Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering issue with 2006 City Bug.

DerekHa

The old way was to use a paper clip aka The paper clip test

you can do one or both - 4 to 12 is EPS, 4 to 13 is the main ECU and there is another for ABS

• Thanks 1

Ah, now I do recall the paper clip test from quite some years ago now! Sure I tried it on one of my Vauxhalls having seen it in the Haynes manual.

Anyway, thanks for clearing things up for me Bob. Should have my hands on the car Wednesday and will give this test a go.

On 7/2/2023 at 3:48 PM, flash22 said:

The old way was to use a paper clip aka The paper clip test

you can do one or both - 4 to 12 is EPS, 4 to 13 is the main ECU and there is another for ABS

Back agin with an update on this Bob.

Followed the instructions on the PDF's bearing in mind the advice you've given above.

With the short placed between 4 to 12 the Power Steering light flashes fast and stays that way until the ignition is turned off. Is my reading of the PDF's correct that this indicates the EPS is working correctly?

With the short placed between 4 to 13 the Power Steering light then flashes 4 long, pause and 2 long, repeatedly. I presume this translates into 42.

I followed the instructions hoping turning off the ignition and removing the short would result in the code being cleared but no such luck. Took the car on a good test drive including on fast dual carriageway up to 70. On returning rechecked the with a short on terminals 4 to 13 but the code 42 was still flashing up. Does this indicate a the C1542 code I referred too earlier

Any advice on what needs looking at please Bob or how to proceed from here?

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Sounds like an EPS ecu fault

c1542.pdf 137.5 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks Bob,

Knew from the reading I'd been doing it was a possibility.

Was hoping there might be something easier to get too than that thing! Oh well the weather's stayed dry at least so will see if how it goes!

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

Sounds like an EPS ecu fault

c1542.pdf 137.5 kB · 2 downloads

Right back again!

Managed to get the thing off the car, talk about having to be a contortionist! Upside down in the footwell with the flaming accelerator digging in the back of my head!

Opened the case up and went over all the larger soldered joints with my iron and some fine solder wire, refitted but still giving the same code 42 using the paper clip trick.

I've found an identical used EPS module from a 2009 C1 for sale on eBay at a reasonable price. The seller is unusually very local to me so looking to collect. Have asked him if the car had the same steering issue in use!

Before I purchase this module is there anything else that could cause the C1542 code and is this a common issue with the EPS modules themselves?

If the speedo is working correctly, these psa EPS units have a few faults and vss is one of them

it's worth checking the VSS and other live data with techstream of you can

• Thanks 1

If the speedo is working correctly, these psa EPS units have a few faults and vss is one of them

The speedo works fine Bob, and there's no warning lights on the dash plus the ABS works properly. The steering is nice and smooth now through it's entire range when on the move. Lack of Centring is the only problem.

I personally don't have access to Techstream and it's too expensive for a one off purchase for me. Have found a local retired guy who does have Techstream but hasn't updated it recently so if push comes to shove will see him.

The module on eBay is £35 so will opt for this as it's not a big outlay and keep my fingers crossed.

You can get the mini VCI (techstream clone) for £15-20 (also does generic obd2)

• Like 1

Surprised by the low cost! Had seen reference to mini vci but had thought from what was written it was just a cable connection, I hadn't tumbled to the fact these were OBD2 readers in themselves.

May well invest in one of these Bob, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

Have looked at eBay and unusually those being sold there are more expensive than the offerings on Amazon. Amazon I think would be better as I feel happier with Amazon's backup.

WOuld this one on Amazon be suitable for for my needs?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fanomini-Compatible-Diagnostics-Professional-Programming/dp/B0BLYZ4ZBC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=39PL27KILAPFN&keywords=toyota+mini+vci&qid=1688639872&sprefix=toyota+mini+vci%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-4

Or is there something more suitable in your opinion perhaps?

By the way I've purchased the EPS module and should be collecting it this afternoon, as it's only a couple of miles away, all being well. It's from a 2009 C1 which had a major engine problem and is being broken.

23 hours ago, flash22 said:

Back again Bob!

Was hoping that this would be to say it's sorted but unfortunately not.

Pickeed up the replacement EPS module unplugged the old one and connected up the replacement. Decided best to run the paper clip test first before trying it out. Did as per the instructions and this one flashes the code 4 and 1, 41 then.

Thought a run around the block about 3 to 4 miles might cure it but on checking again on getting back it's still showing code 41. I see this is another VSS code  quoted on the last PDF. There is a slight improvement I think but it's not as pronounced as I think it should. Will try taking the C1 out for a longer drive as I notice the last PDF on the codes suggests driving the car for 5 mins or more which should clear the code.

If that don't set things right looks like I'm going to be in the market for one of them Mini VCI Techstream things!

Did you do the zero point calibration ? Avoid 4k and, 2100 rpm for the first 5 minutes

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DerekHa said:

Back again Bob!

Was hoping that this would be to say it's sorted but unfortunately not.

Pickeed up the replacement EPS module unplugged the old one and connected up the replacement. Decided best to run the paper clip test first before trying it out. Did as per the instructions and this one flashes the code 4 and 1, 41 then.

