Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Cover - What a waste of money

Hornet3D

Living in a modern house, sort of, and owning a Honda CRV for a length of time meant the garage was never going to be used for it's original purpose (it is now a split games room and craft workshop).  The best I could do was invest in a decent car cover which I did.

Having recently swapped my CRV for an Aygo I decided that I should do the same and invest in a decent cover, which sadly I now find I didn't.   It was not cheap, well at least I thought close to £100 for a cover for a car the size of the Aygo was fair.   Last night the forecast was for a frost and knowing we were to be using the car first thing I decided to use the cover, covering a clean and dry car.   To my horror when I came to remove it it had frozen solid to the car and not just in the odd place, front bumper, bonnet roof and rear were as if the cover had been glued on.  The cover was meant to be waterproof and the material was meant to be breathable.  

I now have another cover on order, more expensive and made in the UK but I guess the silver lining was I knew what questions to ask this time around.

• Like 1

you made a point of saying the new cover is "made in the UK", is that a guarantee it will be better, or is there some other thought.

• Haha 1

That's a shame Hornet, sounds like that kind of cover is more likely to damage the bodywork than protect it.

Even with a good one though do you have to make sure the car is clean before putting the cover on ?

As in to avoid rubbing grit or dust into scratches.

Never used one myself, so no experience of these.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Catlover said:

you made a point of saying the new cover is "made in the UK", is that a guarantee it will be better, or is there some other thought.

I should have worded it better, I was not implying that covers outside the UK were all rubbish or that ones made in the UK were always great.  It was more that, being based in the UK I was able to talk to someone who could give me advice and there was far more information on the web site, the other one was purchased through through Amazon and I sort of took the description on face value.  The UK company also have a 4.9 out of five rating on Trustpilot with 2,800+ reviews, some of which were from people who had to return their cover, such as the one that loved the cover but was on their own and found it too difficult to put on.    I each case the company seemed to come up with a solution that the customer was happy with.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

That's a shame Hornet, sounds like that kind of cover is more likely to damage the bodywork than protect it.

Even with a good one though do you have to make sure the car is clean before putting the cover on ?

As in to avoid rubbing grit or dust into scratches.

Never used one myself, so no experience of these.

Clearly there are limitations and precautions that need to be taken into account when using a cover.  The ideal solution would be to garage the car but over the years that I had the CRV the garage was slowly converted into a different environment so it is not just a case of clearing the garage.   Even if I were to clear it the garage still has issues, when I had a Honda Civic the parking had to be precise to be able to drive the car and have enough room to get out of the car (and the wall needed rubber sheeting for that to happen without damaging the paint on the door edge).  I even managed to damage a mirror backing out of the garage on one occasion as there was only about an inch of clearance either side.  Things would be a little better as I now have a roll up garage door so the opening is a little wider, the old door had to be changed when the centre coil spring counterbalancing the door broke and it turned out that the one manufacturer that used such a spring had ceased making them some years ago.

Out of twenty houses in the street there is only one owner that garages their car every time. 

Most garages “today” are for storing stuff, maybe mostly rubbish, and the cars worth thousands are outside.

Actually I don’t mind the car being on the drive (no garage anyway😄). Ok, it gets wet, but then it dries in the wind, under wheel arches as well. Putting a wet car in the garage could be seen as inviting problems.☹️

• Like 1

I myself unfortunately do not have a garage, although I would very much like one.

The houses here are 30s semi's and some have retro built garages, but only where there has been previously agreed access through the single car width space between them.

Even then with changing occupiers I could see that becoming a problem for some ie the shared access.

Since my last post though I have seen on the other thread how beautifully clean you keep your car.👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Most garages “today” are for storing stuff, maybe mostly rubbish, and the cars worth thousands are outside.

Actually I don’t mind the car being on the drive (no garage anyway😄). Ok, it gets wet, but then it dries in the wind, under wheel arches as well. Putting a wet car in the garage could be seen as inviting problems.☹️

I take you point on putting a wet car away in the garage.

