Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smooth change aygo automatic, gears I mean!

GBJ

The X-Shift is an automated manual gearbox, rather than a conventional automatic.

22 minutes ago, GBJ said:

New owner 2015 aygo.At low speeds gear change seems “jerky”, is this normal?

Hi Barry, welcome to the TOC. I can’t help you as I’ve never sat in or driven the Aygo, plenty of Aygo owners on here and they will chime in. Good luck with the Toyota Aygo.

It seems to be a common characteristic of the much maligned MMT automatic gearboxes, esp. as they age.

Sometimes it can mean they need re-calibrating, or the clutch is wearing out if it's really bad tho'

thanks for the replies, helpful but not sure what MMT means. This secondhand car is very low mileage so unless it has been successfully tampered with I think I must assume it is a feature of this gearbox.

Is it  fixable? Should I have it looked at by a mechanic, should I just live with it!

Again, thanks for the interest.

GBJ

MMT=Multi-Mode Transmission

It's basically what Toyota call their single-clutch semi-automatic gearbox - It's basically a normal manual gearbox, but a robot controls the clutch and gear-selection instead of your left arm and foot.

It doesn't have the finesse of a human, so can be jerky, but if it's excessively bad it may be a sign the system needs servicing.

It's got a bad reputation here as so many people have posted problems with it in the past!

From what I've seen, the people that have the least trouble with it drive in 'manual' mode, and pick the gears themselves rather than trust the computer to do it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links