Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

5 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

What's surprising me is the thieves didn't do a little more research where certain components where located before taking the vehicle. 

I am guessing they were not aware of the MyT app and tracking, It was parked near a garage in a quite street and door was locked. I guess They would probably come later and finish the work they started.

• Like 1

You can bet the thieves know how long before Police respond to a stolen car I am sorry to say.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, atartan said:

I am guessing they were not aware of the MyT app and tracking, It was parked near a garage in a quite street and door was locked. I guess They would probably come later and finish the work they started.

There is a component that could be easily removed that would stop the My T tracking from working.

On 9/30/2022 at 6:51 PM, atartan said:

Are you working for Toyota ? The incident has already been  reported to police / insurance but You think Toyota has no responsibility with their car lock system ? Don't you think it should be difficult to start and drive a car without a key. This car supposed to have immobilizer and other systems to make it difficult to steal.  A new one cost £45K ... If you talk to a Toyota sales rep , they will tell you that how difficult to steal this car. It is false advertisement and promises. If they told me that this car can be stolen in 90seconds I wouldn't pay a penny. Whether they issue a software patch or change a part, they should make is a bit more secure and difficult to drive away with no key. 

Hi,

I did not mean any abuse or disrespect.  
I do indeed believe that Toyota has no responsibility for thefts like that or thefts of cat converters, something that many Toyota models also suffer. Just my opinion, which is different from yours. I haven’t had car stolen, but I had cat taken away and the feeling is pretty much similar, plus very high cost of replacement plus time without car etc. I did simply let the insurance deal with and did not care how much they paid for exhaust replacement, I only pay my excess fee. No one or no make or model is 100% secure, that’s my only point. Once the car is repaired you can sell it or exchange for something different that hopefully is safer., if there are any safer models., because the cars are very similarly designed and what happened to rav4 could have happened to Mercedes or BMW too. The truth is that the cars are getting  smarter but we now have proof that the thieves are also not far behind.
I don’t work for Toyota, I actually don’t work for anyone and this give me an opportunity to say what I think without been worried my boss may call me after. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

You can bet the thieves know how long before Police respond to a stolen car I am sorry to say.

I went to a police station and they told me to fill in an online form. The other day 3 police car was in front of Tesco because security guy caught someone stealing a choclate bar....

• Haha 1

Wonder how many CAN networks are on a modern Toyota automotive product like a Rav 4?

On the forklift side of the business we where using 2 X CAN networks 15+ years ago - there are certain circuits & components the designers just don't want interacting or interfering with each other.

We are now starting to see 3 separate CAN networks on newer products.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

It's why physical krooklok type devices are making a comeback.

I think what Tony is saying is that Toyota are no better or worse than any other maker.

You can bet as soon as any new car comes out someone is working out how to steal it and then likely selling that information. 

• Like 2

On 9/30/2022 at 7:29 PM, Yugguy1970 said:

I think what Tony is saying is that Toyota are no better or worse than any other maker.

You can bet as soon as any new car comes out someone is working out how to steal it and then likely selling that information. 

I understand that many new cars can be stolen easily but it does not make it right that Toyota would not acknowledge or fix the issue. I am not a car engineer but I am guessing they can apply a software patch or change a part to make it difficult to start a car without the key.  Service center manager said this seems to be happening a lot these days. Why Toyota is not warning people? I would be happy to get a lock for the steering wheel or get a third party alarm. Yes it can still be stolen but someone would need to put more effort into it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

I did not mean any abuse or disrespect.  
I do indeed believe that Toyota has no responsibility for thefts like that or thefts of cat converters, something that many Toyota models also suffer. Just my opinion, which is different from yours. I haven’t had car stolen, but I had cat taken away and the feeling is pretty much similar, plus very high cost of replacement plus time without car etc. I did simply let the insurance deal with and did not care how much they paid for exhaust replacement, I only pay my excess fee. No one or no make or model is 100% secure, that’s my only point. Once the car is repaired you can sell it or exchange for something different that hopefully is safer., if there are any safer models., because the cars are very similarly designed and what happened to rav4 could have happened to Mercedes or BMW too. The truth is that the cars are getting  smarter but we now have proof that the thieves are also not far behind.
I don’t work for Toyota, I actually don’t work for anyone and this give me an opportunity to say what I think without been worried my boss may call me after. 

