Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2014 aygo handbrake sticking on

PeterCo7219

Hi I moved my 2014 Aygo after a week parked up in garage offside rear brake stuck on I left the handbrake off. Has anybody got any ideas?. thanks Peter.

Most, if not all cars don't like having their hand brake on for long times without being used. Maybe you are pulling the hand brake too hard ?  But, I think something needs looked at, because they " should" be OK after just a week !!

I noticed that my daughters 2014 Aygo brakes stuck a little before they released, so from that point on, I park it in the garage in first gear with the hand brake off and I have secured the car with four metal chocks at the front & rear wheels. Got them from Halfords and take up to 2 tonnes and where surprisingly cheap (even cheaper with the Halfords/Autoclub Toyota Owners Club Card).

The car is not used often enough, so I think this helps and I take it for a good run at least once a week.

Obviously,  I would not advise doing such a thing on a public road or even in a driveway unless extreme measures have been put in place to prevent a possible accident.

When I park in the garage I always park with handbrake off and in gear. But I did wash the car and clean brake dust off the wheels with wheel cleaner so could be connected?. thanks Peter

Handbrakes most commonly seize up due to lack of use, not because you use them. After you wash the car always take it for a drive afterwards to sweep the brakes and get a little bit of heat in them. 

Your parking brakes probably need a bit of exercise. Short of taking the rear drums apart to free them up, you can simply alternate reversing and going forwards and stopping by using the handbrake. Repeat a few times. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links