Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Ecu ground location ?

Markie1881

you can't really without an oscilloscope

measure the resistance of the OCV (green)

1209832580_1krvvtivalve1.thumb.jpg.9acf8ae20ac775cc59cdd80c3f06e445.jpg

honestly, i would get a can of Easy Start, spray some down the TB as it is cranked over and see if it coughs or fires

That's what I was going to check next the OCV could that make the car not start and have no error code what should the resistance be on the OCV, I ordered a Bosch crankshaft sensor because I had no resistance on my old multimeter I'm in two minds weather to keep it or send it back, even though the coils have power how can I actually check for a spark, sorry for been a pest. 

Morning, I've unplugged the crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor and OCV and the obd2 scanner showing no fault codes could that be ecu related, I'm going to take out OCV later on what resistance should I be getting on that, many thanks Paul. 

The crank sensor is the most important. The 2-wire type should produce a small AC voltage all by itself if you unplug it and measure while someone cranks it. It will be small (less than 1V) and erratic, but you should see something if it's working - try it with your meter set to mV AC. Air gap is also important with those inductive sensors, it's not always the sensor itself to blame.

Camshaft sensor is tough to check without a scope as Bob said. You might have a chance with a multimeter if it were a good one with a bar graph display - I think that might just be fast enough to see the pulses flickering at cranking speed.

Another little tip is to watch the rev counter closely as you crank it over. If the needle lifts just a little then the crank sensor is working, but you don't always see that behaviour with every car.

have you confirmed good grounds at the coils, testing - pull the coil, the plug it back in on top of the engine, you may need to ground the sparkplug

does the engine sound like it has compression, or does it freely spin over ??

Thanks for getting back bob, the grounds and power ok at the coils ill try the sparkplug test and yeah the engine sounds normal as I crank it. 

Thanks for your reply Stuart, the rev counter moves a little when I crank it, I only have a multimeter no scope so I'll check voltage like you said as for the cam sensor I removed it and left plugged in, it has good ground I probed my meter on power and signal wires and used a spanner and touched it on and off the sensor the voltage was going up and down, I'm confused why there's no error codes coming up when I had 3 sensors unplugged. I'll do these tests on Friday, once again thanks for your help bob and Stuart. 

This my multimeter Stuart what shall I set it to test the cam sensor, also a few moths ago my daughter was driving the car and oil and engine light came on this was the fault code as in picture do you think it might have damaged the cam sensor. 

IMG-20240601-WA0001.jpg

PXL_20240603_134805645.jpg

can you hear the fuel pump prime ? that will give a no start and no codes

P0011 is a OCV fault - check the resistance - yes it will cause a no start

Year fuel pump primes when ignition is turned and when cranked I can smell petrol, what should the resistance be on the oil control valve. 

So p0011 A camshaft position sensor timing over-advanced it's referring to OCV. 

Screenshot_20240604-165138.jpg

34 minutes ago, Frankla said:

So p0011 A camshaft position sensor timing over-advanced it's referring to OCV. 

Screenshot_20240604-165138.jpg

yes, a lack of oil/maintenance may have clogged the filter or caused the OCV to fail prematurely

OCV 6.9 - 7.9 ohms

Thanks for that information when you say filter are referring to the oil filter

Are these any good incase I've a faulty ocv

Screenshot_20240604-174826.jpg

3 hours ago, Frankla said:

This my multimeter Stuart what shall I set it to test the cam sensor, also a few moths ago my daughter was driving the car and oil and engine light came on this was the fault code as in picture do you think it might have damaged the cam sensor.

PXL_20240603_134805645.jpg

The only range you could use on that is the 200V AC which is not going to be sensitive enough. If the rev counter is twitching then I would say you're done with checking the crank sensor - it works. Has to be another fault serious enough to cause a non-start.

I still find it puzzling that fuel is being injected if this is not an ignition problem. Surely if the control module has decided to inject fuel then it expects to start and should also be triggering coils? Have you actually pulled a plug and checked that it doesn't spark - that would rule out a mechanical issue such as timing.

I'm going pull a plug out and remove a coil to check far a spark along with the Oil control valve I'll be in touch if I have any joy, thanks for your advice. 

the OCV filter is in the back of the head marked in pink in the above diagram (top of page 6)

59 minutes ago, flash22 said:

the OCV filter is in the back of the head marked in pink in the above diagram (top of page 6)

Bob, is there a possibility that the cam phaser itself has stuck in the active position? Would it be worth pulling the rocker cover and checking before the OP rolls the dice on an aftermarket solenoid (but after checking for spark)?

they make a hell of a sound, the filter should catch any debris, you can always look at live data and look at the cam angle/ advance

8 hours ago, flash22 said:

Cheers, I'll check for spark first and then OCV tomorrow or Friday and let you know how I get on. 

Morning, I've checked for a spark on all of the coils by putting a spark plug in and earthing it and there's a spark, is it still worth checking the OCV 

What resistance should I the camshaft position sensor. 

2 hours ago, Frankla said:

Morning, I've checked for a spark on all of the coils by putting a spark plug in and earthing it and there's a spark, is it still worth checking the OCV 

That's great - it means it's trying to start after all. So you have both fuel and spark. It's looking very much like a timing related issue. You can't do a useful test on the cam sensor with resistance because it's a hall effect sensor, but I think it's working because you've got the code saying the timing is advanced.

I would focus on that timing code now and have a look at the oil control solenoid like Bob was suggesting. If it really is out of time then you might have a better chance of it firing up with the cam sensor unplugged!

1 hour ago, Red_Corolla said:

That's great - it means it's trying to start after all. So you have both fuel and spark. It's looking very much like a timing related issue. You can't do a useful test on the cam sensor with resistance because it's a hall effect sensor, but I think it's working because you've got the code saying the timing is advanced.

I would focus on that timing code now and have a look at the oil control solenoid like Bob was suggesting. If it really is out of time then you might have a better chance of it firing up with the cam sensor unplugged!

Thanks for getting back to me, I took the cam sensor out but left it plugged in put my meter on the earth and power (red wire) reading 5.1v and touched my spanner on and off the cam sensor and voltage was going up down, so you what you saying take the ocv out and check the resistance like bob said and give it a clean, the p0011 code and engine warning light came on a couple of months ago when it was low on oil, the oil was topped up and code removed and everything was fine but a the moment there is no error code. 

PXL_20240606_110742395.jpg

1 hour ago, Frankla said:

Thanks for getting back to me, I took the cam sensor out but left it plugged in put my meter on the earth and power (red wire) reading 5.1v and touched my spanner on and off the cam sensor and voltage was going up down, so you what you saying take the ocv out and check the resistance like bob said and give it a clean, the p0011 code and engine warning light came on a couple of months ago when it was low on oil, the oil was topped up and code removed and everything was fine but a the moment there is no error code. 

PXL_20240606_110742395.jpg

Sounds like the sensor works OK from your check. I would follow Bob's advice as he works in the trade and has a deeper knowledge on automotive stuff - I'm just an industrial electrician who happens to like cars. Seems to me that you have spark and fuel (or at least can smell it), so the fundamental stuff that relies on signals from sensors is working. You're down to looking at compression and timing now.

23 hours ago, flash22 said:

they make a hell of a sound, the filter should catch any debris, you can always look at live data and look at the cam angle/ advance

Hi Bob,tested for a spark today with a spark plug grounded and all 3 coli are giving a spark, shall I still pull the OCV out and check resistant and put 12v to see if it moves. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links