Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie to Toyota

Newbie47

Hello and thanks for accepting me into the club. Joined up as I was seriously considering buying the new Yaris and it helped me make my decision. Ordered today and happy to make it my first ever new car!

Hello Ady - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Ady, welcome to Toyota Owners Club

After 57 years of motoring we have only had 5 brand new cars…..                Vauxhall Chevette, Skoda Felicia, Octavia, Fabia, Citroen C1.      
For sure it’s nice to pick up a new car from a dealer, but it soone becomes not so new.  We have now accepted it is better value for money to buy a car 2 or 3 years old.  But you enjoy your new car, just like we have.

16 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Ady, welcome to Toyota Owners Club

After 57 years of motoring we have only had 5 brand new cars…..                Vauxhall Chevette, Skoda Felicia, Octavia, Fabia, Citroen C1.      
For sure it’s nice to pick up a new car from a dealer, but it soone becomes not so new.  We have now accepted it is better value for money to buy a car 2 or 3 years old.  But you enjoy your new car, just like we have.

Good point Joe! I bought my first new car, the C-HR with help and lots of education from club member like yourselves. The used car market is so inflated that buying a new car with good discount (eg got ~11% off via Carwow), selling old car at higher price, and favourable finance terms (got 1k contribution from Toyota finance and 0% APR) make buying new car a bit attractive. I sold my  3 years old car for more than (around 2k more) what I paid 1.5 years ago. Otherwise, I would always buy as you have mentioned.

Ady, welcome to the club. You will love Yaris!

1 minute ago, Spo2 said:

Good point Joe! I bought my first new car, the C-HR with help and lots of education from club member like yourselves. The used car market is so inflated that buying a new car with good discount (eg got ~11% off via Carwow), selling old car at higher price, and favourable finance terms (got 1k contribution from Toyota finance and 0% APR) make buying new car a bit attractive.

I just wonder if the current inflated used car prices will change dramatically within the next 6-8 months. Will the increase in council tax, massive energy prices, national insurance contribution increase, fuel prices going up, then increases due to the war in Ukraine…I just wonder if as many will be able to afford to buy a new car and keep what they got, maybe some who have bought a new car will have to sell sending more used cars into the market bringing used prices down.

Welcome Ady. What model Yaris have you ordered?

14 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I just wonder if the current inflated used car prices will change dramatically within the next 6-8 months. Will the increase in council tax, massive energy prices, national insurance contribution increase, fuel prices going up, then increases due to the war in Ukraine…I just wonder if as many will be able to afford to buy a new car and keep what they got, maybe some who have bought a new car will have to sell sending more used cars into the market bringing used prices down.

I think the prices of used car will come down but not sure when - maybe 1 year or more. I think the sale of cars by retail users might have not much impact on the used car prices as most of the car that come to used car market  are the business and/or lease vehicles. In my case, I got a new car almost the same price as a 2 year old car. Someone who can afford to pay full upfront for the car will benefit even more- for example if the car is for 30k, they can pay 3K, and put remaining 27k in riskless savings account (saving interests rates are up) and save another £1000 -1500 over 3 years. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

Good point Joe! I bought my first new car, the C-HR with help and lots of education from club member like yourselves. The used car market is so inflated that buying a new car with good discount (eg got ~11% off via Carwow), selling old car at higher price, and favourable finance terms (got 1k contribution from Toyota finance and 0% APR) make buying new car a bit attractive. I sold my  3 years old car for more than (around 2k more) what I paid 1.5 years ago. Otherwise, I would always buy as you have mentioned.

Ady, welcome to the club. You will love Yaris!

Thanks Spo2. Sounds familiar to me as got 8% off via Carwow, 0% APR and hopefully a reasonable price for my current car. I shall look forward to getting it! 

1 minute ago, Newbie47 said:

Thanks Spo2. Sounds familiar to me as got 8% off via Carwow, 0% APR and hopefully a reasonable price for my current car. I shall look forward to getting it! 

Ady, I did exactly this. Sell the car to Cazoo, Motorway, Carwow etc - put at multiple sites and sell them to the one who offers you best price. I got best offer from Cazoo. You would certainly get better price than part ex with the dealer.

Nice !! Now the wait begins.

• Like 2

Is my first new car too - I've never dropped so much money on a single thing so was a big source of anxiety! (Esp. since I was breaking my #1 rule about buying cars, i.e. don't buy new!!)

But was worth the anxiety and the wait - Is a damned good car! Even the dealer's incompetence wasn't enough to take the edge off my enjoyment of the car :biggrin: 

The driving dynamics and powertrain have been improved so much over the previous models - It's almost as much fun to drive as my friend's fiesta but with half the fuel costs :laugh: 

• Like 3

Welcome, Ady...good choice.

• Like 1

Thanks Spo2

Have had a better offer than the px offered by the dealer.

Considering wether to accept it (offer only open for a short period) or try the sites you have mentioned.

If I accept it I know it would be a no hassle sale (don’t know what these sites are like as never tried before).

Also the wheels are quite badly scuffed/marked and I know I’ll be knocked down for these on any further offers. 

Food for thought for me! 

Can’t wait to get it now! 🙂

PS will have to get used to quoting post/tagging people properly! Thanks all

Edited by Newbie47

1 hour ago, Newbie47 said:

Thanks Spo2

Have had a better offer than the px offered by the dealer.

Considering wether to accept it (offer only open for a short period) or try the sites you have mentioned.

If I accept it I know it would be a no hassle sale (don’t know what these sites are like as never tried before).

Also the wheels are quite badly scuffed/marked and I know I’ll be knocked down for these on any further offers. 

Food for thought for me! 

Check Cazoo's offer- they send you instantly. When you enter car details, match the conditions as per their classification. If you mention (e your scuffed wheels) in-line with their criteria, they won't knock off any value. Obviously, you don't have to sell them now but you would get your offer. If this is attractive, then do the exercise again when you want to sell- Cazoo's quote is valid for only 7 days.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

Check Cazoo's offer- they send you instantly. When you enter car details, match the conditions as per their classification. If you mention (e your scuffed wheels) in-line with their criteria, they won't knock off any value. Obviously, you don't have to sell them now but you would get your offer. If this is attractive, then do the exercise again when you want to sell- Cazoo's quote is valid for only 7 days.

Thanks Spo2 will give that a go.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links