Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cam Belt And Tensioners

old banger

:( I am trying to find somewhere where i can get a cam belt and tensioner kit for a good price as im hopeing to do it at the weekend, but i seem to find that everywhere is so expensive or just cannot get hold of one????? please help if you can

I'll sell you both a belt, 200 mile use and a tensioner for £20 the tensioner is older, I had headgasket done but block was cracked. Hence only 200miles on belt, it looks new.

Steve

is it ok to fit a second hand tensioner? as i was told to fit a new one when changing the cam belt???? im lost

As long as the tensioner is in absolute pristine condition with no hydraulic fluid leakage what-so-ever you should be fine.

Mine appeared to be fine, but my mate told me to leave the car overnight. When we checked in the morning, the belt had lost tension due to slight leakage from decompressing the old tensioner. I bought a new one from Toyota for about £30. Job done. Peace of mind.

iv been lucky enough to get a tasty tax rebait yesterday so iv had to buy buy one from toyota and a cam cover gasket all for the very cheap price of £90.00. thanks everyone for helping.

As long as the tensioner is in absolute pristine condition with no hydraulic fluid leakage what-so-ever you should be fine.

Mine appeared to be fine, but my mate told me to leave the car overnight. When we checked in the morning, the belt had lost tension due to slight leakage from decompressing the old tensioner. I bought a new one from Toyota for about £30. Job done. Peace of mind.

How long did it take you to fit the tensioner after the cambelt was already done?

I ask because Mr T changed my cam belt - immediately upon picking it up it was noisey when cold - they reckoned it was the tensioner (was fine previously, and they'd obviously put the car back together with it broke!), anyway, they've had the car all day today and they STILL haven't managed to fit the tensioner - they're having trouble with some bolts apparently!!!

Average price I found for a new tensioner (after the dealer who had my car wanted £100 for the part) from Mr T was £47.

Because we suspected the tensioner, we left the covers off. It took about 30 minutes to replace the tensioner and 'pull the grenade pin'! (anyone who's done one will know what I mean!)

The only bolts we had trouble with were the !Removed! cam belt top cover bolts. One bolt took us near on 2 !Removed! hours because it was so hard to get to from the bottom or top! Mr. T shouldn't have problems like that.

Get them to explain which bolt in particular they're having trouble with. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I don't know what the problem is exactly, they changed the cambelt last Friday so surely all the difficult bolts would've been done then so it should be easier now. I assume they mean to actually get the tensioner out - but I'm not mechanically minded enough to know exactly what's involved and the workshop manual pictures don't quite give too much away!

Well, I smell something not quite right. Either they've broke something else and aren't telling me and are using the time for the part to be delivered, or (and most likely to be honest) as I dumped the car on them and told them to fix the cambelt they just replaced - then that leaves them short staffed to get on with all their usual services etc.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links