Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hi new member with a new order on way.

Chuffmonkey

Hi There, I have just registered with the forum after ordering a new Corolla TS, GR with the 2.0L engine. I had a test drive and immediately loved the way it drove, it was quite, comfortable and pretty quick when I put my foot down. Sadly delivery is expected June/July.

Hopefully here is to many years of happy motoring. Toyota are renowned for reliability and was the sensible choice for my first brand new car 'ever' in 20 years of driving.

After placing the order something was playing on my mind about the CVT gear box. I was under the illusion that CVT was a continues drive with no gears. How does the semi auto flappy paddles work on such gear box? Unfortunately I didn't use them on the test drive.   

Hello Joseph - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

The gearbox in Toyota hybrids is an e-CVT rather than a conventional CVT.

Have a look at the following topic: 

Welcome and excellent choice of car! I have a MY21 one and a MY22 order on the way (April). 

I used the paddles for about 30 seconds and haven’t touched them since, pretty pointless and not worth bothering with in my opinion. My understanding is that the software tries to ‘simulate’ gear changes. 

9 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Hello Joseph - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

The gearbox in Toyota hybrids is an e-CVT rather than a conventional CVT.

Have a look at the following topic: 

I have just edited my profile after an oversight from myself, ooops. I am also a Mike. Thanks for the link I will have a look about the eCVT

2 minutes ago, StreetHawk said:

Welcome and excellent choice of car! I have a MY21 one and a MY22 order on the way (April). 

I used the paddles for about 30 seconds and haven’t touched them since, pretty pointless and not worth bothering with in my opinion. My understanding is that the software tries to ‘simulate’ gear changes. 

I had paddles on one of my previous cars, a Saab Aero 9-3, It was great using the paddles in the country lanes but that was a conventional auto box. You could feel the car dropping a gear and it was really engaging. 

Welcome to the forum! I've just ordered the 1.8 Corolla GR Sport, 14-16 week wait. I was debating about getting the 2.0.

Since I downgraded on performance, thought I'd treat myself with the extra style and that HUD is great. 

1.8 shifts more than I expected, was pleasantly surprised 

On 2/2/2022 at 10:38 PM, Perry313 said:

Welcome to the forum! I've just ordered the 1.8 Corolla GR Sport, 14-16 week wait. I was debating about getting the 2.0.

Since I downgraded on performance, thought I'd treat myself with the extra style and that HUD is great. 

1.8 shifts more than I expected, was pleasantly surprised 

I was originally booked to test drive the 1.8 and I could then make my mind up if I wanted the bigger engine or not. On arrival they had the 2.0L available, I enjoyed driving that car so decided to proceed with the order.

Now that could have been great sales tactics by getting me in a 2.0 rather then a 1.8 as it worked but when looking around the forecourt, the car I drove was the only GR estate on the forecourt.

Agree about the HUD, I have never experienced that in a car before but I remember looking at the HUD more for my speed then the actual speedo cluster so it defiantly does its job.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links