Thought a run around the block about 3 to 4 miles might cure it but on checking again on getting back it's still showing code 41. I see this is another VSS code  quoted on the last PDF. There is a slight improvement I think but it's not as pronounced as I think it should. Will try taking the C1 out for a longer drive as I notice the last PDF on the codes suggests driving the car for 5 mins or more which should clear the code.

If that don't set things right looks like I'm going to be in the market for one of them Mini VCI Techstream things!

I bought one not too long ago to try and add a new key to my car. You can find link to purchase in my thread:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Did you do the zero point calibration ? Avoid 4k and, 2100 rpm for the first 5 minutes

Hi Bob,

LIke I said I took the car for a couple of test drivers, the last one was about 10 mins long, about 6 miles or so. Too be honest I didn't keep a check on the rev counter but didn't drive in excess of 40mph due to speed limits and had removed the short 4 to 13 before setting off.

Is the "zero point calibration" done whilst driving with the short in place from 4 to 13? Don't want to be doing something I shouldn't or cause a malfunction! Or is the calibration done with the car stationary, the short from DCL 4 to 13, engine started and left at tick over for in excess of 5 mins? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious from the PDF's but they seem to asume you're familar with all this and I'm not.

Anyway thanks for all your help and patience with me Bob.

1 hour ago, toyotaspammer said:

I bought one not too long ago to try and add a new key to my car. You can find link to purchase in my thread:

Hi Sam,

Thanks for getting in touch and pointing me to the Mini VCI you purchased. The device looks to be identical to the one I am considering buying. The one I linked to comes with software on a disc that's 32 and 64bit compatible so no downloads.

Can't believe they're selling the one you purchased for £5.69! Think I'll likely get the one I found on Amazon despite the price difference as delivery is a lot quicker then AliExpress is quoting. Thanks for the link and it's good to know that at least most of it works at least.

By the way did you get  your key issue solved eventually Sam?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DerekHa said:

Hi Sam,

Thanks for getting in touch and pointing me to the Mini VCI you purchased. The device looks to be identical to the one I am considering buying. The one I linked to comes with software on a disc that's 32 and 64bit compatible so no downloads.

Can't believe they're selling the one you purchased for £5.69! Think I'll likely get the one I found on Amazon despite the price difference as delivery is a lot quicker then AliExpress is quoting. Thanks for the link and it's good to know that at least most of it works at least.

By the way did you get  your key issue solved eventually Sam?

No worries. Yes, it takes about 2 weeks to arrive!

Unfortunately, I did not. It doesn't seem to add keys, despite removing them beforehand. I suspect the key that I have is not the master key, but I may be wrong.

Techstream is a ball ache to set up by the way, so prepare, prepare, prepare! This is a very good resource to help set it up:

Is it putting the EPS light on ?

Hi mate,

Normally the Power Steering light comes on with the ignition and goes off and stays off once the engine is started and running as you'd normally see. Has never come on whilst driving!

When I follow the PDF's using the paper clip test ( 4 to 13), turn on ignition the PS light comes on as usuall then goes off for a few seconds and then starts flashing 4 followed by 1 repeatedly until I turn off the ignition and pull the short link.

As an experiment I did the paper clip test as above but started the engine and left it ticking over for about 7 mins, the PS continued to flash 4 and 1 right up to the end. Turned off the ignition and retried the paper clip test and still getting the same code 41, this is on the replacement module now of course.

Just drive it and it should clear its self

Ok Bob,

Will give it another test drive avoiding 4000 and 2100 rpm and a good 8 mile or more run. Not too confident it will do the trick though.

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

Latest update.

Have been out for a good long, fairly sedate drive, difficult not hitting 2100 rpm as it's a sweet spot but kept the C1 under 4000rpm easily. Got back and wasn't surprised to see the same 41 code being flashed out when I did the paper clip test.

I've ordered one of those Mini VCI tools off eBay for just over £20 at the end as they could deliver it sooner than others. Not sure how I'll go with it as Toyotaspammer states he had issues getting it working and couldn't solve his key problem  too.

I don't  understand fully how the VSS works together with the EPS module. Seems strange that two different modules are reporting two different codes one a 41 and the original one showing 42. Have also mention in places of a SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) and a Torque Sensor. Where exactly are these sensors located on the Aygo/C1/107 Mk1? Also wondering if one of the front ABS sensors may have an issue but don't understand why the ABS system seems to be happy if a wheel sensor is the problem.

16 hours ago, flash22 said:

AN UPDATE!

Have FINALLY succeeded in getting rid of the 41 code!

May be I should have twigged early to this but decided to tray setting the short across 4 & 12 and 4 & 13 at the same time. Turned the ignition on and got the expected constant fast flashing PS light  after a few seconds.

Turned the ignition off removed the short between 4 and 12 leaving 4 and 13 shorted. Turned the ignition on again and after the initial few seconds was greeted by a constant fast flashing PS light.

Have taken the car around the block here and the steering does seem to be a little lighter and more responsive especially coming out of turns and centring more positively.

Thanks for all your help Flash I wouldn't have sorted this without you pitching in with  your considerable knowledge, really appreciate you being here to advise and trying to guide us mere mortals!

Will leave the Mini VCI on order as it'll be interesting to get it working and what I can see using it. I'll be checking the original EPS module which I think may now NOT flash up the C1542 code, I know how to clear it if it does hoefully! If it comes up clear it'll be going on eBay selling as fully working!

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links