Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Keys

Rhymes with Paris

Hello, my friend has just bought an 2015 Aygo as per my ouch! thread in the Yaris section.

I just popped round to reset the TPMS with Eddie Gs kind help on where the button is.

It turns out it came with only one key.

I have read so many posts about people losing the one key, and having big problems.

So can I ask:

If she has an additional key cut as in no transponder, just key blade, would this be capable of starting the engine and disabling the immobilizer?

Is it only Toyota dealers who can make a new key with transponder using vin number?

Is the Toyota price for a new key with transponder around the £160 mark, I think I remember a post about this, but cannot find it.

New they had 1 key and 1 fob - pick up a used fob and get a blank cut, a locksmith or dealer can program the key

the other alternative is to get the key cloned by a locksmith what's £40-60

• Like 1

Thank you flash,it is a fob with the blade folding into it.

Came new with one key you say, I was wrongly thinking all cars came with two keys when new.

We have a local business here that I hear good things about, "The car key man" , probably the best place to steer her to and avoid main dealer prices, and having to deal with them of course.

New Aygos did only come with one folding key fob and a static key. We ordered a second fob when we bought ours.

• Like 1

Ah, thanks Frosty, just so I have my terminology right.

Folding key fob - the one with the buttons on it containing transponder for remote operation.

Static key - a key with no buttons on it, just key blade , containing no electrics.

If so , then if she had a static key would one of those open the door lock and start the engine?

Yep, the static/normal key can still open the driver's door via handle lock and operate remote locking from driver's door lock (and the fancy flip key for that matter) and then start and run the car. 

Both our similar 107 and 108 cars had 2 keys, a remote locking key and a static/normal key, both have a transponder/immobiliser chip so will start and run the car. As said the fancy remote locking key just has buttons to lock/unlock car, but both keys will open, start and run the car. 

• Thanks 1

Great answers, thank you, even though it is not my car, I am finding the help here so informative, and useful in understanding how systems work.

The lady I am helping is still quite upset from recent events, and not in a place where she could search for information.

Hornet,yes I have read that thread, very useful thank you.

• Like 1

Try Timpsons.  They seem to have the potential as well. 

We 'lost' a house key, one of 3, but didn't have the key code. Timpsons cut two new keys £22 each though they had to send one of our keys away to copy. 

I know there is a Timpsons in Gainsborough and two in Grantham. 

Thanks Roy, yes we have a timpsons at Asda north hykeham near here.

So maybe an option, she wants to go real slow at the moment, one thing at a time.

My fingers crossed 🤞 that the key is not lost in the meantime.

Another thing has come to light, there is no handbook with the Aygo.

Did a 15 come with one,or are they download only?

The car would have had an abbreviated owners manual, and the full owners manual can be downloaded. You may still be able to order a hard copy of the full version from a Toyota dealer - cost around £25. The cost is quite high due to the small print runs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, thanks Frosty.

I will pass on this information to her.

I like a printed handbook myself, but reading on here, it looks as though it is moving or already moved to downloads.

Rhymes, it's not just that but the hard copy is little more than a summary. 

I haven't got my Yaris yet but it's online manual extends to 1,000 pages. Most people probably won't even read the hard copy. 

23 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Rhymes, it's not just that but the hard copy is little more than a summary. 

I haven't got my Yaris yet but it's online manual extends to 1,000 pages. Most people probably won't even read the hard copy. 

Oh, okay, I did not know this.

I used to enjoy reading a handbook on a car or bike, learning about the workings and features.

A thousand pages however, I think would defeat me, not that I have difficulty reading, more that I would not enjoy trying to retain so much information on all the sensors and electronics.

If it were my Aygo, I think I would just drive it and check the oil etc.

The hard copy of my 2016 Aygo's full manual of this vintage is 464 pages.

Don't forget the current Yaris is a lot more complex than the second generation Aygo - eg the multimedia system, the hybrid system, safety systems, etc.

On 8/29/2022 at 3:07 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

Hello, my friend has just bought an 2015 Aygo as per my ouch! thread in the Yaris section.

I just popped round to reset the TPMS with Eddie Gs kind help on where the button is.

It turns out it came with only one key.

I have read so many posts about people losing the one key, and having big problems.

So can I ask:

If she has an additional key cut as in no transponder, just key blade, would this be capable of starting the engine and disabling the immobilizer?

Is it only Toyota dealers who can make a new key with transponder using vin number?

Is the Toyota price for a new key with transponder around the £160 mark, I think I remember a post about this, but cannot find it.

A MK2 Aygo 2014-2022 remote flip key is £41.55 supplied cut to the cars vin number plus half an hours labour to code the transponder and transmitter to the car likely around the £60 mark both plus VAT

image.thumb.png.0c56cb28d22996232bc30bcef8cb4a95.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

A MK2 Aygo 2014-2022 remote flip key is £41.55 supplied cut to the cars vin number plus half an hours labour to code the transponder and transmitter to the car likely around the £60 mark both plus VAT

image.thumb.png.0c56cb28d22996232bc30bcef8cb4a95.png

With prices like that I would entrust the whole job to the dealer to carry out. 

• Like 1

Same here, good info from Devon, round my way few years ago a locksmith wanted about £70 for a car key, which would just been a 'clone' key and probably just a bog standard immobiliser chip key, not a remote flip key. 

I was more than happy with the new key programmed by my local Toyota dealer and was even more impressed when I found that the cost included the cutting of the blade part of the key so it could be used in the ignition as well as unlocking the car.  One point to note, my dealer wanted the V5C owner's document before they would order the key.

8 minutes ago, Hornet3D said:

I was more than happy with the new key programmed by my local Toyota dealer and was even more impressed when I found that the cost included the cutting of the blade part of the key so it could be used in the ignition as well as unlocking the car.  One point to note, my dealer wanted the V5C owner's document before they would order the key.

Thank you Hornet, yes it looks like the best option is the Toyota dealer on this one.

I will remind her to take the V5 to order a key.

Having tried both ways, I'd stump up the dealer cost to do it (Assuming one had a master key!). It costs more but is so much less hassle.

Going the third party route can work but you can open a big can of worms and risk all sorts of jank... Someone out there has my old Mk1 D4D which has a cloned transponder chip blutac'd to the inside of an eBay flipcase because although we managed to get the door remote part to code we were unable to get the ECU to accept the modules's immobilizer code! :laugh: 

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

Having tried both ways, I'd stump up the dealer cost to do it (Assuming one had a master key!). It costs more but is so much less hassle.

Going the third party route can work but you can open a big can of worms and risk all sorts of jank... Someone out there has my old Mk1 D4D which has a cloned transponder chip blutac'd to the inside of an eBay flipcase because although we managed to get the door remote part to code we were unable to get the ECU to accept the modules's immobilizer code! :laugh: 

When I took the car in for the programming I had arranged for them to do it while I waited.  When I booked it in I was told is should take around an hour providing the process worked as planned as apparently the update can go wrong and the process is then quite lengthy.  Luckily mine was finished on around fifty minutes but for the dealership to warn of possible complications there must be a risk there.  Having issues with the ECU when in the hands of a third party is not an issue I like the sound of.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links