Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How much is enough?

Bper

Dropped to 138.9 here! :biggrin: 

• Like 2

Paid 1.369 on Friday when I filled up the Yaris

• Like 2

Local Morrisons 144.9p.

• Like 2

When I filled up this morning, the price had gone up 2 cents from last week. It is now €1.819, which is near enough to £1.54p. :sad:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

When I filled up this morning, the price had gone up 2 cents from last week. It is now €1.819, which is near enough to £1.54p. :sad:

Hi David, that seems expensive☹️

• Like 1

The place I use is always on the dearer side of other sites in the area, but never more than 4 cents dearer. As I get a 4 cents/litre discount, I might as well stick with the devil I know.  I drove past two other outlets this morning, one was 2 cents/litre cheaper and the other 4 cents/litre cheaper, so I might as well go where the young ladies are nice and pleasant to look at me. 😊

• Haha 4

On Friday I did a nice long trip in the C-HR. I filled up twice at my usual petrol station. Once before I left, and again when I got back. I was charged 137.9p per litre and averaged 62.7 mpg over a distance of 184 miles of motorway driving. Not too bad for a 2.0 litre

• Like 4

Why do fuel prices per litre always finish up with 0.9p as the last figure? 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

Albert, there's a reason petrol prices always seem to end in .9 pence it's not just a random thing. The practice has a long history, dating back to a time when petrol was considerably cheaper, and even small price changes, like a single penny, were significant for motorists.

There's also a bit of marketing psychology at play. Ending the price in .9 can create the perception of a lower cost. For instance, £1.29 per litre feels more attractive than a flat £1.30, even though the difference is minimal.

The .9 ending allows petrol stations more flexibility in a fluctuating market. They can make smaller price adjustments to stay competitive without having to jump to the next whole pound. 

Over time, this practice has become an normal in the industry. Drivers expect to see those .9s, and any change would possibly cause confusion.😄

• Like 1

It's the same reason everything's something.99 - Psychological marketing warfare! :eek: 

• Like 2

Local Morrisons up from 144.9p. to 146.9p

• Sad 1

Still holding 138.9 here... it'll probably shoot up the day before I need to refuel!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite petrol station Morrisons has closed down today and is currently being refurbished and will reopen under new ownership (Motor Fuel Group). This will hopefully mean that the petrol prices will be considerably lower. I am going to save the cheers and delight for later until the new owners display prices but fingers crossed.🤞

Today, the newly refurbished petrol station opened, but it's still branded under Morrisons. It seems that MFG (Motor Fuel Group) operates not just under Morrisons but also under brands like BP, Esso, Shell, Texaco, etc. So, it's possible that the petrol stations you visit are also owned by this group.I was hoping the petrol prices would be lower with the refurbishment, but they're still at 146.9p per liter. Its not looking like prices will be any different then when Morrisons owned it.🤬

• Like 1

Yeah MFG run quite a lot of franchises; I hate to say it but MFG-run franchises tend to have the higher prices in my experience :unsure:

• Like 2

it's still 137.9 per litre here. I filled up on Thursday.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2024 at 10:13 AM, Haliotis said:

I filled up last Friday and the pump price was €1.790! That's down 2.9 cent from my previous visit. Going on the reasoning of @Cyker , that is to make me think it has come down by 3 Cent. 😃. I am sure it is the first time my usual place price per litre has not ended in a 9.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My local BP (less than a mile) is £1.39.9, only 1p dearer than the nearest supermarket 7 miles away. On a recent trip through Holland and Germany I paid almost £2/litre on the autobahn. 

• Like 2

Morrisons under new ownership dropped today from 146.9p to 145.9p:smile:

• Like 1

Supermarkets dropped by a penny here too! :confused1:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bper said:

Morrisons under new ownership dropped today from 146.9p to 145.9p:smile:

Why are you happy smiley face at 146? It's 138 here 😞

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Why are you happy smiley face at 146? It's 138 here 😞

Mojo, Any price reduction from this petrol station is a reason to celebrate.😄Something very interesting today Morrisons petrol price has gone down to 144.7p. My understanding is that it's very unusual to see a .7 at the end of the price as its normally.9 wonder why that is .🤔

• Like 2

We all know why they do that .7, seen them and .8 also, cheaper than .9? Guess where I'm there are more competition for prices to keep it lower than where u are. 

• Like 1

There's a few petrol stations here who advertise that they have the lowest prices in the local area guaranteed, and they usually achieve this by ending in 7 instead of 9 :laugh: 

• Like 1

Back in 2022, the Government in Ireland reduced the excise duty on fuel, to help consumers(!). They put some of the decrease back in two instalments last year and again in March. As from midnight tonight, (31Jul), the excise duty will increase by another 4c per litre for petrol and 3c for diesel. So, when I fill up next time, (probably at the weekend), I will automatically be paying an extra 4c per litre.

Just out of interest, I have 'lifted' this from the web -

According to the AA's monthly fuel price survey, petrol currently costs 179.95c per litre, with 56% of this total coming from taxes. Excise accounts for 50.93c of the current price, 33.65c comes from VAT, 12.96c comes from Carbon Tax, 1.90c comes the National Oil Reserves Agency (NORA) tax, and .80c comes from the Better Energy tax. (sic)

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links