Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Over Honda Crx

Rookey

I have a friend that has spent a considerable amount of time and effort on a MK2 CRX and, admitedly, it looks absolutely amazing, but hes pondering on a turbo conversion...

...Until today.

He saw me driving up to meet him for lunch and has now got crossed opinions.

He really likes the MR2 and the power that comes with it, but really loves his CRX also. He's basically considering the two options:

Buying a MK2 Turbo, or Turbo'ing his CRX.

I told him to come on here as there are loads of people that really know their chod!

So, for when he does come on and introduce himself:

Have a lovely big "welcome" type greeting as per usual, but could people please leave in this post comments on the choice he has to make?

He is a known and respect member of the crx forums, just would like to hear about MR2's from genuine enthusiasts other than myself.

Sorry for the long winded post, but i ramble on, and i just plain got bored!lol :P

Dave!

No problem mate, he'll be welcome with open arms as long as he buys

a mister 2 :D

I always liked the crx but given the choice i'd go for the mr2

Welcome, welcome one and all! :D

Personally, I like CRX's. Very underrated motah! :thumbsup:

point to be made though, you cant really ask in this forum which car is better, as most people here are biased towards the MR2 because they own one, if your friends CRX looks amazing hes probably spent a lot of money on it, so wouldnt it be cheaper and better if he just Turbos his CRX because if buying a stock turbo mr2 he has to start the modding process all over again, so will end up costing more money!

if he's anything like myself then a change is good. I get bored and a new car would get me very excited.

I quite like the CRX, but as I do own a MR2 I would have to say MR2 ! Sooo much fun can be had in them !... mmmm .

Welcome, welcome one and all! :D

Personally, I like CRX's. Very underrated motah! :thumbsup:

i agree, 160bhp.. very light, they fly!

He is a member of the CRX forums already so is speaking to people that are biased right away, so if he speak to MR2 owners then he is going to be speak to an even keel of people all in all :)

Basically, im just trying to get him to find out the pro's and con's as it were of the two "motahs"

:)

Hi everyone,

Cheers dave for inviting me, I was just trying to weigh up the options.

My Brother had an MR2 Turbo and that was awesome to drive but things like fuel consumption was horrific :(

The thing is, I love the looks of both CRX and MR2 but I prefer the power of the MR2. All i want to know is, are there any major problems with MR2s that would cost loads to sort out ie Gearbox etc.

Ive been through a lot with the CRX, Gearbox Suspension bushes breaks etc and I don't really wanna go through it again in a short period of time if I get an MR2.

Any help would be appreciated,

Al

Welcome to the club mate !!

Like any car, you could get problems with a MR2... but only if you buy a dog of a car !!

Make sure you get a good one with lots of history etc. Take someone who knows about MR2s along to have a look at a potential car. Even a mechanic?

There are also alot of buyers guides online which are a usefull guide. I had a good read of all these before I got my motor.

Hope you go the route of the MR2 Turbo mate... great fun !

Bear in mind such things as servicing costs, insurance and petrol costs!

Thanks for the welcom and the info!

This has probably been asked a thousand times but i will have about 3 to 3.5k to spend if I sell my CRX and dive into some savings.

Would this be enough to buy a decent MR2 Turbo?

If not how much would you all say?

Al

sure.. you could possibly pick up a good revision 1 turbo for that price... just look at mine.

Rev1's are fine.. don't listen to anyone who says they aren't !

I'm in Reading mate .. and I've got a tubby .. come have a butchers at the Jap meet (I'll probably recognise ya .. I helped Dave rip his bumper off @ JAE)

Welcome, welcome one and all!  :D

Personally, I like CRX's.  Very underrated motah!  :thumbsup:

i agree, 160bhp.. very light, they fly!

WOW! 160bhp! I didn't realise. No wonder they're quick little animals.

sure.. you could possibly pick up a good revision 1 turbo for that price... just look at mine.

Rev1's are fine.. don't listen to anyone who says they aren't !

Right on brother! :lol::yes::yes::yes:

welcome aboard fella.

u could always transplant an mr2 turbo engine into your crx - that would give u both cars in one go, and think of the achievement :thumbsup:

The CRX is no comparsion to the MR2! :thumbsup:

they are no comparison as they are different beasts

i own both and if i wanted to have a flat out A to B backroad thrash or race the CRX would be my choice 100% you can chuck the CRX about far far easier than an mr2, MR2's are tail happy but you also have to be commited in a CRX as they have terrible lift of oversteer

Just for reference i have a MK1 mr2 and a mk2 crx non vtec

Power on the crx varies between models the same as mr2's

My Mk1 is 122 bhp the non vtec CRX is 138 and the Vtec is 160

The CRX is no comparsion to the MR2!  :thumbsup:

i own both and if i wanted to have a flat out A to B backroad thrash or race the CRX would be my choice 100% you can chuck the CRX about far far easier than an mr2, MR2's are tail happy but you also have to be commited in a CRX as they have terrible lift of oversteer

Just for reference i have a MK1 mr2 and a mk2 crx non vtec

Power on the crx varies between models the same as mr2's

My Mk1 is 122 bhp the non vtec CRX is 138 and the Vtec is 160

I understand what your saying, and yes you could probably chuck a CRX around all day long compare with an MR2. Its just that the MR2 looks a better car.

The MR2 is the type of car that stands alone and other Japanese car companies have basically followed suit with the success Toyota have had.

Faster is not always better from what I've learnt. :thumbsup:

But then if you want top performance and top looks it usually comes at a high cost these days. :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links