Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Autocar: Can the new Aygo X save the cheap city car?

FROSTYBALLS

Interesting read, good to read they still sell well to make it viable, they, even just the Aygo, definately very popular round our way. Just read the prices supposed start from £14,795, so not bad considering all extra tech. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 9:44 AM, Puglet said:

Interesting read, good to read they still sell well to make it viable, they, even just the Aygo, definately very popular round our way. Just read the prices supposed start from £14,795, so not bad considering all extra tech. 

Although would have been nice to have a more base model. Don't know if I really need or want an integrated touch screen.

10 minutes ago, Walliethefrog said:

Don't know if I really need or want an integrated touch screen.

Probably be easier and cheaper for production rather than offer two different versions of the dash (ie one for touch screen and one for non-touch screen).

Here's the link to the same article without the marketing tracking: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/analysis-can-new-toyota-aygo-x-save-cheap-city-car

In its announcement of its electrified lineup, Toyota did include a small electrified city car. However, they also made it very clear that it would sacrifice range over weight, to make it more efficient. This means that the small Aygo can serve suburban customers who also need a car to venture a bit further, beyond the city limits. 

Personally, I'm no fan (at all) of high riding cross-overs or SUVs, but this is what sells nowadays. So, it makes sense from a business perspective. It's quite impressive that Toyota has the clout to go it alone and continue to pursue the A-segment.

1 hour ago, APS said:

Personally, I'm no fan (at all) of high riding cross-overs or SUVs, but this is what sells nowadays.

An article in Le Monde, although this may not be true for the UK, stated that the average age of new car buyers today was 60+, and reading the comments in the Yaris Cross forum suggests that a fair number of buyers in the 60+ age range don't like getting into, and more probably, struggling to get out of lower cars such as Yaris/Corolla. For some reason many people feel safer with a higher driving position, too.

That said, when I look around I see the SUV/Crossover look very popular with families, too. The monospace market of the '00s has changed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links