I understand your point but Toyota should be responsible for the cars they are making or their advertisements. I was sold a car and I was told It would be really really difficult to steal with the technology they implemented without the key.

You see .. Toyota made it more difficult to remove the cat converter from RAV4, it shows if they want it,  They can design it better and secure it. Yes it is still possible to steal it but not 10mins job.

On 9/30/2022 at 7:29 PM, Yugguy1970 said:

Yes, that’s exactly my point 👍 

Manufacturers and thieves are playing cat and mouse game, the manufacturers make the cars more secure but then the thieves find a new way of breaking in and taking what they need. Unless we all can have Biden’s limo no car will be much more secure than others and again the thieves will find the way to do it. If Toyota dealer rep personally promised in writing to the op high security levels that they failed to fulfil, then perhaps it’s a legal matter, something that I can’t comment or suggest anything, it’s well out of my knowledge or experience. 

• Like 1

Just look at Range Rover security for example, JLR keep updating there security systems to defeat car thieves & shortly afterwards a new improved theft device that beats JLR latest security update appears on the dark web.

• Like 3

For years we have had lists of the easiest cars to steal. This will continue.

• Like 1

I’m seriously thinking of an old fashioned steering wheel lock. Long time since I’ve used one of those but it would be a visible and maybe these ******** might think again.

From a quick scan around the internet Toyota are no different to ,any other manufactures in terms of the car’s vulnerability.

Update: any thoughts on a good steering wheel lock?

• Like 3

Time was they just cut a section of the steering wheel to remove the device. Now that steering wheels are so complex they may just walk on by - which is what we want.

• Like 1

Toyota has no liability, if they want something they will take it they can't cover every attack vector - If its man made it can be defeated - 2018 on rav4's all have this issue, same a cat thefts on the prius and Auris no one forsee that was going to be such a big issue

You are wasting your time, deal with the situation and move on, police don't care as it's a low priority

No software fix will work, a standalone immobilizer will make it more secure (cut the control side to contactor)

As for the attack its self, no power needed a Battery pack to power the device used

• Like 1

Had someone try to break into my Rav4 3 weeks ago early in the morning. Fortunately the alarm went off and caught them on camara. Phoned police not interested. Was thinking of installing a retractable post on the drive.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Police don't care as it's a low priority

Police won't be interested as the vehicle should be insured so it's the insurance companies problem to deal with.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Police won't be interested as the vehicle should be insured so it's the insurance companies problem to deal with.

Isn't stealing a car a criminal activity ? Why do we have police force in this country ? 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, atartan said:

Isn't stealing a car a criminal activity ? Why do we have police force in this country ? 

The Police have far higher priority things to deal with. 

There overworked & under resourced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am still using a steering wheel lock it all helps.

Plus camera from house.

I once lost two vehicles in six weeks from diffrent locations.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Oh.....if only we could do that without the fear of prosecution for unreasonable force. Would be so sweet to give the scumbags such a lesson. 😁😁😁

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Markyswan said:

Had someone try to break into my Rav4 3 weeks ago early in the morning. Fortunately the alarm went off and caught them on camara. Phoned police not interested. Was thinking of installing a retractable post on the drive.

What annoys me is that if you took a baseball bat to the robbing little scrotes the police would be straight round.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Well that looks ok, but a little on the mild side for thieves really.

Humour aside, it must be terrible for the OP, my thoughts for atartan and all targets of the criminals who regard their ruining of honest people's lives as "work".

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links