Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Silent exhaust system for Aygo 2021

haelewyn

Hi guys,

This is most of all a thinking exercise. Maybe the cost of the whole thing will be too much for me and I won't change it anyway.

I was thinking of ways to make this car more silent.
I hear sounds, mainly when i apply the throttle, in the engine bay and part of the noise must be coming from the exhaust.
It's a cheaply made system (has its' advantages) so it won't last for ever anyway and the price of an original system (or aftermarket identical) will be cheap I guess.

What I was wondering : how to silence the roar under the hood more than it is done by the factory ?
Could adding an other 'pot' somewhere silence the whole car when using the throttle ?

Does anybody have experience with replacing the original exhaust system (perhaps keeping the cat for cost reasons) or other measures to make the car more silent ? What would be the cost of that ?
I guess Toyota wouldn't have a solution on the shelve for this thing ?

The 1kr has always been a loud engine its a little 3 pot, by its nature is an unbalanced engine, it's a cheap car, so sound deadening isn't high on the list, adding some under bonnet and to interior firewall will reduce the sound, i suppose to could add a a bigger mid-silencer in the exhaust

or

you could turn your radio up or your hearing aid down 😉

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Using the throttle less and driving like an 80 years old helps too.
First days I had this car, I made it rev more than today.
Getting used a bit now to slow reaction of the car to the throttle pedal compared to a 130 hp previous car.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, haelewyn said:

Using the throttle less and driving like an 80 years old helps too.
First days I had this car, I made it rev more than today.
Getting used a bit now to slow reaction of the car to the throttle pedal compared to a 130 hp previous car.

Agree - I drive with feather-light throttle most of the time which helps noise levels and MPG! 

• Like 2

Probably helps to avoid wear and tear also 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flash22 said:

The 1kr has always been a loud engine its a little 3 pot, by its nature is an unbalanced engine, it's a cheap car, so sound deadening isn't high on the list, adding some under bonnet and to interior firewall will reduce the sound, i suppose to could add a a bigger mid-silencer in the exhaust

or

Have you been talking to my wife?  Her answer to any noise is to turn the music up.

3 hours ago, NorthantsRob said:

Agree - I drive with feather-light throttle most of the time which helps noise levels and MPG! 

I drive very much the same, feather light throttle and try and read the road in an attempt to avoid sudden manoeuvres.  At present I am am being a little heavier on the throttle than I would like as I try to adapt my driving from driving a 2L CRV to the Aygo.

• Like 1

I installed an Ultragauge and it is clear on that, that if you use light feathered feet to drive off, you still kick the 2000 revs sometimes without being able to avoid it.

Had the same with a Mitsubishi Colt 3 cylinder engine I drove regularly before.
But since that was not mine, I made less effort in keeping it all feather light.

I have added sound deadening panels to a couple of my cars and they do make quite a difference for very little cost and if you have the time to spare there is little you can do wrong as long as you are careful around anything that needs cooling.

Yeah ... That must be a help. I agree.
If i have enough time and courage (never did this kind of thing), i am gonna order some of these things.

If i win Lottery soon I prefer to just buy a Camry Hybrid.
Going from the aygo to the camry would be a good change , I guess.

7 hours ago, flash22 said:

I fitted rubber seals around the doors which reduced wind noise and Goodyear tyres which reduced road noise. 

I think you will need soundproofing under the carpet and in the bulkhead to reduced engine and exhaust noise. There are soundproofing kits a available. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haelewyn said:

Yeah ... That must be a help. I agree.
If i have enough time and courage (never did this kind of thing), i am gonna order some of these things.

If i win Lottery soon I prefer to just buy a Camry Hybrid.
Going from the aygo to the camry would be a good change , I guess.

You should be fine, it does not need a lot of courage, the panels are usually self stick and although thin they are quite heavy.  In cold weather they can be a little bit brittle or difficult to apply to a shaped panel but a little bit of heat from either a hair dryer or heat gun on a low setting will soon solve that.  At first look to apply to large panels as that stops them vibrating which may be possible due to tyres and the like.  Take care near wiring you don't want the pull on any wiring while reaching to get to a panel and you don't want to hide any wiring in case you need to trace it in the future.  

Do not block any air flow but this is more a concern on electric cars. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links