The house owners here are a mixed bunch, many use their garages for storage as you suggest but one has turned it into an office.  It was done meeting all the planning regulations and cost thousands.  Another has had the garage door changed for a patio door and seems to converted it to a gym.  Mine is still essentially a garage all I have done is added a ceiling and partitioned it half way down.  One half has a games console and driving set up complete with seat, pedals and gear change while the other is a workshop which I use for many things but mostly modelling for a garden railway and robot vehicles, not that I get much time these days.  It also has a false floor so that there are few trailing wires with all the wiring for the machines and tech stuff under the floor.

• Like 3

Oooh that sounds awesome :biggrin: 

I kinda wish I had a garage these past few days - My car has turned orange! :eek: 

(That sahara dust combined with yesterdays' rain left caramel-coloured mud goop all over my car this morning :crybaby: )

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

I take you point on putting a wet car away in the garage.

The house owners here are a mixed bunch, many use their garages for storage as you suggest but one has turned it into an office.  It was done meeting all the planning regulations and cost thousands.  Another has had the garage door changed for a patio door and seems to converted it to a gym.  Mine is still essentially a garage all I have done is added a ceiling and partitioned it half way down.  One half has a games console and driving set up complete with seat, pedals and gear change while the other is a workshop which I use for many things but mostly modelling for a garden railway and robot vehicles, not that I get much time these days.  It also has a false floor so that there are few trailing wires with all the wiring for the machines and tech stuff under the floor.

Nice one.

5 hours ago, Catlover said:

Just to add to this (just had a brainwave😳), a carport would be better than a garage IMO.  Would keep the frost off but allow ventilation around and under the car.

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

Just to add to this (just had a brainwave😳), a carport would be better than a garage IMO.  Would keep the frost off but allow ventilation around and under the car.

That would be a great idea but I don't think that would be possible in my instance.  While carports generally do not need planning permission they do need to comply to certain rules and, if I remember rightly, there is some rule that they cannot be in front of the house that faces a road.  There are three types of houses in our street, terraced that have a separate garage block, semi detached and link detached where the house are linked by the garage.  There is no rear access to any of the properties the rear not only being fenced in but those on the outer boundary also have a large bank populated with trees.  This really is a two edged sword as it provides a degree of security but it is a pain for any deliveries for the rear garden as they generally have to be transported through the house.  

I am normally fairly easy going but I have three pet hates, promises not being kept, tracking systems that either lie or are confusing and lastly problems that turn into a sagas.  My attempt at finding getting  a decent cover has all the signs of becoming a saga.  

Cover company said all orders placed before 2pm would be shipped same day for next day delivery, which was included in the price.  I received confirmation of my order at around 11.30 yesterday and later in the afternoon a message from the courier saying they had my parcel and it would be delivered today.  This morning I had an email from the courier saying it was delayed by 24 hours and would be delivered on Sunday (Friday to Sunday 24hours!!!!) .  Checking my order on the company web site shows it as being ordered with no dispatched details.   Which leaves me wondering how could the courier have had my package yesterday if it had not been dispatched and more importantly how can they deliver on Sunday if they don't have it to deliver.

Now I am in no hurry for the cover, particularly as the weather forecast is fine for the best part of a week furthermore, if they had stated that delivery was expected next week I would not have an issue.  Despite that it really bugs me when I feel I have been promised something and it doesn't happened and I am even more incensed cannot get a straight answer.    

It really is a non problem so I cannot understand why such happenings manage to really push my buttons.

So after arranging everything to ensure I would be in for a Sunday delivery I woke this morning to find another email saying the cover would be arriving today.  I managed to rearrange most things, or at least enough to ensure I would be in for the delivery.

That behind me, I have to say my first impression of the cover is good.   The clips for the straps are each in an individual pocket along the edge of the cover.  The cover fits well with a strap pockets sitting behind the rear wheel, in the middle and in front of the front wheels,  There is hole fitted with a rubber grommet to take a security cable that is also provided.   The cover is fairly light but ideally needs two people to cover the car as otherwise the cover slips everywhere on a clean car.  

