Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dust In Paintwork

dawolf

Washed my car last weekend and spent ages leathering it off, I then gave my front wings a good waxing coz they looked slightly dull, anyway somehow I managed to polish some dust into the paint. Not sure how this happened but is there any way of getting the dust spots out?

If you used wax instead of polish then the dust may be in the thin film of wax you applied. Best way to get rid of it is polish it back, buff with lint free cloth or buffing machine if you're Bibbs (:lol:), and then apply wax with proper applicator pad which will not [should not] leave dust particles.

The dust won't be in the paint itself, unless it was dust that got in there when the paint was applied.

Cool, so shall I use normal polish or wax when I 'polish it back'?

I think I need to get some better cloths in future.

Polish will remove a small layer of paint... but we're only talking microns with good polish. T-Cut removes more.

Use something like AutoGlym Paint Renovator, or even Super Resin Polish first to get all the 'crap' off your paint. Buff clean with a 'terry towel' which will not leave any dust particles if you've got a good one. Now you can apply a layer of wax. Meguiars do very, very good waxes, but you only need to put on a very thin layer. You don't have to 'build up' a 'good layer of wax'.

Basically polish will rennovate the paint... wax will preserve it. Each time you wax, you're better polishing it first to remove the crap again. Believe it or not, thick layers of wax on your car will actually scratch, which is why a lot of surface scratches polish out!

You don't have to stick by the brands I've mentioned, as different people have different preferences and techniques... this is just my 2 pennies worth. Good weekend to do it!!!

Hope this has helped. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links