Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake caliper replacement

funks81

I am currently replacing the rear brake calipers on my Toyota Avensis T27.  I am just wondering the easiest way of removing the caliper where it is held by the barbs onto the handbrake cable.  Is this a case of brute force or is there a clever way of getting the barbs to sit down nicely whilst the caliper slides off?

i removed the caliper and with a rotating/flick motion it came off quite easy 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is 18 months late, but I have just had to do exactly this removal of barbed cable, and couldn't find a solution online. So, after half an hour of frustration (when I even considered taking an angle grinder to the bracket...) , the easiest way I found was to put a tie-wrap (cable tie) tight as possible, around the 'barbed side of the joint like a 'lasso', right against the bracket. This squeezes all the barb fingers flat, minimum cable diameter, so the whole assembly cable will pass back through the hole in the bracket.

I did find that some of the 'barbs' were harder to press flat, so with a wriggle the connector started to gap away from the bracket in one place only. I was then able to get an old chisel into the gap, to maintain pressure, and with more wriggling of the cable and rotating of the tie-wrap, the rest of the cable assembly suddenly popped backwards, out through the bracket hole. Be patient!

Complete job, including fitting tie-wrap, took about ten minutes, so not quick. Also, I used a 'releasable' tie-wrap, so I could remove it from the job easily when finished, and was about 7mm wide, but same method should work with almost any fairly sturdy tie-wrap.

(Fitting the new caliper tomorrow, ordered online new so fingers crossed. Old caliper was seized solid, failed an MOT.)

• Like 1

Used a vice grips to push barbs down and had a screw driver on the other side wedged between the flange of the cable and the lever arm. Got each barb out one by one. Took about 10 mins though after having changed both calipers now. I kinda got the hang of it. Seen people use a slide wrench as well - plumbers wrench. The key for me was to be able to keep the barbs that I had gotten out to remain out while I worked on the other barbs. The screw driver did this. Some dose though.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links