Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water inside boot lid (behind tail gate light cluster)

Steve_tkz

Hi all,

When closing and opening the boot lid of my 2019 Toyota Aygo recently I could hear water “sloshing” around, trapped inside the the boot lid.

There’s condensation currently inside the rear light cluster, so I got the car booked in at Toyota.

They’ve just called me to say they’ve investigated and can’t find a leak or any water in the boot. So I got a little shirty with them, (probably shouldn’t have done but hey ho!) and re-iterated that it’s not collecting water inside the boot, but inside the lid.

I was then told this was *normal* and that when it fills up too much, it will release itself. I was shocked by this. Surely, it’s just going to corrode the boot lid if it’s filling up with water?

Anyway, they said they would relook at it and get back to me. Their diagnostic fee is £130 - I’m not happy about paying it to be told “this is normal”. The car has been/is dealer serviced from day 1.

What do you think?

• Sad 2

It's not "normal" - it sounds like a blocked drain, rear light is leaking or the rear washer jet has become disconnected

• Like 3

They’ve just rang back and are going to replace the rear light cluster under warranty. Hopefully it works.

• Like 2

It's not good when you have to tell a dealer how to do their job

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

It's not good when you have to tell a dealer how to do their job

This is no surprise, as I now come across a lot of people not only at Toyota, but other industries that have no experience at all in the job they are employed to do and then they simply disappear or move onto a completely unrelated job !! This is why I do my own research before going to such places and I find that I know far more than the person I am talking to (and in some cases, it's because I spent 15 minutes on YouTube !!)🥺

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
On 8/9/2022 at 12:26 PM, Steve_tkz said:

They’ve just rang back and are going to replace the rear light cluster under warranty. Hopefully it works.

Hi

i have exactly the same issue on a 2015 mk2 Aygo.. did the replacement part resolve the issue ?

I suspect the high level 3rd brake light is allowing water ingress.
if I remove the plastic cover inside directly behind the light I can visually see a fair amount of water. 

I also get the sloshing sound when opening and closing the boot

I am also aware that on the older mk1 version you can get a new seal but cannot find this for the mk2

thanks

Ray

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the sloshing noise when closing the boot. I’ll investigate further at the weekend - but had time yet…. Can’t see any water though!!

• 2 months later...
On 8/9/2022 at 12:26 PM, Steve_tkz said:

How did it turn out? I'm currently also dealing with water inside the boot. The dealership isn't helping and just bought the car two weeks ago.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today I noticed condensation in the brake light on our 2nd gen 2014 Aygo. After some investigation, I found the problem stems from the built-in seal in the brake light perishing and letting in water. Water then stands inside the top of the boot lid. Unfortunately, this also means the lid rusts from the inside. It has not penetrated anywhere, yet.

image.thumb.png.5cc988b40ab5f92be509350f53bf0dc8.png

This is looking in through the aperture where the brake light normally sits. There is also quite severe rust around the plastic access hatch under the boot lid. 

The original seal is clearly of poor quality and design. So, rather than replacing the light with a new ditto, my fix was a bead of silicone around the brake light...

image.thumb.png.e7a8b455674e1bb8a183ea0987ade9cf.png

image.thumb.png.e60ff4079c478f76989e74ae605b00fd.png

Once mounted it looked rather neat without any excess silicone...

image.thumb.png.8e6b843b67cf65ceba393da392134861.png

Then, on cue, the rain arrived. Thus the solution is currently undergoing the live testing phase.

• Like 2

I've looked at quite a few Mk2's and they ALL leak around the high level brake light.

My solution is to pop off the plastic access hatch and cut a couple of slots in the foam seal so that water can drain out.  Then put an external bead of clear silicone around the light. Don't remove the light and then put silicone otherwise you'll bond it in place and it'll be difficult to remove in future. This has worked so far....

• Like 1

Couldn't help myself. There was still some moisture inside the top of the boot lid, so nicked a PC fan and a solar panel from an LED PIR floodlight in the garden. 

image.thumb.png.951f4ca56f799117dcb22c8200fd28d6.png

image.thumb.png.a37db9a942f0c1973eee00fc0ebe1c92.png

A few hours later, bone dry!

Good fix but its now time to change the gasket OR run a thin bead of clear sealanr around the sides and top just to stop water entering in the first place.

Use very soapy water on your finger to smove it off some people prefer to use paint brush cleaner.

One week we have this Aygo 2015 and I found the same problem in the back lit! 😔

Going to the dealer I bought it to fix it under warranty, 2 weeks before it is possible to come. 
Do you have some good advice for me (and the generic dealer)?
2 weeks is quite sometime with a leaking car.
Here is a video a made from the damage.

8 hours ago, Arjan de Boer said:

One week we have this Aygo 2015 and I found the same problem in the back lit! 😔

Going to the dealer I bought it to fix it under warranty, 2 weeks before it is possible to come. 
Do you have some good advice for me (and the generic dealer)?
2 weeks is quite sometime with a leaking car.
Here is a video a made from the damage.

Water has filled the rear hatch pressing and is draining into the headlining through the black flexible conduit.

Remove the black plastic access cover and drain out the water.  Seal the light with a bead of silicone. Cut a couple of slots in the foam seal on the access cover so that water can drain out.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone 👋 

New to this forum stuff but thought I'd ask here. 

I seem to have the same issue with the high level light taking in water, sloshing when closing the boot, in addition to this, the water is leaking into the boot from under the plastic panel inside the boot.

Anyone have a solution to this? I was going to follow what some of you have done and just make it so that the water drains out but as its going right into my boot, that's probably not my best bet.

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

replace the light or seal it

On 6/1/2024 at 6:56 PM, flash22 said:

replace the light or seal it

And if the replacement light has the same issue as the rest of the lights that are letting in water and holding it?

it's a common issue a new light fixes the problem - water gets past the seal and runs down the inside of the tailgate into the spare wheel well when driven or parked on a slope

Ah right okay. So it tends to just be a problem with the stock issued ones? Any suggestion on any particular brand to pick up? Thanks in advance 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links