Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Camry Owner

RBPTech

I'm not new to Toyota, I'm a retired Toyota master tech. However not on cars or trucks but forklifts, specialty was electric forklifts. 

I just purchased what will most likely be my last car since I'm 73 and drive a car until it's an antique. 

My wife and I live in the California Sierra foothills, nearest major town with a Toyota dealer is 50 miles away. 

Number one, I'm blown away by the handling of my new Camry. I once had a 66 Corvette and this car handles better than it did. Secondly the fuel mileage is fantastic so far. Bottom line is I absolutely love the car. 

One issue I do have, I see where Toyota insists on 0-16 motor oil, and that makes no sense to me. To the best of my knowledge oil viscosity is normally based on driving environment. Example my customers that used Toyota gas trucks in freezers we would use 0-20 oil in, but for normal California weather we recommended 10-30 due to our hot summers. I normally do all my own maintenance but Toyota has offered me 24 months of free PM service, so I will take them up on that. 

I took them up on the extended warranty even though it is expensive because I know how expensive parts and maintenance can get, feel it is just a good insurance policy. 

I will stick to their  oil recommendations because because I'm sure they must have a good reason for it. 

To Toyota, great job on the 2022 Camry.  

• Like 2

Yeah the new TNGA platform all the new cars are built on has improved the driving dynamics of their cars a huge amount over most previous models!

I think the thin oil is just because the tolerances in their newer engines are stupidly tight, and a thicker oil probably wouldn't get to where it's needed quickly enough, esp. in the hybrid models where the engine is starting and stopping constantly - My Yaris uses 0w8!! (Doesn't seem so bad now when it's getting cold here, but in high summer it's like water! :laugh: )

The Camry never really took off here in the UK, which is a shame as it's a very nice car to be in - Glad you're enjoying yours! :smile:

Good choice 👍, well done. For the oil just stick with what they recommend in the book, 0w16 or 0w20 only and don’t worry about the climate since has been thought by the engineers. I tested my Auris hybrid (Prius based car) during heat wave with temperatures of 40C° continued motorway driving for hours back in 2017 travelling through Europe the car performed extremely well, no oil was burning at all or changed its colour or lubricating properties 0w20 was the oil made by Petronas, total traveled of 6000 miles in 3 weeks time no issues at all. 👌

• Like 1

Welcome, Richard, to TOC.

the Camry has always been a nice car but for some reason has never caught on in the UK.

Iam just one year older then you so your sharing TOC with more then a few oldies, that I do know. 👍

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links