Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Paint Fade

qwertyuiop

I've just been on MR2oc.co.uk - someone was talking about getting a respray, so he was asking peoples opinions... one person said,

"My last car was a bright red MX-3 1.8 V6 which got sun fade after a minute in the sun! I won't buy a red motor again. Only people with shares in T-Cut should by red motors."

he also said,

"Caribean Blues are fine in the sun. I have never had any problems with fading paint work on mine. "

...I know it's been questioned to death etc. but do people find red paint fades easily.....I know Jimlad has just had a respray a few months back... the scales are tipping again.

Dont know if red quicker to fade than others... but probably considering a mate of mine had a red EVO 4 and we all took the p!55 cus after 2 years the poor blokes spoiler and skirts deffinatly had a tinge of pink :yes: :D

Red does as it's the actual frequancy of the colour that makes it fade quicker in sun light ..

The OLD red paints used to have lead in to make it last .. this was removed in the 80's and 9o's and it's only now they are making red paint that is okay after 10 years..

Thanks, learn something new everyday. When you say it's only now, when is this since, like this year/millenium - I'm looking at a rev 3, so thats L/M/N reg, so presumably, the paint will be looking pretty faded in a year or two, if not already? Where's Jimlad, how come he got a respray, different colour before, or just tired paintwork?

...I really don't want to be thinking about a respray so soon after getting a new car... I don't want to be driving a pink motor around though...

Yeah red definitely fades the most. Dunno about Toyotas so much. Some manufacturers don't seem as bad as others. My brother's 7 year old red Astra has gone really pink now.

As we're on this subject, my fuel filler cap seems to be quite faded (my car is black). Looks like it might have had a dodgy respray or something.

Yah man, I had a Tornado red MK2 Golf a few years back, which had different shades of red panels. It originally took my just over 8 hours to bring it back to it's original color. But after all the hrad work it sure paid off. SHe was so gorg, a real head turner man. But I had to ' bring it back' once a week for it to remain red tho. man, I just got so tired of it in the end, I ended up getting my 2nd 735i BM. In Met Blk. BEAST.

Mine's faded, but will shortly be going to Auto Body Perfections in Cardiff to be stripped and sprayed. Cant wait!

...just means it'll be off the road for a month. :(

HI mate,

with regards to fading I have seen many REV1/REV2's faded (uk cars) but not many rev3's at all - i was told toyota had lacquered the paint differently on rev3's to stop it fading as much as the earlier ones...

Rash.

My paint is fading badly i gave it a damn good tcut ,within a week its fading again

:crybaby::crybaby:

my previous shade of red wasn't in that bad a condition really.. just wanted a change and quite like the super red II colour.

Will be looking to change b4 the end of the year probably tho. Only because I get bored.

My red Rev 3 is little bit faded so if it isnt polished (like at the moment :( ) and the paint is looking flat then TBH you can tell - BUT looks the business when clean though! If you are planning on looking after it then I would buy the one you prefer as you shouldnt have a problem!

Polishing dull paintwork only helps for a while, once it rains the polish gradually gets washed off and the paint goes duller again. Wax is better than polish coz it lasts a bit longer and also puts a protective layer on the paint, whereas polish actually removes the paint!

The main reason colours like red, blue, black and white or any other non metallic colour fades is because they normally dont get laquered so the pigment is open to attack from the elements.

Metallic paint is laquered so the paint doesnt become faded.

i have a crimson red import and have the same problem, to make it worse someone previous has repaired the front over the old paint, lucely im a panel beater so its going in for a full respray in the new year. if anyone wants any advise on their red mr2. for a good finish you need more laquer than base coat on the car. well thats my opinion. Or get a different colour

I’ve had three “pink” cars, two of them Toyotas. My Mk1 MR2 went pink and I gave up on her and sold her to my dad. He retired and spent hours on the arches and paintwork and now she looks like new again. All it took was lots of effort with t-cut and colour restorer. I want her back now… she’s like an ex-girlfriend that’s lost a load of weight and now looks really hot again. Memories… anyway, I digress.

I then owned a MkIII supra and she started to go pink on me too. Especially the bonnet and spoiler… The lacquer started to come off on the roof too. So that’s two red Toyotas from about the same era (90 and 92) that had exactly the same paint problems.

I heard that Toyota changed it’s red paint in about 93/94 because of this problem so the Rev3s should not exhibit it. I think it’s in that book on the MR2... don’t remember where I heard it… pos even the IMOC site… but it was a reliable source.

Having said that I bought a black Mk2 when it came to get rid of the Supra. (don't buy one by the way - they're ****).

I've got no problems with fading on my motor (a rev 4) but I have seen a rev 3 in the car park at work and that has faded a bit. Having said that it would probably look better if the owner decided to clean and polish it.

I took off the rear boot badges only to put them back on again due to the fact it was a slightly darker shade of blue where they use to be. But no this wasn't because of a re-spray, I found out that the sun has faded the metallic blue over the last 7 years and underneath the 'TOYOTA' and '2.0GT-i16' badges was the original unfaded colour. <_<

if you polish/wax your motor regularly, should it be ok ??

I'm lazy and still to polish my motor after the respray... doh !

Was trying to get people to do it for money at JAE... that didn't work tho.

If you want to get the whole bootlid looking like that, get some cutting compound and polish it up with that. Its a gritty polish designed to revamp your paint. Dont forget to wax it afterwards. :thumbsup:

Where can you get cutting compound from 'Halfords' or some place like that? It won't burn the metallic finish will it? :huh:

I've only had the car 5 months. Now if I had it from when it was fairly new this might not be the case....I have already used T-Cut on the silouetted Badge marks ....but that did absolutely nothing. :angry:

Yeah try Halfords, they should sell it. theres very little chance of you being able to burn the paint polishing it by hand.

Different if you were using an electric buff.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links