Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying 2006 Aygo private seller - what is this wire?

Fmac

Hi everyone

We went and saw this 06 Aygo this morning from a private seller. Cosmetically very well looked after, FSH by Toyota, but a little concerned about the wire which seems to be wrapped around something underneath the car? Neither of us have very much experience with this kind of thing but wondered if anyone can shed light? Should be visible in the first photo.

Previous MOTs have also flagged general surface corrosion on the underbody, however the last MOT in July 2022 didn't mention this.

Thanks 🙂

PHOTO-2022-08-31-10-34-26.jpg

PHOTO-2022-08-31-10-34-25 2.jpg

PHOTO-2022-08-31-10-34-25.jpg

PHOTO-2022-08-31-10-34-24.jpg

The metal exhaust hanger has probably corroded and snapped/weakened, so they've tied it on with some wire.

Other end, where the support joins the back box, isn't looking too healthy, so will probably snap at some stage. Happened to me a while back and back box ends up dragging along the road.

• Like 1

Agree, looks like left over from temporary fix to hold exhaust back box up. Commonly on these cars the rear silencer bracket rusts through/breaks off before the rear silencer is done for and people temp repair or weld it back on. 

I've had similar, had a rusty exhaust advisory on our Astra for couple of years, but not this year and it still same exhaust from 4 years ago, funny thing is I thought that's what exhausts do! All depends on the MOT tester, some are more particular than others, but in my experience they usually pretty helpful with their advisories.

• Like 1

Needs a back box and rubbers

she's a bit crispy and seen mr underseal a time or 2, rear axel is rotten rear shocks will need doing

Unless you can do the work yourself, and it's dirt cheap, leave it where it rots

• Like 3

The rust is quite deep and it looks a little like the car has lived somewhere near the sea with salt mist in the air. Someone has tried to paint over the rust. It will probably be fine for some time but should be reflected in the price. Could be worth having a look at another one for comparison. 

Regarding the MOT advisories, it just depends on the tester and what mood they're in on the day.

• Like 2

I agree with flash22 and APS. I know mine is 7 years younger, but it looks nowhere near as bad as that.

Someone's gone wild with the underseal and that wire on the exhaust. Whether or not it's actually holding it together or left there from a previous repair, smacks of little TLC.

For future reference, Aygos accumulate a fair bit of rust around the rear axle, suspension, exhaust and brake parts. Therefore it's a good idea to be proactive in keeping it at bay.

I use ACF50, usually twice yearly, on all the visible rusty bits. It doesn't stop rust entirely, but certainly slows it down to a bare minimum.

• Like 2

i would say that it may have a dodgy MOT as that rear axle has advisory or fail written all over it

• Like 1

Thank you everyone 🙂

Yes it definitely wasn't dirt cheap so think we will steer clear...

Annoying as it was easily the best looking one surface-level... the market for Aygo/107/c1 seems to be very competitive right now!

• Like 1

Seen a lot of flood cars, that shouldn't be on the road, looking fine on the outside a nightmare for electrical and rot issues

this is the worst i have seen posted here

1 hour ago, Fmac said:

Annoying as it was easily the best looking one surface-level... the market for Aygo/107/c1 seems to be very competitive right now!

They have held their value well. They cost just as much, if not more, now as they did five years ago.

Important lesson ; The lack of serious rust underneath is everything.  By comparison, scratched bumpers and tatty interiors do not matter at all (unless they hide a more serious accident damage). On the contrary, these cosmetic issues can be used to negotiate the price down.

Must admit these cars do suffer the worst rust on the rear end, how quickly the rear end outside gets dirty in winter probably explains it. As well as underneath areas your photos show check the rear wheel sills area seen a few gone there. Also if you didn't know, these cars like to leak at rear as well, so pull the boot carpet and check rear wheel well/pond! They leak from high level brake light, lights, rear vents behind bumper etc. If you go for a 5 door car check the rear door pop out windows, the hinges can detach, but there was a Toyota/Peugeot/Citroen recall for this so check it has been done. Oh and steer clear of the Mk1 MMT/Auto, when they go wrong/need a new clutch they are expensive and a lot of repairers won't touch them, so can be a costly dealer repair. Alot of the above applies to the Mk1s (2005-2014), the Mk2s from 2014+ are mucho better with very few issues, but then they cost a bit more, but depends on your budget.

Don't let the above put you off, they are great little cars, had ours 14+ years now and it been reliable, cheap to run and maintain and great to drive, only bought ours cos its Toyota oily bits. They have always been decent money for a nice one, but as you say they even stronger money now, so with my car maths ours should be scrap value by now, but surprised cars older than ours going for £1K+. Plenty out there, just need to find a loved one.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links