Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12 Month Warranty with Service ?

152bobby

I noticed this at the local dealership when I collected my daughters Aygo after it's scheduled service.

Anyone have knowledge of this and what it actually means when they say 12 months warranty with every service ? (For cars under 10 years old and 100k mileage).

I'm asking because I currently have a extended warranty which runs out in January and I'm not going to renew it because the car is not used a lot (but I keep my beady eyes on it).

One thing, I'll have to get when I don't renew it is Breakdown Cover, because the included Toyota (AA) breakdown cover will also go.

Thanks

It is Toyota's Relax warranty that was introduced from 1st June 2021 -

For vehicles which are outside the new car warranty (5 years/100,000 miles or, if ordered from 1st June 2021, 3 years/60,000 miles), the Relax warranty is extended by 1 year/10,000 miles with a Toyota dealer service.

Toyota Roadside Assistance - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/roadside-assistance/

I'm a tad confused !! So as long as get it serviced at Toyota and all the boxes are ticked, I get a 12 month warranty with the service ?

If that's the case, why are they selling extended warranties like the one I have which expires in January ?

I'm under the impression they're phasing out the extended warranty for that reason, i.e. it's being replaced by the relax warranty.

That said there's been some conflicting information about how comprehensive the Relax warranty is; The extended warranty is similar to the manufacturing warranty and is quite comprehensive, and the Relax originally claimed the same, but some people have said there are more exclusions in Relax than the manufacturer and extended warranty.

And obviously you don't get any of the other stuff that was part of the extended warranty.

I must admit tho', with the servicing costs being as high as they are and the old gold/silver services for 5+ year cars no longer a thing, they needed to sweeten the pot a bit and this does a good job of that, at least to me! It does depend on what they will honour under the new warranty tho'... would it have covered the gearbox and total AC system failure in my old Mk2 for instance...?

So, in short, its FREE as long as I get the Aygo serviced at the scheduled time by a Toyota Dealer ? Obviously minus the breakdown cover.

2 minutes ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

So, in short, its FREE as long as I get the Aygo serviced at the scheduled time by a Toyota Dealer ? Obviously minus the breakdown cover.

Yes - up to the car is 10 years old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

and if you want breakdown cover check out Start Rescue, very good prices and service. Been with them now over 10 years and used them.

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

and if you want breakdown cover check out Start Rescue, very good prices and service. Been with them now over 10 years and used them.

In France, at least, if you have car insurance from Toyota's insurance provider, you get the breakdown service included. Is it like that in the UK ?

No, but I would think it is tailored to the spec the importer wants - eg Toyota GB.

France has no AA or OAMTC. 

That's the main reason why this kind of offer is successful in France where in other countries people don't care too much to have it.

Having  one or more automobile clubs also makes it easy for car brands to organise their own assistance through these ones.

No reason for all others to offer assistance then.

• Like 1

They don't, not for free anyway. I think it might be a chargeable extra, like a lot of insurance companies offer, but it's been a while since I used Toyota for insurance (They wanted £1200 to insure my Mk4!!! :eek: ).

They do offer a slight discount if you already have Toyota Roadside Assistance and give them your membership number (I think it's like 5%?)

46 minutes ago, Cyker said:

They wanted £1200 to insure my Mk4!!!

Yikes. You must do a lot of miles, and be 18 ?

Toyota Insurance France made me a very good offer, mo' better than my current insurer. Where they came out ahead was no extra charge for a monthly payment, not that I really needed that facility. TIF say if I score well on the Eco-conduite (ECO driving), then they'll give me up to an extra 12% over my standard rate. I thought, that's a challenge I am happy to accept.

• Haha 1

I don't want to throw salt in any wound but I am at 200 euro per year for my new aygo.

Important difference in service :

some companies just send a towtruck, the automobile clubs try to repair your car on the spot.

You do need some luck sometimes in who comes by. Some make more effort than others 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, haelewyn said:

some companies just send a towtruck, the automobile clubs try to repair your car on the spot

I’m old enough to remember those good old days. My dad was an AA member, and very proud of the shiny Badge that was fixed to the car. Back in the day, I can remember several occasions of the AA repairing stuff like a burst radiator hose.

TBH, with motor technology where it is today, a tow truck is probably the safer bet.

I worked for one of these clubs about 30 years ago.

I see them making less effort sometimes now to go and get a part like a coil or something. 

