Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Space Saver versus Inflator Kit

Roy124

Just a note comparing the flat tyre solution. 

Hopefully you will not need either a spare wheel or an inflation kit.  However at some point in the future you will probably have a flat tyre. 

If you have a space saver,  worst case,  you have to wait for road side assistance before continuing your journey and getting the tyre repaired/replaced at your convenience. 

If you only have an inflation kit,  best case,  if in a safe place you can get it inflated and on your way.   Worse case the inflation kit cannot reinflate the tyre and recovery to a tyre depot is needed. 

In both cases,  spare or inflator,  you are limited to max 50 mph and 100 miles before that repair or replacement. 

My new spare will be £400.  If I replace the car for a compatible model I can swap it over.  

If I have to use the inflation kit it may cost around £20 (tyre weld at Halfords). 

At a cost of £400 you are insuring against being stuck somewhere inconvenient trying to find a tyre depot that is open with the correct tyre and whatever price they charge. 

Case in point,  a Sunday morning,  flat tyre.   Fitted space saver and found a Kwikfit 30 miles away.   An inflator would have worked but the tyre was not worth repairing. 

Other time,  night,  evening ferry,  large hole.   Only a spare got us to the ferry in time. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Worse case the inflation kit cannot reinflate the tyre and recovery to a tyre depot is needed. 

If a breakdown service is used, they may have a multi fit spare, so recovery may not be needed.

• Like 2

Thank you.   What is a multifit spare?   Or is it a service like a home refit service? 

Either way you would get what you are given. 

Because punctures are their bread and butter and more and more cars have no spare, the AA (Not sure about RAC and Greenflag) developed a 'universal' spare that can fit on any wheel hub and can adjust for 3, 4, 5 or 6 studs at different diameters with different adaptor plates, which they'd fit so you can drive to a garage.

Another downside of the tyre goop is most tyre places will not touch it if they know there's goop in it, even if it'd otherwise repairable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah,  that explains it.   Basically they provide the 'space saver'. 

I presume they recover it later? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links