Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Please

dj_davo

any suggestions peeps?

i discovered a new problem on tuesday morning that until the car gets to normal operating temperature (the usual needle 3rd way up temp guage), that the car has some serious flat spots and just hits brick walls when trying to put your foot down. once the temp guage is normal, the car drives ok again.

now logically this seems to be a cold start thing, so i was looking into a cold start injector (which i must admit i dont know what 1 is - its in the manual u see :D ), and im thinking air/fuel mixture - possibly automatic choke? maybe afm?

i bought new plugs, and am going to do a dizzy cap, rotor arm, ht leads etc. to rule these out - and just as a treat.

ive done the plugs already, and this morning - same problem.

just to add another spanner in the works, this morning the flat spots seemed to arise when it starts to boost, and if i changed gears just before - it did seem to alleviate the problem.

have any n/a peeps got info if this has happened to them, or is it a turbo issue u think?

any help would be greatly appreciated,.......i dont often ask. :rolleyes::thumbsup:

i get this to and i aint got a clue what it is so :blink:

Yes, thanks for that Ian. Lots of help there.

Sounds like a mixture thing. Lots of N/A motors suffer from this when they're incorrectly tuned eg. Induction kit, free flow exhaust, etc. The mods applied alter the mixture, as the engine suddenly has more breathing capapbility. More air in on standard settings = weaker mixture. It should be the same sort of thing for a turbo, just a little more complex because of all the sensors.

Not sure why it's just happened though! :wacko: Have you made any alterations to the engine in the past couple of days?

all completely standard earl, not done a thing. :crybaby:

even my tt supra is a little laboured until it gets a bit warm.

perhapes u should fit a turbo timer?

set it on the highest setting in the morning, and go and have a cupper in the house.

sound like a plan? :thumbsup:

all completely standard earl, not done a thing. :crybaby:

Hmmm... well something's changed if you haven't done anything.

Could be something do to with the AFM not working correctly. I think your best bet is to get it on something like a Crypton tuner to analyse the emissions etc and see where the fault lies.

Hope you get it sorted dude :thumbsup:

Try leaving the engine running for a few mins before you set off, should help a bit. Mine is a bit jerky til it warms up to about 3 dots above the C level.

Might want to look into the lamda sensor or condition of the cat.

I don't know ANY car that runs mint when there cold......most will need to warm up before they run smooth.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I don't know ANY car that runs mint when there cold......most will need to warm up before they run smooth.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Mine runs perfectly, whether it's cold or hot. No flatspots. :thumbsup:

and so did mine until tuesday which is why i ask!

may be fuelling? might go and have a rolling road tune and see if it shows anything up.

If it was going well until Tuesday, I'd defo go and get it looked at dude.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

TBH the reason it has never bothered me is because I NEVER, EVER, boost it until the car is warm anyway.....i change gears around 3000 revs no higher until the gauge is about half way. Nothing worse than seeing mate roll out to there cars straight after work, jump into them and blat off all in the matter of about 2 mins <_<

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I dont like to go boosting till the cars warmed up anyway, doesnt do the engine to good if you go blatting off when the engine has just started up. Ask any professional jap dealer!

You might want to check for air leaks. Means they'll be running lean. Not good when cold. :D

• 1 month later...

well it seems that it was my dizzy cap. just put a new cap and rotor arm on and it seems cured!

p.s thx to jimlad 4 the cap. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links