Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No claim here, it's wear and tear.

Bper

Hi All,

My neighbour has just purchased a newer VW car and was showing me around. He also told me it comes with 2 years left on the warranty.

I told him our Toyota comes with a continued 1 year warranty providing we have it serviced by Toyota when due.

He asked me what items are covered as generally wear and tear is not covered plus my car is 5 years old. This got me thinking, what items on the car would this actually cover that would not be classed as wear and tear if any went wrong. How is a fair assessment made under this scheme that gives customers peace of mind.

Can anyone who has had a positive experience of a warranty claim under this scheme with an older vehicle, tell me what was agreed to be done.

Look forward to you comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

My neighbour asked if I had any news on the Toyota relax warranty cover that we discussed in the post.

To date, I have not had any answers to this which is a little strange as it is one of the key benefits of owning a Toyota. I am sure there must be many owners who would like to know about this.

So can anyone who has had experience of how a fair assessment is made to any warranty claim that would not be dismissed as wear and tear.

It would be great to hear from both positive and negative experiences of the warranty. 

Hi All,

How many members with older vehicles have successfully claimed under the Toyota relax warranty. How are claims fairly dealt with by service centres and not rejected as wear and tear as this is not covered under this scheme. 

As the warranty appears to be one of the key factors for many in the buying process, owners must be interested if this scheme is as good as it seems or is this just a way of locking owners into continued dealer servicing. 

Please comment.

It is a service generated extended warranty, so will have exclusions in the same way as any extended warranty.

Owners have a choice - either 1) go with Relax and Toyota servicing, 2) purchase an extended warranty from Toyota (believe these are still offered -  these still require servicing within the Toyota dealer network), 3) purchase a third party extended warranty, 4) independent servicing with no extended warranty or 5) DIY servicing.

Owner's choice. 

4 minutes ago, Bper said:

Hi All,

How many members with older vehicles have successfully claimed under the Toyota relax warranty. How are claims fairly dealt with by service centres and not rejected as wear and tear as this is not covered under this scheme. 

As the warranty appears to be one of the key factors for many in the buying process, owners must be interested if this scheme is as good as it seems or is this just a way of locking owners into continued dealer servicing. 

Please comment.

I am not sure how many claims there will be at the moment, as far as I know relax warranty on came in force in July of last year.  If that is the case all the cars registered after that will be covered by a 3 year warranty and thus will not need to claim on the relax warranty.   The cars registered before July will be covered by the original 10 year warranty and therefore any defect would not need to claim on the relax warranty.

If I am correct I would not expect to see relax warranty claims for another two years but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

11 minutes ago, Hornet3D said:

The cars registered before July will be covered by the original 10 year warranty

They will be covered by the remainder of the original 5 year new car warranty.

Some owners who bought approved used, may have the remainder of their approved used warranty.

There may be claims from owners where the new car warranty had expired and, prior to Relax, didn't have warranty coverage (ie. hadn't purchased an extended warranty).

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the replies.

However, can you please explain how if any claims are made under any of the warranties taken out on vehicles over 5 years old that wear and tear is not attributed as a cause of the problem and how a fair assessment is made to determine this.

Surely there must be some members who have made a claim and came across this issue.

Any warranty, regardless of manufacturer, whether new car warranty, extended warranty or similar, provides cover for repairs or replacement parts due to manufacturing defects, rather than wear and tear.

Our neighbour had a new VW Polo in 2011. At six months old the front brake discs were showing signs of overheating and had blued. As the brake discs were covered under the new car warranty for a limited period of six months, the pads and discs were replaced under warranty. At 12 months old, the discs were again showing signs of overheating and had blued. As the discs were outside the limited coverage of the new car warranty, the cause was put down as wear and tear, and my neighbour had to pay for replacement discs and pads.

As regards Toyota's Relax scheme, this is no different to their other warranties as regards assessment of faults and repairs. 

There is an example in the Relax topic, where a member has recently had the speedo replaced under Relax on their 2013 Aygo.  Unfortunately the replacement hasn't rectified the problem, which seems to be down to the dealer not correctly identifying the fault.

• Like 2