAMEX cleaning kit, great little kit for £9.99, took the mushroom off, opened up the mushroom and did exactly what it said on the box, squirt the cleaning oil all over the mushroom and left out on a cloth for 10 minutes, rinsed in luke warm tap water and dried completely, once dry squirt with the Repair Oil to keep dirt away put it all back together and its done...

Only wish that !Removed! heat sink wasn't in the way but all done and now sounds great....

Next job, callipers, Im at Elvington next weekend and Brighton the weekend after that for a Batchelor Party so it'll have to wait a few weeks, with all this sun around at least there's plenty of opportunity to work the car....

Good call with the decent weather at last! I might even clean mine this evening!

So the 5W 30 the correct weight oil for the Mk2 N/A? TBH I didn;t know yet, was going to find out come the first service in a couple of months time!

I am finding it hard to resist the mod bug with the MR2, but am determined to keep her standard (other than getting that !Removed! ICE sorted sometime soon). Will be getting a set of 17s back in a couple of weeks that are "on loan" currently... probably won't bother with them (3 are buckled)... but them... might just put one on, to see how they look of course... (can you just smell the trouble!)

Oh yeah, need that Gaitor and knob too.

Do you know anything abotu the MR2 drivers club, and the insurance company in Dorset they get deals through? Just found out about it last week.

Dorset is worth a shot as sopme people find them cheaper although they do tend to be a bit pipes and slippers, A lot of people are finding AON cheaper and they also do track day cover without the reqirement to joing the club which a lot of members don't participate in...

I think the standard oil is 10w-30 from the last service I had 5w30 didn't sound that different on the label so i gave it a go and she sounds sweet as a nut...

As for the modding thing all I'll say at the moment is watch this space, a few things in the pipeline.....

Oh, gator and nob, my brother actually got off his rear and is braking it himself, I know he had another friend ask for the gator but sure the nob is available, email is haydnehaines@aol.com....

Cheers, I mailed him about the bits.

As with all N/A cars, there is little point in spending masses on modding the engine, as soon as you drive a Turbo charged car you realise it was pointless - and should have bought a turbo anyway - when I went MR2 shopping I deliverately didn't want a turbo. However, I'm now probably going to save my pennies and try and afford the Fensport Turbo conversion in a couple of years time (hopefully by then I'll be able to keep it as a weekend car). Would be cheaper and easier than to find my perfect car *again* with a turbo lump in it.

Just wondering, while the engine replacement is done, would the car need a new gearbox / clutch / brakes to take the extra power, or are these components all sytandard across the range?

It's not as difficult to get the perfect car as you might think, there are a number of good importers used by people such as IMOC that will find an MR2 with the specs that your require and budget and importit from Japan, especially if you are wiling to wait for it...

Would be better to get a standard Tubby IMO although probably get more power out of a fensport conversion depending on which route they take....

My insurance is £645 full comp. through Dorset insurance. I drive a '94 turbo, i'm 28 and had one yrs ncb. The cool thing about it was though, 'cause i have two cars, they also counted my one yrs ncb on my BMW towards my MR2 policy, in effect giving me two yrs ncb!! So, at renewal date i will have FOUR yrs ncb!!! B)

Definatly give them a call.

• 5 years later...

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd let you know that I didn't go through the Owners Club to get my Insurance.

Unfortunately, I'm an insurance broker myself and knew about More Than.

I've just turned 26 and have 5 years protected no claims and live in Dorset. They quoted me £220 for 11 months cover with the 12th month being free. If I renew with them next year, they give 2 months free.

Also, with their policies, they give what all insurers used to give which is guaranteed no claims protection. It means no matter how many claims you have where they can't recclaim their outlay from a third party, you never lose your bonus you've accrued!

It might be worth checking out when you come to your renewals!

Caroline

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links