Yet to see if this is any better in freezing weather and if it is really waterproof but first signs are good at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hornet3D said:

So after arranging everything to ensure I would be in for a Sunday delivery I woke this morning to find another email saying the cover would be arriving today.  I managed to rearrange most things, or at least enough to ensure I would be in for the delivery.

That behind me, I have to say my first impression of the cover is good.   The clips for the straps are each in an individual pocket along the edge of the cover.  The cover fits well with a strap pockets sitting behind the rear wheel, in the middle and in front of the front wheels,  There is hole fitted with a rubber grommet to take a security cable that is also provided.   The cover is fairly light but ideally needs two people to cover the car as otherwise the cover slips everywhere on a clean car.  

Yet to see if this is any better in freezing weather and if it is really waterproof but first signs are good at least.

That sounds good. It'd be interesting to see a picture of the cover in-situ whenever you get chance.

On 3/18/2022 at 1:13 PM, Hornet3D said:

This morning I had an email from the courier saying it was delayed by 24 hours and would be delivered on Sunday (Friday to Sunday 24hours!!!!) .

14 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

Sadly the delivery days/times of many courier companies seem no better than a wet finger in the air guess.

In the last couple weeks I have both sent and received parcels exactly as the contract said.  Both Royal Mail/Parcelforce. Good service. You pay a bit more then a lot of other companies……. But that tells you something.

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

Sadly the delivery days/times of many courier companies seem no better than a wet finger in the air guess.

If you look on Trustpilot the ratings are of the whole courier industry are low and a common compliant is seems to be they promise a delivery and people stay in only for nothing to arrive.  To make matters worse this happens multiple times on some deliveries.  Ideally the couriers should be forced to pay for any promised deliveries that are not honored in much the same way British Gas has to pay for missed appointments, I know that customers would prefer to have the items delivered but it might just force the serial offenders to either change their ways or go bust.

4 minutes ago, Hornet3D said:

If you look on Trustpilot the ratings are of the whole courier industry are low and a common compliant is seems to be they promise a delivery and people stay in only for nothing to arrive.  To make matters worse this happens multiple times on some deliveries.  Ideally the couriers should be forced to pay for any promised deliveries that are not honored in much the same way British Gas has to pay for missed appointments, I know that customers would prefer to have the items delivered but it might just force the serial offenders to either change their ways or go bust.

Have you seen the film "Sorry we missed you" ? The whole delivery industry is sick. One day, one of the drivers showed me his schedule, it was brutal. Frankly, I'm glad I'm retired and I never had to do that job !

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

In the last couple weeks I have both sent and received parcels exactly as the contract said.  Both Royal Mail/Parcelforce. Good service. You pay a bit more then a lot of other companies……. But that tells you something.

I do a great deal of shopping on line and have deliveries from many different companies.  I rarely have a problem with Royal Mail/Parcelforce or Amazon for that matter although I do pay for Prime membership with Amazon.  These days I can sometimes order from Amazon for delivery before 10pm the same day, I suspect this has only possible as they have a new distribution point on the outskirts of the town. 

Looking at the price of petrol and the stupid level of parking charges in the town there is little reason to go into town at all.  Sad really because my wife and I used to go to town at least once a week if not more but then the council took over the car park we used and upped the price of parking from £2 for two hours to £4.50.  We used to go once a month after that but then our favorite coffee shop closed down and the only time we have been in town for the last two years are a couple of times at Christmas.  So many seem to have done the same as us and then covid came along and now the town is a depressing place to visit.  

4 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

Have you seen the film "Sorry we missed you" ? The whole delivery industry is sick. One day, one of the drivers showed me his schedule, it was brutal. Frankly, I'm glad I'm retired and I never had to do that job !

