Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

TFL congestion charge

2toyos

Little rant, so my mother was in London with her hybrid, totally forgot about the congestion charge, as we don't go to London, many areas of the UK that are far better, well Sadiq khan and his cronies sent my mother a lovely fine for £80 for a £15 charge, I find it amazing how they fine you more then 5times the original charge, yet again prime example of the government screwing it's subjects until there's nothing left

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, 2toyos said:

yet again prime example of the government !Removed! it's subjects until there's nothing left

Sadiq Khan is the Labour mayor of London - the elected mayor has set the congestion charge not the Conservative government.  

• Like 1

No different really to Clean Air Zone charges. Birmingham is £8 per day for vehicles not meeting the emissions requirements. Charge for non payment £60 (7.5 times the initial charge) if paid within 14 days, and £120 if paid outside the 14 days. 

• Like 2

He has a point though. There is only a small amount of work sending out fine paperwork.  It administration cannot cost as much as they charge.  Double would not be unreasonable.

We avoid the zone and park on Park Lane.  Expensive but then we can 'deduct' the congestion charge from the car park fee.

I got dinged in a commercial car park, one hour max.  Not our fault that the company computers were pants and the transaction took over an hour.  We got it cancelled.

• Like 1

Just be glad you didn't get hit with the ULEZ charge too!

And KHAAAN! is going to extend the ULEZ to all of London next year despite promising not to originally, because he didn't catch enough of us with fines to prop up his mismanaged finances, and if that doesn't raise enough money he will then introduce a charge for anyone who doesn't live in London to enter. This is all known, but the idiots in here still keep voting for him.

They should just put big signs at all the entrances to London saying "GO AWAY (But leave your money)" because that's what it feels like.

Everything is just a thinly-veiled money generating exercise - They should not be allowed to fine you, just send an invoice for the amount. The CC and Dartford crossing are the most egregious - You can pre-load money to their stupid account system for the toll/charge and still get fined!

I just boycott them personally; Don't go into central and don't cross dartford - It that's how they want to play, I'll vote with my wallet. I would rather drive 30 minutes out of London to get something than go into London.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

£80 if paid with in 14 days, £160 within 28 days it then jumps to £240 14 days after that they send the boys around what jumps to nearly £500

• Sad 2

My 80 year old father-in-law got stung £80 fine for not paying the ULEZ charge but did pay the congestion charge.  He was convinced that his car was ULEZ compliant because he doesn’t pay road tax. He has a 2015 Renault Clio diesel 94g/km. On the whole it is very confusing when you drive an older low emissions diesel that you thought was exempt due to zero vehicle excise duty.

41 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Sadiq Khan is the Labour mayor of London - the elected mayor has set the congestion charge not the Conservative government.  

Well I just added this little extra kick while your down to the endless list this country seems to be handing out on a regular basis 

They deliberately made the ULEZ disproportionately target diesel vehicles as they had become more numerous in London and also paid the lowest car tax. The kicker is that state of affairs came about because Sadiq's party encouraged all of us to buy diesel cars in the first place.

For extra points they denied us any of the residents discount or extended sunset period that the congestion charge ULEZ area gave to residents, or any kind of scrappage scheme or assistance.

Well played.

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

He has a point though. There is only a small amount of work sending out fine paperwork.  It administration cannot cost as much as they charge.  Double would not be unreasonable.

We avoid the zone and park on Park Lane.  Expensive but then we can 'deduct' the congestion charge from the car park fee.

I got dinged in a commercial car park, one hour max.  Not our fault that the company computers were pants and the transaction took over an hour.  We got it cancelled.

My whole point, £80 is steep, considing an sp30, which is more of an offence is £100, £40 is more reasonable, even the parking in London is £30+ and in this current climate where gas/electric is costing me £545 a month, £200+ to fill both cars every month etc etc

• Like 1

You're not wrong, it's a total gouge - They should only be allowed to send an invoice for the amount, maybe plus a reasonable admin fee. But this isn't about enforcement or the environment - It's amount generating revenue, and to them we're the piggybank.

The whole system is designed to trick people into getting fined, from the poor signage to the lack of information.

London is just the most hostile place for vehicles in the country. For instance it's almost normal for contractors to pass on parking fines as part of their bill as they have nowhere to park and the councils won't give them permits.

I kinda wish they and the haulage companies would band together and boycott London, or at least refuse to do any work for politicians  so they can experience the ballache they're creating. Right now it doesn't affect them so they just keep tightening the noose.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No different really to Clean Air Zone charges. Birmingham is £8 per day for vehicles not meeting the emissions requirements. Charge for non payment £60 (7.5 times the initial charge) if paid within 14 days, and £120 if paid outside the 14 days. 

Didn't actually know Birmingham went that way as well, is it just for the centre or is it wide spread 

The Birmingham Clean Air Zone has been in place since June 2021 and is the area inside Birmingham Middleway

Birmingham Clean Air Zone.jpg

• Like 2

Welp that's another place I'll avoid then!

• Haha 2

It really surprises me how Londoner's voted in the future Lord Khan for another term.

Many can no longer afford to drive into London due to these charges.

Khan will do to motorists what he has done to TFL, ruin it then walk away and into the House of Lords for his £300 a day.

And then claim he was the best ever Mayor of London.

• Like 2

It does seem that we, as a nation, seem to be consistently voting against our own interests lately...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bper said:

It really surprises me how Londoner's voted in the future Lord Khan for another term.

Many can no longer afford to drive into London due to these charges.

Khan will do to motorists what he has done to TFL, ruin it then walk away and into the House of Lords for his £300 a day.

And then claim he was the best ever Mayor of London.

Actually Khan had made TFL's finances quite healthy compared to the previous Mayer. However, 3 months of running it almost empty due to the Covid Lockdown put it in it's current precarious state.

And the congestion charge has been around for a lot longer than he's been in power.

Regarding ULEZ charges they're usually a condition of being awarded central government money for transport projects.

Khan should have done what some of the other city mayors did, run the air quality tests in lockdown! It's delayed it for at least two adminstrations.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links