Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

86 Mr2 Power Question

philldodilldo

on the freeway my mr2 (automatic w/od) has little acceleration power over 65-75 mph is this normal ? if i turn od off it gets up and goes a bit better, but then up goes the rpms..lol any suggestions

Overdrive is just like another gear. Like having a 4 speed box and adding a further fifth gear. It's just a higher ratio so that on something like a long journey where your doing around 70-75 mph, your engine's rpm is lower (more MPG)

When you turn off the OD, the ratio goes lower and the rpm's increase, allowing the car to accellerate more swiftly.

Mk1 automatics are never going to be barnstormers anyway, and more to the point, I've never driven one, so I couldn't comment on the performance, but I hope the explination helps. :thumbsup:

well, someone mentioned to me a good question, shouldnt it downshift if i give it full throttle at 75 or so.....lol it dont yet the gears appear to shift very very very smoothly no smell of burnt tranny, and fluid is nice and red

um its an automatic... and if i floor it while going between 65-and above no downshift at all... kickdown array ??? throttle position indicator cable ??? maybe one of those ???

if its owt like my old rover automatic, it wont kick down if it will result in revs anything over 5k, a bit of a pain but... and i think jimlad was on about u selecting a different gear ie 2 or 3?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links