That is fair comment and I certainly would not do the job for the money on offer.  The company I use for almost all my detailing products use DPD, which I know from my eBay shipments are not the cheapest, but I do not know if that relates to better pay for their drivers, they are generally good though.  I am usually happy to pay extra for delivery but only if I can specify when the product will be shipped and with who if not I take my business elsewhere.  I have been caught out so many times in the past with paying for next day delivery only to find the companies interpretation is the day after they decide to ship it, which could take an additional three to four days.

1 hour ago, Hornet3D said:

I am usually happy to pay extra for delivery but only if I can specify when the product will be shipped and with who if not I take my business elsewhere.  I have been caught out so many times in the past with paying for next day delivery only to find the companies interpretation is the day after they decide to ship it, which could take an additional three to four days.

Yes, next day shipping after waiting "n" days to fill the order is misleading. The worst I had was with Hermes, although when I paid for the shipping I didn't know it was going through Hermes, they completely destroyed a piece of electronic equipment I had sold on.

Must admit I don't visit our town centre much either - The problem is unless you want to buy clothes or food or over-priced phone accessories there isn't much there anymore; When it had a Maplin, a Tandys, Gamestation etc. at least there was something but aside from the WH Smiths there just isn't anything there for me, esp. as there is no free weekend parking anymore (Although at least the parking charges are not excessive...  yet), and the council has been doing things to the local roads that actively discourage driving there.

I try to give courier companies some slack as, having seen the inner workings of them, I've gone from "Why can't they get this simple thing right?!" to "It's a minor miracle this has arrived on time!" :laugh: 

It's like the local councils - I'm amazed they function at all given the disorganization and inter-department politics that's under the surface. Often it's just because of a minority of people who just knuckledown and get things done while everyone else is being a jobsworth. It's quite horrific how many industries this is common-place in these days. I have a mate in the USA whose company builds the robots that build planes, and the stories he tells me make it seem miraculous these planes ever get built! :laugh: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Must admit I don't visit our town centre much either - The problem is unless you want to buy clothes or food or over-priced phone accessories there isn't much there anymore; When it had a Maplin, a Tandys, Gamestation etc. at least there was something but aside from the WH Smiths there just isn't anything there for me, esp. as there is no free weekend parking anymore (Although at least the parking charges are not excessive...  yet), and the council has been doing things to the local roads that actively discourage driving there.

I try to give courier companies some slack as, having seen the inner workings of them, I've gone from "Why can't they get this simple thing right?!" to "It's a minor miracle this has arrived on time!" :laugh: 

It's like the local councils - I'm amazed they function at all given the disorganization and inter-department politics that's under the surface. Often it's just because of a minority of people who just knuckledown and get things done while everyone else is being a jobsworth. It's quite horrific how many industries this is common-place in these days. I have a mate in the USA whose company builds the robots that build planes, and the stories he tells me make it seem miraculous these planes ever get built! :laugh: 

Now there are a few names I miss, Maplin and Tandys were always on my list to visit in in town.  These days only retail outlets we tend to visit is garden centres and as some have some great cafes they double as a coffee shop.

• Like 1

So here are a few shots of the new cover,  I did a test fit yesterday and then put it back in the bag so this is virtually straight from the bag, creases and all.  The back is a bit baggy and looks as though it would cover a similar car with a more prominent boot.   Then again this is not a custom cover more the recommend cover off the shelf said to cover the Aygo range from 2005 to present day.  Some online reviews suggests the covers appear to fit better after it has been rained on a few times, I am not convinced so will need to wait and see.  The cover does seem to fit height and width wise so it may not billow too much in the wind.  The connection pouches finishing up in front of the front wheel and behind the rear wheel straps to be walked around back and front so it is only the middle strap that you need to try and throw underneath, likewise the the security cable.  The cover is light weight and when placed on the roof to unfold it guide straight off the car if not dead central.  The front of the cover is marked so orienting the cover is easy.

It would be nice if the rear was better fit but I am happy enough as long as it is as described and does not stick to the car on freezing night like the last one.

New Cover 1.JPG

New Cover 2.JPG

New Cover 3.JPG

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links