Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Scored Flywheel, Clunky Shift?

blueapple

This problem has been bothering me so much... I don't know what is the problem.

Symptoms:

This is especailly significant when the car is cold: when shifting, if the clutch is engaged fast (not very fast, just faster then SQUEEZING), there will be a deep clunk, or more like a rubber hammer hitting a solid piece of metal.

When it comes to a stop, I did this test: shift the transmission in to first gear, ( to stop the input shaft from spinnning with the engine. and then shift in to neutral, release the clutch fast. there is another clunk, not as loud, but still can be heard or even felt from the cabin.

the clunk only happens on upshifts, or the engine speed is faster than the wheel speed. it doesn't do this when the wheel is faster than engine.

One thing that I know: THe flywheel was scored a bit. Some blue and purple marks, but the surface was very smooth and flat, so I didn't bother to change it or replace it.

Could this cause such problems?

Synchros and bearings in the gear box? doesn't it require opening up the transmission? So you suggest that the problem is more likely from the transmission? rather than clutch?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links