Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Roundabout - Foot Down! Arrrgh!

swales_p

Just thought id share my experience with you all. It happend 2day, really sunny day, !Removed! warm and no water on the road what so ever.

Anyway, i was driving along in me new mr2 turbo when i decided to put me foot down coming out of a roundabout, VERY BAD IDEA!!! i went spinning off and me girlfriend nearly had a heart attack!!! AWESOME!!!! now im single and looking for love! ha ha. only joking, but its a horrible feeling when all control has gone!! God i love this car! bring on the engine mods!!!!! :thumbsup:

Sounds like you should learn how to drive it first mate!!! :unsure:

MR2s demand respect, and I don't pay silly insurance premiums so you can go writing your car off! ;)

Safety first. B)

I managed a similar thing (long time ago) floored it coming of a roundabout (but going straight) and it just started fish tailing at about 65 :ph34r: - I backed off and thankfully got control back before I meet with the central reservation :!Removed!:

It turned out that a couple of cars had span out there the same day (elise and sommat else!) as a lorry had had a accident and it hadn’t been "completely" cleared up - but all looked ok!!

Maybe you had the same thing Matey- otherwise I cant think of a decent excuse for you I’m afraid :P

Safe driven :D

One of my friends almost lost their back end coming off a roundabout, seems to be a trend for MR2's. Mine's mainly temperamental on long twisty bends in the wet, I have to take it very slowly.

It's true you have to treat them with respect, like most RWD cars.

I have had my MR2 for 2 years now and I'm really scared in the wet. You have to be so carefull getting the power down. My mate's dad took me out in his Merc tonight in a down pour and he booted the hell out of it in the wet.. there is no way my MR2 could have done that.

Nearly every RWD (and some 4WD) car I've driven has been tail happy at roundabouts. Doesn't need to be wet, hot sunny days tend to leave large amounts of rubber on the road surface, oil, diesal and bits of fish all make them spin!

Worst was probably driving my mates 300ZX, no actually thats a lie, worst was my XR4i with the foot down. Was a case of looking through passenger window, correcting it, then looking out drivers window before finally getting the thing to go straight again. Great fun.

Driving RWD cars makes you a better FWD driver though. I can fairly plummet through corners without fear in a FWD car now, they are so much more stable!

(unless you hit ice and understeer for scotland!) :)

FWD cars are easier to drive than a RWD one.

I used to boot the crap out of my FWD motor on the A7... heaps of fun... rally stylee !

hot sunny days tend to leave large amounts of rubber on the road surface, oil, diesal and bits of fish all make them spin!

Bits of WHAT??? :blink:

It's not just the fact that MR2s are RWD -It's the fact that the back end is so heavy. You can really feel it in hard cornering. Traction is better in mid engined cars than Front-Rear cars, but push too far and the sheer weight of the back end means there's no hope of recovery. You really have to know where the limits are with the MR2 because there's no understeer - In most RWD cars (mid engined or front engined) you get at least a hint of understeer before the back end breaks away, but in MR2s it just goes suddenly.

It's not just the fact that MR2s are RWD -It's the fact that the back end is so heavy. You can really feel it in hard cornering. Traction is better in mid engined cars than Front-Rear cars, but push too far and the sheer weight of the back end means there's no hope of recovery. You really have to know where the limits are with the MR2 because there's no understeer - In most RWD cars (mid engined or front engined) you get at least a hint of understeer before the back end breaks away, but in MR2s it just goes suddenly.

Rubbish! :ffs:

Keep your foot in, and you'll sail out of the RB like a rocket! It's just the fact that most people let off the gas when they feel the car start to power slide and the weight transfer makes the tail come round.

:lol:

WAIT......... i dont go around thrashing the life out of me motor!!! its just i kinda underestimated the turbo and b4 i knew it the back end was going all over the shop!! this by the way was a scary experience and something i never really wanna experience again!!

MR2 + Rain = slow nervous driver!!!

Anyway, yep ur right, get used to the power b4 the engine mods but still, we all have dreams dont we!!! 700 BHP here we come!! ha ha :thumbsup:

MR2 + Rain = slow nervous driver!!!

Sensible more like. I,ve seen mr's do some real beautiful slides in the wet. Would do a ballet dancer justice. You boys take it easy out there. :D :thumbsup:

no matter how confident you are with your mr2 you shouldn't take chances in the wet.

Pizzaboy can seriously get some good drifting going in the dry, but would he try it in the wet ?? Would he nothing... he's sensible.

you have to seriously respect RWD my first rwd was an '78 MG BGT even thoug i had 205s goodyear eagle F1s on the back would still swing the back end out just goin round a corner after a touch of rain. But the car weighted the same as a pack of crisps.

This has been a useful thread as I'm new to RWD. I've always had FWD cars in the past which are much more straight forward to drive.

So, am I right in saying that it's best to accelerate steadily round corners rather than rush into them and then brake?

yea but when u are coming out of the corner as long as road conditions apply u can put ur foot down but watch urself and if poss play on a track not on road especially if ure new to rwd

i know it may seem like everyones trying to tell u how u should drive but TOC is a close community and no member wants another member to crash

ed

So, am I right in saying that it's best to accelerate steadily round corners rather than rush into them and then brake?

Get all your braking done before turning in (like riding a motorbike)

Get all your braking done before turning in (like riding a motorbike)

Braking :huh:

Which pedal is that then ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links