Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Home Charger Grant

nlee

It's coming up to 3 weeks since my remote survey and subsequent contact with BG by phone and email confirms that they have a big backlog of installation requests (for my region at least). This was their last reply:

"Sorry for what I know seems like a delay, however to ensure things are done safely involves a lot more than you’d expect, for example gaining approval from you network operator, the people who manage the physical supply to your property.

We will get back to you as soon as we have more to tell.

Thanks for your patience

Electric Vehicle Support Team

Tel: 03332021054"

Looks like a waiting game for me. I'll email them again next week.

My survey is now on 28th Feb. At least our energy supplier is also BG so hopefully will simplify the process. 

WooHoo 😃😃😃

Installation of FREE wall charger scheduled for 25th February!

Excerpt from confirmation:

"I’m pleased to tell you that it has passed the Load Assessment and we can progress to get your install booked for you now. As part of this installation we will be installing a Load Management device on the EV charger by using this device we do not have to notify the DNO (SSEN) in advance of installing the charger but will notify them following a successful installation via the connect and notify process. This device will turn the charger off if the overall load of the property gets to 60amps and then back on again once the load reduces down sufficiently".

This surprised me as it has a 100amp fuse - perhaps this is standard procedure?

16 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

WooHoo 😃😃😃

"I’m pleased to tell you that it has passed the Load Assessment and we can progress to get your install booked for you now. As part of this installation we will be installing a Load Management device on the EV charger by using this device we do not have to notify the DNO (SSEN) in advance of installing the charger but will notify them following a successful installation via the connect and notify process. This device will turn the charger off if the overall load of the property gets to 60amps and then back on again once the load reduces down sufficiently".

That's great news.

I mentioned somewhere before that the charger they are supplying was capable of load balancing but was an optional extra. I think it's only a lead that connects to the meter, or a CT clamp.

My charge point (not BG) has load balancing and was the same in that they only need to notify the DNO within a few weeks rather than waiting to seek permission because it has the load balancing protection. I presumed the reason a few of you were having to wait for the DNO was because they didn't want to absorb the extra cost of the load balancing. Maybe for some it isn't as easy if it's a long run and the cost is higher.

I have a 100 amp main fuse too but it's still good to have the additional protection. I think the installer set mine at 70 or 75 amps, I can't remember what he said. Mine has never reduced output so far and doubt it ever would. Nothing else I use comes anywhere near the 7kw/32 amps of the charger according to my smart meter data.

19 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

WooHoo 😃😃😃

Hi, Lawnmowerman

That's great news, when did you have your survey done and was it a person or a virtual one ?

5 hours ago, George Dodds said:

Hi, Lawnmowerman

That's great news, when did you have your survey done and was it a person or a virtual one ?

Physical survey carried out on 28th January.

Kudos to Toyota for funding this. When I contacted them on 30th November about a wall charger (having owned the car for 2 months) they offered a £350 discount through British Gas or, alternatively, a refund of £350 if I choose to use an alternative. Very glad I procrastinated 😂.

2 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Physical survey carried out on 28th January.

Kudos to Toyota for funding this. When I contacted them on 30th November about a wall charger (having owned the car for 2 months) they offered a £350 discount through British Gas or, alternatively, a refund of £350 if I choose to use an alternative. Very glad I procrastinated 😂.

Great news. My survey done same day, although my install is a little complicated as I I had to bury a duct for the cable. Hopefully I will get a fitting date soon. Thanks. 

1 minute ago, George Dodds said:

Great news. My survey done same day, although my install is a little complicated as I I had to bury a duct for the cable. Hopefully I will get a fitting date soon. Thanks. 

Hope you get a fitting date soon George. 

I wonder how long Toyota's largesse will last now that the RAV is listed on the grant scheme (and that the scheme is ending at the end of March).

Right, I have found the part of Toyota's website to order the BG Hive wall charger.  However, it just shows a £350 discount and no free option?  How does that work, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Incidentally, it does say that the current high demand makes it unlikely that it will be installed by April and will therefore I will likely miss out on the grant too...

10 minutes ago, Centaur said:

Right, I have found the part of Toyota's website to order the BG Hive wall charger.  However, it just shows a £350 discount and no free option?  How does that work, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Incidentally, it does say that the current high demand makes it unlikely that it will be installed by April and will therefore I will likely miss out on the grant too...

Hi. Maybe ask Toyota if they will pay 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links