Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Do you like/use cruise control? How do you feel about it?

miwke

Personally I don't like to use it. It makes me feel like I'm paying less attention to the act of driving than I should be. I also wouldn't want to get into a habit of using it because a lot of the year we have snowy roads.

Adaptive cruise control is great, coupled with LTA it takes a lot of physical stress out of driving, particularly for the neck and shoulders. I use ACC whenever I can.

Standard cruise control, it depends on traffic conditions more than anything. If the road is relatively clear and straight it's good, but once there's just a touch too much traffic, like lots of trucks to overtake and cars going faster than you, it's not so hot.

Turning the last answer around, I have used CC for 45 years and with a simple stork on/off.  The best time was on the Continental autoroute. Set at the limit it was certainly relaxing. 

I now use ACC as much as I can and that, coupled the spacing again make for very relaxed motoring. 

There are however two points to watch.  One is where the car slows approaching a slower vehicle when you would normally just overtake.  The other is when you override the ACC but expect the car to slow automatically. 

We use cruise mainly on motorways, and it is more relaxing on long journeys (eg our 500+ mile journey each way to Skye).

The other side to cruise is the limiter - which we use on both cars when travelling through road works with average speed cameras, etc.

Yes!! It is one of my favourite things! I have wanted a Yaris with cruise control ever since I'd driven a car with cruise control!

It makes long boring journeys so much easier, esp. on the foot and the brain as you don't have to waste thinking power and constantly making small foot movements to keep to the speed limit for long periods of time.

I used to feel like I was getting hypnotised on long stretches of 50mph roadworks where you have 4 lanes of cars practically in lock-step with 1-2mph variances - The CC has made that sooo much more tolerable.

I usually feel far less brain-fatigued on long motorway journeys too when I use it.

I use it everywhere, motorways, A-roads, 30 and 20mph urban streets - Not literally all the time, but where there is a clear road or obnoxious traffic that I CBA to deal with *poke* *flick* and I just let the CC deal with it so I can concentrate on stopping the LTA from trying to kill me :laugh: 

I am constantly flicking it on and off tho as the radar cruise is not very good with sudden speed changes so I often flick it off as soon as I see something developing ahead so I can let the car coast down rather than let it continue at the same speed then suddenly brake really hard.

I treat the whole system like a nervous learner and take over as soon as things start to get even slightly complex tho' as it is still a very rudimentary system.

• Like 2

I seldom use the ACC because most of my driving is on short runs. But I have used it on the odd occasion that I have a long journey particularly on the motorway, where I find it very useful. The LTA is a pain in the butt,

• Like 2

I have grown into liking auto cruise control, and I use the speed limiter more now then before…… happened in the last two years.  Both systems are so easy to use on the Prius I can quickly change from one to the other, and back again if I want. 
I agree, the auto braking when using ACC can be aggressive, but I anticipate it and the flick of a switch and I am am back to full control.          
The speed limiter I use particularly on motorway roadworks where the is average speed cameras. If it is a 50 limit, that is what I set the limiter at (well maybe 52 due to inaccuracies) knowing I can go no faster but I can go slower, if slower traffic, hence my average speed is bound to be less then 50.

• Like 1

Standard or radar, in a motorway environment, I would not be without it in some shape or form. It's so much easier to concentrate on safe driving and good observation when you're able to pay more attention to the road than the speedometer. That's when not in heavy traffic, which can obviously be quite a  rare occasion if you're using the car mostly for commuting.

I'm pretty sure I've never forgotten to leave it off in the snow.

• Like 2

I love the adaptive cruise control. I use it all the time on the motorway. I use the speed limiter quite often too. Love them both. In my opinion, it makes things easier and safer for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

Maybe it should be Bleep,Bleep,Bleep 🤔😂

• Haha 2

I use it loads, was one of my main reasons for getting the car.

Radar on the motorway, I'm not the most comfortable driver on the motorway and the combination of radar cruise and lane keep assist really helps overtaking the never end stream of lorries.

And the "other" cruise function where it sticks to the speed limit is mega useful around town where there's average speed cameras. I can set it to the desired speed and it will not go over it no matter what, which means i can concentrate on driving safely and it takes care of the speed.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

The LTA is a pain in the butt,

You need to set the warning to steering wheel vibration, you'll barely notice its action. Once the beep, beep, beep is gone, I think it's very good on the country roads around my way.

• Like 1

I love it...but sadly (and surprisingly) my Estima doesn't have it..wish it did for my longer runs up to N. Yorks.

On previous cars which had CC I found it very relaxing to use on a longer trip on the A1/motorway etc

Locally I wouldn't use it.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 7:57 PM, miwke said:

Personally I don't like to use it. It makes cinema hd me feel like I'm paying less attention to the act of driving than I should be. I also wouldn't want to get into a habit of using it because a lot of the year we have snowy roads.

solved.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links