Used to see alternator or starter changes done on the road before but I think that's a bad idea. Other people will wait long for assistance to arrive in the same area but technicians here mainly did it to get the extra tip from the customer and to take some profit on the parts.

Too often a while later seeing problems with second hand parts again. It keeps economy going..

There are still a lot of things that can be solved by the technician like (number one breakdown) the simple startup, replace batteries, brake jobs, accident damage small repairs, ignition problems, tyre replacement or repair (also top 3), ...

Still many that can't be solved too or taking so much time that it's better to give up and send it to a garage. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2021 at 1:25 AM, Stopeter44 said:

I’m old enough to remember those good old days. My dad was an AA member, and very proud of the shiny badge that was fixed to the car. Back in the day, I can remember several occasions of the AA repairing stuff like a burst radiator hose.

TBH, with motor technology where it is today, a tow truck is probably the safer bet.

Sadly I am old enough to remember those days, the great big yellow and chrome AA badges on an equally large mounting bracket.  Around that time the AA guys used to salute you if they passed you on the road.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 10:28 PM, Cyker said:

I'm under the impression they're phasing out the extended warranty for that reason, i.e. it's being replaced by the relax warranty.

That said there's been some conflicting information about how comprehensive the Relax warranty is; The extended warranty is similar to the manufacturing warranty and is quite comprehensive, and the Relax originally claimed the same, but some people have said there are more exclusions in Relax than the manufacturer and extended warranty.

And obviously you don't get any of the other stuff that was part of the extended warranty.

I must admit tho', with the servicing costs being as high as they are and the old gold/silver services for 5+ year cars no longer a thing, they needed to sweeten the pot a bit and this does a good job of that, at least to me! It does depend on what they will honour under the new warranty tho'... would it have covered the gearbox and total AC system failure in my old Mk2 for instance...?

I have only just purchased my Aygo and as it was registered in July 2021 it has a three year warranty rather than the five.  I am not sure of the differences between this warranty and the relax one but I do know the extended warranty on the CRV I traded in cost me over £800 and there is no refund if you sell the car before the end of the term.  For the Honda warranty the car has to be no older than eight years, but on year eight you could take out a three year warrant taking to you ten years old, but as I say, you do pay a lot for such cover.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

Sadly I am old enough to remember those days, the great big yellow and chrome AA badges on an equally large mounting bracket.  Around that time the AA guys used to salute you if they passed you on the road.

To tell the truth, I'm quite pleased to have made it this far ! But yes, I remember that, too.

• Like 1

Always best to compare the conditions of a bought warranty and Relax…. See for yourself what is included/excluded rather then listen to hearsay passed down through a number of people before you hear what could well, by then, be inaccurate info.

10 hours ago, Catlover said:

Always best to compare the conditions of a bought warranty and Relax…. See for yourself what is included/excluded rather then listen to hearsay passed down through a number of people before you hear what could well, by then, be inaccurate info.

I have just read through the items covered and not covered under the relax warranty and it seem fairly comprehensive, most of the exclusions makes sense although I was surprised that multimedia was on the exclusion list but then I guess the software could be an issue and what do they do if the mobile phone providers shut down 3G.   Of course we are making the assumption you have a choice, with the introduction of Relax maybe Toyota will stop offering the Extended warranty option.  

One word of caution though you need to look very carefully if you go elsewhere.  It is a long story which I will not bore people with but I did one year warranty on my Honda CRV and accepted a £100 excess to keep costs down.  In that year I needed some bushes changed on the suspension which was covered under both warranties but the non Honda warranty broke the work down to three separate repairs, one rear suspension, one front offside suspension and one front nearside suspension and yes they did charge me £100 excess on each of the repairs.  The Honda warranty looked expensive upfront but there would have been no excess charge.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hornet3D said:

In that year I needed some bushes changed on the suspension which was covered under both warranties

Interesting example, this wouldn't be covered by the Relax warranty because all rubber parts including mountings and bushes are excluded. 

2 hours ago, AJones said:

Interesting example, this wouldn't be covered by the Relax warranty because all rubber parts including mountings and bushes are excluded. 

Point taken, I was surprised at the time as I would not have expected the bushes to be covered by either warranty as most warranties would regard bushes as normal wear and tear and so excluded.   Then again the CRV had done less than 20,000 miles so I was surprised they needed changing as well.  In the end I really couldn't complain but I just thought the breaking down of the work so to generate multiple excess payments was I little underhand.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links