Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo MK1 Oil seepage after long/heavy run.

bluaygo

Hello everyone,

I own a 2008 Aygo blue. She is on nearly 70k miles and I have had her for 8 years and bought her when she had 18k miles on the clock. I change the oil twice a year. always use super unleaded and have a full service done every 12 months. Put it this way I really look after the car, she means a lot to me!

I have noticed in the past couple of years she has used abit more oil than I like. Usually 0.75L of oil per 6 months oil change, no more than 3k miles. A mix of in town driving, country lanes and motorways. I do odd 100 mile trips every couple of weeks. I drive the car fairly hard, but I do not rev her to the max like I once use to.

I just took the car on a 800 mile round trip to the lake district. A lot of changing down and really having to push her up hills (some fast cornering), she was pushed to say the least. Now she must have consumed around 0.6L of oil from the trip, which I wasn't totally alarmed by as it was some hard running. However, when I got back, I wanted to start looking at why she is using so much oil. One of the things I have done is clean the PCV valve. It was still moving, but had gunk on. I don't think it has been removed since the car was new. When I did this, I noticed a small amount of oil in the air box and on the air filter. Not a huge amount, but enough to be wondering why on earth there was oil on my air filter. I then looked down the left side of the engine and noticed some what looks like oil seepage, which you can see below in photos. I have checked, she is not dripping oil and she is running perfectly fine. Fuel consumption is roughly normal and no loss of power e.t.c. No warning lights.

So the two things I am concerned about.

1) Why is there oil in my airbox and filter?
2) Where on earth is the oil seeping from on the left side?

Maybe I pushed the car a little too much as she is 14 years old and getting on a bit, but I dont feel I was wreckless, I wasn't racing her or driving her to excess id that makes sense.

I have booked her for a service and to investigate this issue with my mechinic, but I am two weeks away from this, so I am not sure if I should even be driving her locally until this is fixed.

If anyone has any ideas on whats up I would really grateful, the car means a lot to me!

Thanks
James

Photos:

Photo showing the air box, for some reason there is now black on the top of the engine mount bracket and it looks like it had oil on it, have no idea how that got on there, which is strange!

You can see by the belt it looks like fresh seepage.

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

I would look at the intake gasket area, they're known to leak after a while

Mirror and torch should help,

Given the mileage, cam cover gasket, use a quality gasket, See if the plug wells have oil/ the end of the coil pack are wet

it goes hard with age and heat, a long run will mean the oil if thinner for a longer period of time meaning it will seep more

New pcv could be beneficial. When engine warm up and running open oil filler cap and make a note if any blue smoke coming out, some vapour is normal but not blue one. Oil in the air box could mean crankcase ventilation or pistons issue, not necessarily your case but double checking pcv and it’s passage  is a good idea. Also if any of the gaskets are hard you can try to rejuvenate with oil additive before you go to replace. Here is the best one  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wynns-50664-325ml-Engine-Stop/dp/B0031ROB36/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=WYOUAJWNOM5&keywords=wynns+oil+leak&qid=1648299829&sprefix=Wynns+oil+%2Caps%2C127&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMEIzUTM3WklIVkNEJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTMxMzM0UFdLUE84V0RDRU1EJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3MzU1MzEyUlpaUEVINTk0MTkzJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==👍

• Like 1

i got side track a bit when i posted above

oil in the air box is a classic failed PCV valve

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links