Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cranking noise on Start up

OB10EDZ

Hi Guys, I'm new to this so please bare with me. 

I have a Toyota Yaris 2010 (MK2) 1.33 vvti. The issue Is, on a cold start there is a weird cranking noise that lasts a couple of seconds. some days its very minimal and some days its very noticeable i.e some days you can barely hear it crank and some days the cranking last longer. i cant seem to identify the issue. I have fully serviced my car including oil change and dont see any differnce. i have taken it to a few local dealers and they all telling me different solutions. 

Some of the solutions given:

Timing chain 

Stater motor 

Oil from 0w20 to 5w30 thicker oil can reduce the cranking sound.

As you can probably tell Im not a car guy and not sure what to do. Dont want to spend alot of £££ and not get rid of the issue. i have inserted a video of the cranking sound on a cold start up and to be honest this is the loudest and longest it gets 

Any help or suggestions would be Appreciated 

Thanks in Advance

• Like 1

That's a bad starter motor - it not disengaging quickly enough - you also need to make sure the teeth on the flywheel are ok

• Like 1

Mine does the same during the 1st start up and the noise lasts until the oil light goes out. I very occasionally get code p0016 after starting (last one 2 months ago after the noise lasted over 5 seconds). The noise is usually louder during the warmer months.

@1.33 Did you manage to sort out your issue???

@flash22 Cheers for that, have ordered a new starter motor hopefully should see a change when replaced. 

13 minutes ago, 1.33 said:

Mine does the same during the 1st start up and the noise lasts until the oil light goes out. I very occasionally get code p0016 after starting (last one 2 months ago after the noise lasted over 5 seconds). The noise is usually louder during the warmer months.

that's a knackered cam chain / worn tensioner P0016 is cam crank correlation code

op's sounds like it could be either

Another few watches maybe its Cam chain tensioner, you can hear it build oil pressure and it shuts up

edit. It's the 1NRFE as it's the 1.33, it's a timing cover off job, it's a case of while you're in there do the cam chain and guides as well as the tensioner

I also thought it's the chain   but the lack of noise after a few seconds put me off suggesting it if however the tensioner works on oil pressure as suggested then I am fairly sure it's the chain as I first thought.

18 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I also thought it's the chain   but the lack of noise after a few seconds put me off suggesting it if however the tensioner works on oil pressure as suggested then I am fairly sure it's the chain as I first thought.

i couldn't remember if it was oil fed and sprung as well - it is oil fed as it has a gasket

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/13-01-01_faq_nr-engine_eng.htm

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 4:58 PM, OB10EDZ said:

@1.33 Did you manage to sort out your issue???

No, not yet. I will do the whole job (chain/guides/tensioner) as advised by flash22 and post back on here when it's done.

In the meantime, this is what mine sounds like on start up after being parked in the garage for 5 days.

I sugest not usinf 0w20 oil in your engine stick with 5w30 or 0w30 oil from a good brand.

I think the noise was to long for starter motor problem if it fired up straight away sadly its looking like the chain or chain tension.

That's the timing chain tensioner the rattle is there longer as the oil has had time to drain away, it may have been run on thicker oil to shut it up and/or it's burning oil (common on this age of 1.33)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links